Oil plug recommendation?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Does the SX allow for tubing to connect? That nipple looks too short for that.

The ability to direct oil, mess-free, with the tubing is my favorite best part.
Indeed it does. The fact that our Jeeps take 5qts makes this such a perfect setup. I buy 5qt Mobil-1 jugs at Wally World and drain the old oil directly into a used jug via a 1/4” tube.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The issue with the Fumoto and the Jeep is it hangs down and an easy rock target.vvIt is also very easy for a vandal to flip the switch and drain your oil pan by just jumping under the Jeep.

This is why I prefer the Femco valve. It is much lower profile so not a rock target, and has two levels of sealing so it's impossible to just flip the switch and it drain. You need to remove a cover and insert a quick release drain fitting.

It takes no longer than a Fumoto to change the oil with a Femco, but it is a much much more robust and safe solution.

Use the compact version for the least chance of a rock hit.

https://www.amazon.com/Femco-Compact-drain-7810334-20-UNF-T9/dp/B01N30AXCC?th=1
Do you know what drain plus size I would need to order for a jlu with the 3.6?

Dealership did my oil change for my last free one. When I went to do an oil change a few days ago I need an impact to get the drain plug off! This sounds like a great way to make oil changes quicker and easier and not have to worry about that plug getting overtightened.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you know what drain plus size I would need to order for a jlu with the 3.6?

Dealership did my oil change for my last free one. When I went to do an oil change a few days ago I need an impact to get the drain plug off! This sounds like a great way to make oil changes quicker and easier and not have to worry about that plug getting overtightened.
The 2.0L is the M14-1.5 and I believe the 3.6L is the same. But I am sure someone on here will correct me if wrong.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I am just not finding what I am looking for. The factory plug and a factory replacement slowly leaks.

I would like a one piece with magnetic tip with a silicon seal. Please post a link if you can.
Thank You!
I went with a "No-Spill" drain plug and have been please with it. It's not magnetic it's just another option offered.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Some good options listed in this thread, since this vehicle is absolutely the easiest oil change ever (and I've done countless vehicles in 40+ years) I don't feel the need to make it any easier :)

Just a copper crush washer for me if & when the OEM plug decides to stop playing nice.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Fumoto - I'm waiting until my 3 free oil changes are done and then I'm switching. Had one on my JK, have one on my motorhome and on my Silverado. Makes oil changes a breeze.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I started using Fumoto because, after a lifetime of changing oil, I never perfected the art of jerking the drain plug away without getting oil (sometimes spectacularly) on my hands. Now I could change the oil over my living room carpet.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I started using Fumoto because, after a lifetime of changing oil, I never perfected the art of jerking the drain plug away without getting oil (sometimes spectacularly) my hands. Now I could change the oil over my living room carpet.
I didn't used to care about oil on the hands but just use the cheapy rubber one time gloves for them, plus I get them free at work :)

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you live in PG County?
Thankfully no, but I have a customer in PG country which can be an interesting place, particularly after dark.

(Not all of PG is bad, it's a huge country, but has some really bad areas that fall in it)

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Thankfully no, but I have a customer in PG country which can be an interesting place, particularly after dark.

(Not all of PG is bad, it's a huge country, but has some really bad areas that fall in it)
Yea, just wondering. I saw you worried about vandals draining your oil and thought "damn, this guy must live in Portland." :(Then I saw you are from MD so I thought about PG County :bandit:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It is also very easy for a vandal to flip the switch and drain your oil pan by just jumping under the Jeep.
I never heard that one before, but it's certainly possible. Is it a real thing?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yea, just wondering. I saw you worried about vandals draining your oil and thought "damn, this guy must live in Portland." :(Then I saw you are from MD so I thought about PG County :bandit:
I live in Annapolis and the navy guys take care of any criminals quickly, and silently. Dead men tell no tails :lipssealed:

I never heard that one before, but it's certainly possible. Is it a real thing?
Yes, very real. Brake lines being cut, sugar in the gas tank, valve stems being removed, and toothpicks/nails in your door locks are all very real things in our big cities where you are forced to street park overnight. I've had threads deleted for being "political" so I won't comment on what cities are worse but it's a real thing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I live in Annapolis and the navy guys take care of any criminals quickly, and silently. Dead men tell no tails :lipssealed:

Yes, very real. Brake lines being cut, sugar in the gas tank, valve stems being removed, and toothpicks/nails in your door locks are all very real things in our big cities where you are forced to street park overnight. I've had threads deleted for being "political" so I won't comment on what cities are worse but it's a real thing.
Yep, dipshittery is prevalent everywhere, IMO much of this can be traced back to whether offender at an early age was given a timeout or a buttwhippin.
Sponsored