Femco Compact Oil Drain Plug Set

tluke

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, Mercedes ML550, Corvette, Polaris Slingshot & Honda CRF250L
I have been looking over the different oil drain plug sets and have settled on the Femco Compact Oil Drain Plug Set. I like that there is no external flip lever to release the oil flow. I believe that the Femco system will offer the best protection since it protrudes minimally over the stock plug and the design allows for quick and spill free oil changes. My problem is, what size to order? Some charts list the oil drain plug in the 3.6 JL as M14 x 1.25 while other ones list it as M14 x 1.5 and some say M13. I am a bit confused and hoping that someone has a definitive answer.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
tluke

tluke

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tha
I have been looking over the different oil drain plug sets and have settled on the Femco Compact Oil Drain Plug Set. I like that there is no external flip lever to release the oil flow. I believe that the Femco system will offer the best protection since it protrudes minimally over the stock plug and the design allows for quick and spill free oil changes. My problem is, what size to order? Some charts list the oil drain plug in the 3.6 JL as M14 x 1.25 while other ones list it as M14 x 1.5 and some say M13. I am a bit confused and hoping that someone has a definitive answer.
Thanks for your quick response. That helps with the confusion. I just thought that the tighter it was tucked up close and out of the way the better it would be. The compact version of the Femco is really compact. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@tluke

So, the size question you had is apparently hx.. 8-)

For years, I have used Fumoto's on everything from heavy equipment to aircraft to motorcycles to Jeeps. I expect a lot from products and the Fumoto has never had me think twice about using same.. I have no complaints with my Fumoto's.

Fumoto valves have been around for many many years. Proven and you do not hear about this valve ever failing. The Fumoto is brass.. is a mechanical valve. Small lever that can be secured and no little cap that can be lost/fell off. No little cap, and you need nothing special to attach to drain the oil. You turn the lever and the oil flows.

The Fumoto has no o-ring like in the Femco which for me is a big deal......

As for foot print of the Fumoto vs the Femco ... not that big a difference.

In closing, an oil drain valve is a really terrific adjunct. The thread that I posted earlier mentions just why it is a plus to have an oil drain valve. Yes, if you plan to drag your JL over boulders, you will want to have a skid plate if you are running an oil drain valve.

OP
OP
tluke

tluke

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tluke

So, the size question you had is apparently hx.. 8-)

For years, I have used Fumoto's on everything from heavy equipment to aircraft to motorcycles to Jeeps. I expect a lot from products and the Fumoto has never had me think twice about using same.. I have no complaints with my Fumoto's.

Fumoto valves have been around for many many years. Proven and you do not hear about this valve ever failing. The Fumoto is brass.. is a mechanical valve. Small lever that can be secured and no little cap that can be lost/fell off. No little cap, and you need nothing special to attach to drain the oil. You turn the lever and the oil flows.

The Fumoto has no o-ring like in the Femco which for me is a big deal......

As for foot print of the Fumoto vs the Femco ... not that big a difference.

In closing, an oil drain valve is a really terrific adjunct. The thread that I posted earlier mentions just why it is a plus to have an oil drain valve. Yes, if you plan to drag your JL over boulders, you will want to have a skid plate if you are running an oil drain valve.

Thanks again for the additional input. I'm probably not in a hurry to get either because I guess I have a few free oil changes coming my way before I have to worry about doing it myself. I won't put on either one until I have exhausted my free changes. I don't want to take the chance that the mechanic will damage or remove whatever drain valve I go with.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks again for the additional input. I'm probably not in a hurry to get either because I guess I have a few free oil changes coming my way before I have to worry about doing it myself. I won't put on either one until I have exhausted my free changes. I don't want to take the chance that the mechanic will damage or remove whatever drain valve I go with.
I'd just jump straight to DIY oil changes, you get a lot of miles between changes anyhow and going DIY you KNOW it's done right, too many f-up nightmare dealer experiences w/ such a simple procedure. Free isn't always free, and when you factor in your time & piece of mind DIY becomes a bargain IMO!
Sponsored