Sponsored

How to take advantage of ESS effectively.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
After driving my Jeep for these past few weeks and getting to learn how to work ESS.

First off, ESS will not auto stop your engine until it is at operating temperature so no need to worry about it until its warmed up.

Tips:
1. The auto stop is sensitive to your brake pressure. When you approach a stop sign or some other quick stop where an auto stop isn't necessary, use light brake pressure to avoid an auto stop when your going to immediately move after stopping.
2. Use medium brake pressure to initiate an auto stop when you're at a red light or stop sign where you wait for traffic or drive through window.
3. The engine will restart when you start to lift your foot off the brake, so keep a consistent brake pressure to avoid an unnecessary restart for the duration of the red light.
4. Don't have your A/C cranked to maximum. This will cause your ESS to keep cranking your engine several times at a stop light and will get annoying pretty quickly. I use my automatic climate control to keep a comfortable temp and it doesn't start the engine unnecessarily.
5. In heavy stop and go traffic, just disable the ESS. Chances are you'll only be stopped for a second or two and the ESS will drive you insane.
6. Shift into park quickly.

Anyone else have any tips that don't involve a big Grumpy Cat response?
Sponsored

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
ESS just plain sucks. It is only there to get this Jeep to do better on the over regulated EPA requirements. It is hard on the engine, it is annoying, it adds cost to the initial purchase of the vehicle, and increases future maintenance cost.

The only good ESS is a DISBALED ESS.

Sorry I can't give you a non "big Grumpy Cat response".

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ESS just plain sucks. It is only there to get this Jeep to do better on the over regulated EPA requirements. It is hard on the engine, it is annoying, it adds cost to the initial purchase of the vehicle, and increases future maintenance cost.

The only good ESS is a DISBALED ESS.

Sorry I can't give you a non "big Grumpy Cat response".
It's no harder on the engine than having thousands of explosions per minute going on inside of it.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
After driving my Jeep for these past few weeks and getting to learn how to work ESS.

First off, ESS will not auto stop your engine until it is at operating temperature so no need to worry about it until its warmed up.

Tips:
1. The auto stop is sensitive to your brake pressure. When you approach a stop sign or some other quick stop where an auto stop isn't necessary, use light brake pressure to avoid an auto stop when your going to immediately move after stopping.
2. Use medium brake pressure to initiate an auto stop when you're at a red light or stop sign where you wait for traffic or drive through window.
3. The engine will restart when you start to lift your foot off the brake, so keep a consistent brake pressure to avoid an unnecessary restart for the duration of the red light.
4. Don't have your A/C cranked to maximum. This will cause your ESS to keep cranking your engine several times at a stop light and will get annoying pretty quickly. I use my automatic climate control to keep a comfortable temp and it doesn't start the engine unnecessarily.
5. In heavy stop and go traffic, just disable the ESS. Chances are you'll only be stopped for a second or two and the ESS will drive you insane.
6. Shift into park quickly.

Anyone else have any tips that don't involve a big Grumpy Cat response?
#4 - A soft top in the summer in Louisiana - AC will 100% be running high and cold.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
#4 - A soft top in the summer in Louisiana - AC will 100% be running high and cold.
Sounds like a perfect time to have the top down. :jk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is no advantage to be taken with ESS. It sounds ridiculous. When I forget to turn it off, it is embarrassing at stoplights.
Please explain.

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's no harder on the engine than having thousands of explosions per minute going on inside of it.
lol... I'm not going to get into why it's hard on an engine to start and stop it over and over. If you believe your statement, I can't help you.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol... I'm not going to get into why it's hard on an engine to start and stop it over and over. If you believe your statement, I can't help you.
You'll note how I said to disable it in heavy stop and go traffic? I'm not saying let it go constantly every two seconds, I'm trying to help people live with something that isn't going away. I'm getting much better fuel economy than my old vehicle now and part of that is taking advantage of the ESS at stop lights rather than just sit and complain about it.

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You'll note how I said to disable it in heavy stop and go traffic? I'm not saying let it go constantly every two seconds, I'm trying to help people live with something that isn't going away. I'm getting much better fuel economy than my old vehicle now and part of that is taking advantage of the ESS at stop lights rather than just sit and complain about it.
oh it is going away... it will get disabled on my JL, this will be the first thing I do to mine before I even leave the dealer lot.

Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
It's 2018 we need less things distracting us when driving, not more. We will eventually look back at this as the bad idea that it is. Kinda like those automatic seat belts that were around for like 2 years in the 90's. Will be disabling this.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
oh it is going away... it will get disabled on my JL, this will be the first thing I do to mine before I even leave the dealer lot.
I won't stop you from pressing the button... but just know I'm trying to help people understand the system before they wail and gnash their teeth over it.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
This thread will be very useful...

Suggest JL/JLU owner's also, RTFM. The attached PDF file displays the pages pertaining to ESS from the User's Guide.

Attachments

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's 2018 we need less things distracting us when driving, not more. We will eventually look back at this as the bad idea that it is. Kinda like those automatic seat belts that were around for like 2 years in the 90's. Will be disabling this.
If you find stopping at a stop light distracting then I don't know how to help you.

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I won't stop you from pressing the button... but just know I'm trying to help people understand the system before they wail and gnash their teeth over it.
Understand your approach... we will just have to agree to disagree about the usefulness of this unnecessary "feature".

Currently there are some easy hacks(hood sensor) to disable it so you don't have to hit the button every start, but eventually there will be a better way to deal with disabling this. There are threads on this board that discuss this in more detail.
Sponsored