Sponsored

Opinions on Cooper STT Pro?

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
I am looking at putting 35 inch Cooper STT Pros on my JL Rubicon. I have run 35 inch KO2s and 37 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers but I have no experience with the Coopers. Will these be noticeably louder on the highway? Jeeps aren't that quiet anyways so I wonder if I would even notice the difference. Thanks!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am looking at putting 35 inch Cooper STT Pros on my JL Rubicon. I have run 35 inch KO2s and 37 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers but I have no experience with the Coopers. Will these be noticeably louder on the highway? Jeeps aren't that quiet anyways so I wonder if I would even notice the difference. Thanks!
Check anything by @wibornz he's used them to hell & back & swears by them :)
Might look at the newest Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs, should be much quieter but still plenty capable :)
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-boss-a-t?ut

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I had a set of 37" stt pros on a jk and they were great. Probably one of my favorite tires I've ran.

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have 315/70/17's on my wife's '21 JLUR.

No complaints on noise, drives well on highway but they are not as smooth as the K02's for sure. Off-road they are beasts.
It looks like the 315s only come with raised white letters. Is that the case?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It looks like the 315s only come with raised white letters. Is that the case?
Think so, but you can mount the letters on the inside if you just want the black sidewalls showing.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have Cooper STT PRO 37x12.5r17 tires on my Jeep. I am getting close to 50,000 miles on them and I should easily get another 10,000 miles on them. I have wheeled just about every terrain. Sand dunes, yup, mud in Windrock, and Stoney Lonesome, Yup, Slick Rock and Desert in Moab Yup, Rocks on the Rubicon Trail, yup, deep snow in Michigan. I have done 36 badge trails from Florida to Michigan to California. I pulled a camper 17,000 miles last year while chasing badges. I have thousands of miles with the tires aired down to about 8psi

The tire are still quiet for a M/T even with the number of miles I have on them. They do not cause my Jeep to wander around on the road. Then have stayed balanced and worn evenly. I do a 5 tire rotation about every 7,000 miles. There are no sidewall cuts, not punctures, no flats. There are 6 of us that run Cooper STT PRO tires that Jeep travel together. We have a combined milage on the STT PRO tires of approximately 200,000 miles with zero flats and great wear. zero problems.

To give you an idea of what they have been through, just take a look at my bead lock ring and know the tires have zero sidewall cuts and no punctures. All five of my bead lock rings look similar to this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Cooper STT Pro? 1618482892918

This is what the tires looked like with about 40,000 or 45,000 miles or so on them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Cooper STT Pro? 1618483035959

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I can easily talk on the phone through Uconnet at 80 mph.

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Cooper STT PRO 37x12.5r17 tires on my Jeep. I am getting close to 50,000 miles on them and I should easily get another 10,000 miles on them. I have wheeled just about every terrain. Sand dunes, yup, mud in Windrock, and Stoney Lonesome, Yup, Slick Rock and Desert in Moab Yup, Rocks on the Rubicon Trail, yup, deep snow in Michigan. I have done 36 badge trails from Florida to Michigan to California. I pulled a camper 17,000 miles last year while chasing badges. I have thousands of miles with the tires aired down to about 8psi

The tire are still quiet for a M/T even with the number of miles I have on them. They do not cause my Jeep to wander around on the road. Then have stayed balanced and worn evenly. I do a 5 tire rotation about every 7,000 miles. There are no sidewall cuts, not punctures, no flats. There are 6 of us that run Cooper STT PRO tires that Jeep travel together. We have a combined milage on the STT PRO tires of approximately 200,000 miles with zero flats and great wear. zero problems.

To give you an idea of what they have been through, just take a look at my bead lock ring and know the tires have zero sidewall cuts and no punctures. All five of my bead lock rings look similar to this.

This is what the tires looked like with about 40,000 or 45,000 miles or so on them.

Thank you for that info. Sounds like they have held up very well for you. Now I am just wondering if the raised white letters on the 315/70 is on both sides or only one side. I really don't want white lettering. Also, the 315s have an E rating, which might ride stiff? I think your 37s have a D.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for that info. Sounds like they have held up very well for you. Now I am just wondering if the raised white letters on the 315/70 is on both sides or only one side. I really don't want white lettering. Also, the 315s have an E rating, which might ride stiff? I think your 37s have a D.
The 315/70s raised white lettering is only on one side, and yes they are E rated. I run them at ~28 psi cold and don't find them too stiff, but you will notice they are different than KO2s for sure. But that's to be expected going AT to MT. I absolutely love these tires... even the on-road hum 😎

Sponsored

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Granite Mettalic
Just got a set of STT Pros in 37x12.50x17 installed yesterday, coming from 315/70/17 BFG KO2's that were 'C' rated. I can say I am pleasantly surprised at the comfort and volume as well as the traction in rain. My KO2's fishtailed at every corner in the rain and I couldn't get the Coopers to slide yesterday. I was set on getting Ridge Grapplers or Toyo RT's because I didn't want the noise of a mud terrain but they are on a national backorder. It has been 20 yrs since I have had a mud terrain but the hum of the STT's is quiet in my opinion. Now just need to dial in the chalk test as the 40psi Discount set them at is sending the car all over the road.

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 315/70s raised white lettering is only on one side, and yes they are E rated. I run them at ~28 psi cold and don't find them too stiff, but you will notice they are different than KO2s for sure. But that's to be expected going AT to MT. I absolutely love these tires... even the on-road hum 😎
Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got a set of STT Pros in 37x12.50x17 installed yesterday, coming from 315/70/17 BFG KO2's that were 'C' rated. I can say I am pleasantly surprised at the comfort and volume as well as the traction in rain. My KO2's fishtailed at every corner in the rain and I couldn't get the Coopers to slide yesterday. I was set on getting Ridge Grapplers or Toyo RT's because I didn't want the noise of a mud terrain but they are on a national backorder. It has been 20 yrs since I have had a mud terrain but the hum of the STT's is quiet in my opinion. Now just need to dial in the chalk test as the 40psi Discount set them at is sending the car all over the road.
Great to hear they handle well in the rain. I noticed the same issue when I had 315 KO2's. Yeah, 40psi is way too high for 37's. I keep my 37 inch Ridge Grapplers at about 28 or so.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This MT Baja ATs look really nice. Wish I had seen them before I committed to my tires
Yeah, I think they raised the bar for AT-based tires quite a bit w/ them. I just got some Mickey ATZ P3s, can't wait to get them mounted up, but I'd be even more excited if they were the Baja Boss ATs, lol :)
Sponsored