my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
What I'd like to know.. did you drive it back to TX from WV like that?? I'd recommend 5.13 gears. Just do it, do the 5.13's. Don't fear the gear and you'll always wonder what 5.13's would feel like. The difference in 4.88's and 5.13's is really negligible... and if you're unhappy with the rpm range/s of 5.13's you will want to go back to like 4.10/4.56 anyway. For towing, you want 5.13's. It will make your trans and diffs happy under load.

Those tires also aren't the best for nor'east wheeling. Some mud tires (or boggers even) would have gone a long way in getting you out. Eastern wheeling w/o lockers on AT tires is recipe for what happened.
Yup! I actually went to NH after destroying the diff I had no issues driving it back. Well now I’m really leaning towards the 5.13 since I’ll be towing a lot more.

To be honest the tires have performed really good! They’ve also lasted about 45k mile and still have about 10-15k miles left on them. Now I’m looking at picking up some Nitto tires after these are done!
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised you drove it back like 1000 miles like that.. surely what disintegrated the spiders. The nitto ridge grapplers are superior to ko2's.. I don't know why so many people love k02's.. I'd run a KM3 before a ko and this is my weather today.

Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I'm surprised you drove it back like 1000 miles like that.. surely what disintegrated the spiders. The nitto ridge grapplers are superior to ko2's.. I don't know why so many people love k02's.. I'd run a KM3 before a ko.
It was more like 2000 miles lol to be honest the K02’s have been amazing! I do not regret purchasing them as being my first off roading tire. They did perform great, the road noise was very minimal, and obviously the life of the tire is great!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's good to know I can destroy an advantek diff and still get home driving 2k miles. that's amazing. these are great differentials.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
It's good to know I can destroy an advantek diff and still get home driving 2k miles. that's amazing. these are great differentials.
Right! I mean I lost any ability to use my 4x4 but it’s fine since I was able to drive so far!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your story is really a testament to how durable these JL's are. I've personally driven my front axle into the quarter panel, taco'd my control arms, and made it home. New adjustable CA's and done.

The fact that you destroyed the gears and drove home 2kmiles??? crazy.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Your story is really a testament to how durable these JL's are. I've personally driven my front axle into the quarter panel, taco'd my control arms, and made it home. New adjustable CA's and done.

The fact that you destroyed the gears and drove home 2kmiles??? crazy.
Yeah I was was sure how bad the diff was until the cover was taken off! I thought maybe the axle shafts splines broke off but not this bad lol The front diff wasn’t making any noise or acting up when I was in 2 wheel drive

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was considering a set of mud tires for mine, but the KO2s have been impressive, even in mud. ON Thursday, I was digging to china in a mud hole in the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia and they pulled me through it. That wasn't the first time they surprised me in mud. And they are vastly superior on pavement and in snow than any mud tire I've ever had.

With 37s and heavy towing, I'd agree that the 5.13 gearing would get the job done well. I've got 35's and 4.10 gearing and a manual and mine tows my boat just fine, but the 37's will rob some power, for sure.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I was considering a set of mud tires for mine, but the KO2s have been impressive, even in mud. ON Thursday, I was digging to china in a mud hole in the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia and they pulled me through it. That wasn't the first time they surprised me in mud. And they are vastly superior on pavement and in snow than any mud tire I've ever had.

With 37s and heavy towing, I'd agree that the 5.13 gearing would get the job done well. I've got 35's and 4.10 gearing and a manual and mine tows my boat just fine, but the 37's will rob some power, for sure.

Yeah I think the 5.13’s will be the best for the things that I’ll be doing! Yeah the jeep is so under powered already lol

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
FWIW, the front m186 is a Dana 30. You can use JK gears in it and it use the same front Air Locker as the JK 30 (with 3.73 up gears). The weird things are the diff cover- unique to the JL, and the stock 3.45 ring gear. The front ring gear is a thin cut gear. The usual carrier break for a D30 is 3.54 down, 3.73 up. The 3.45 gear is on a 3.73 up factory carrier which means a thin cut gear is used. It also means that if you change to an Air Locker up front with a stock gear, you don't have to change it when you change to lower gears.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I'd go 4.56 with that size tire. 4.10's will pull them well, but 4.56 would be ideal. Just my humble opinion.

How was Bear Wallow? I read that they make you wear helmets even in a Jeep.

I found Bear Wallow to be easy. Most of the trails are maintained with a dozer. Yes, you are required to wear a hemet. Not saying I did or didn't, we were the only two Jeeps on the trail the day I ran it. While I did not do any of the double black diamond trails, it was not because they looked difficult. The ones we pasted were all overgrown with brush and it was not worth pinstriping the Jeep for the trail. The black diamond trails were easy, the only reason I though they may have been labeled a black diamond was because some of them had some steep climbs.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Do you have a total repair bill yet? Man you must have drove it like you stole it.

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I found Bear Wallow to be easy. Most of the trails are maintained with a dozer. Yes, you are required to wear a hemet. Not saying I did or didn't, we were the only two Jeeps on the trail the day I ran it. While I did not do any of the double black diamond trails, it was not because they looked difficult. The ones we pasted were all overgrown with brush and it was not worth pinstriping the Jeep for the trail. The black diamond trails were easy, the only reason I though they may have been labeled a black diamond was because some of them had some steep climbs.
I was highly disappointed with Bear Wallow. Paying $50 for the off road pass and not even having any difficult obstacles. I did the black trails and was super bored so I decided to leave. I saw a double black diamond trail and decided to check it out. I made it down one trail and it wasn’t super bad but then I got to an intersection where I either went straight up hill or straight down. I didn’t want to do either one so I tried to turn around. Well the ground decided to give way and my front drivers side tire slip into the trail and the weight of the Jeep took over and I couldn’t stop. I didn’t really take any pictures of when I got stuck but this is the only thing I have. Being stuck there for 8 hours really sucked!

ADFD3ABB-DDD5-43B3-A918-1610C045E464.jpeg

627C8B1A-4E84-4616-8052-EADE3D06F63F.jpeg

OP
OP
my_0range_crush

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Do you have a total repair bill yet? Man you must have drove it like you stole it.
I’m right around $8,000 right now but I’m still waiting on getting the rest of the wheels replaced and the front diff covered. So it should be around $10k

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I’m right around $8,000 right now but I’m still waiting on getting the rest of the wheels replaced and the front diff covered. So it should be around $10k
We always say, "thats the cost of wheeling."
Sponsored