OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Since many people report the engine knock at high temps, it would be interesting to see if a lower temp would keep the mixture richer, therefore eliminating the knocking. The theory is the mix is too lean at higher temps.
how dare you question the engineers, its made that way, but seriously i think for the knocking issue A lower thermostat wont help, i would go with a high cfm aux pusher fan and route a switch inside the cabin, for testing.

My idle temps on a 3.6 MT get over 215 on a hot day when sitting for a while. Do I have a 220 degree thermostat?
It means you cooling system is inadequate, if at no load you temps are hitting 215 then u might want to get it checked out or upgrade your system, if you want suggestions with that let me know.

You're not an engineer. You are wrong.
Yep i am not, im just a electrical engineer, just like all the people who said the steering felt wrong and all the people who said its normal, till jeep decided oh its not, we now have a new steering box, then all of them decided hey its not normal i want it changed too, the mopar springs bowing on both or just one side that was also normal. Its my jeep if i wanted to run it the way they manufactured it i wouldnt have bought a wrangler, people will do anything but answer your question.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
how dare you question the engineers, its made that way, but seriously i think for the knocking issue A lower thermostat wont help, i would go with a high cfm aux pusher fan and route a switch inside the cabin, for testing.

It means you cooling system is inadequate, if at no load you temps are hitting 215 then u might want to get it checked out or upgrade your system, if you want suggestions with that let me know.

Yep i am not, im just a electrical engineer, just like all the people who said the steering felt wrong and all the people who said its normal, till jeep decided oh its not, we now have a new steering box, then all of them decided hey its not normal i want it changed too, the mopar springs bowing on both or just one side that was also normal. Its my jeep if i wanted to run it the way they manufactured it i wouldnt have bought a wrangler, people will do anything but answer your question.

All things considered right or wrong I'm not sure a lower temp thermostat exists - you might try digging into other FCA/chrysler 3.6 applications in other vehicles and see if they run a differently specced thermostat.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All things considered right or wrong I'm not sure a lower temp thermostat exists - you might try digging into other FCA/chrysler 3.6 applications in other vehicles and see if they run a differently specced thermostat.
I tried the lowest i found that will fit is for a grand cherokee at 194, i think i might try that, i might just buy a cheap replacement and drill holes in it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the lowest i found that will fit is for a grand cherokee at 194, i think i might try that, i might just buy a cheap replacement and drill holes in it.
The thermostat is opening, if the temp is leveling out. It would keep rising if it was faulted and not opening.

Water, and coolant mix alike, will boil at 212°F. But the coolant system in a motor is pressurized, which raises the fluids boiling point. This prevents the formation of steam pockets that can interrupt fluid flow and cause corrosion and contamination of the coolant.

I would sooner concern myself with the radiator. I'm not a worldly person, but isn't Kuwait a sandy environment? Even a thin layer of contamination will have a negative impact on the heat rejecting ability of an aluminum finned radiator.

I don't claim this to be the cause, but just thought it would be wise to first try something easier and less invasive.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yall are on a good one on this dude. its just a t-stat. my old trucks i take them out and toss them. no need in Crapufornia summer temps into the 120 and winter lowest is 30's no reason. then again zero computer on my trucks.

any ways have you tried to find one for a Jeep JK with the 3.6? riPP was making them for running it with their Super chagersystems. do note that most the people running a 180 noted to make adjustments to the fan programming

https://www.quadratec.com/products/51111_0101_14.htm

Sponsored

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yall are on a good one on this dude. its just a t-stat. my old trucks i take them out and toss them. no need in Crapufornia summer temps into the 120 and winter lowest is 30's no reason. then again zero computer on my trucks.

any ways have you tried to find one for a Jeep JK with the 3.6?
Thank you, I think im going to order the 180f mishimoto and fit it into the housing and see how it goes, we have the same temps here in Kuwait except its more like 140+ in the summer and the lowest we will ever see is 30 on a few winter mornings.

people here never ran an open thermostat in their life, i had a 96 impala ss ran open thermostat and dual aux fans, had a 01 xj and that also ran open thermostats and dual aux fans, and a 2008 chevy caprice also known as holden caprice with just open thermostats.

With the jk going in sand we always pulled a fuse to turn off traction control.
On the jl i had issues with BLD/ABS something cutting power so i got a tazer and turning off traction throws on a few service and errors and check messages, using it to run diff locks in 2hi 4hi is also another thing engineers didnt design it to do, swaybar disconnect in 2hi 4hi another thing it was not designed to do, it wasnt designed to be jumped or to run 40inch tires or water forded more than 30inches, Supercharged or anything, people do that daily but god they are so scared of a check engine light, there is an episode on the simpsons that tells u how to get it fixed.
Jeep Wrangler JL anyone makes a lower temp thermostat ? 420C47E7-F174-4272-AE0C-A91867D61377

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is your reasoning exactly besides "it should be colder"?
"I WANT it be colder" What it should be is irrelevant, thats it really, i have free time and 100$ to spend on a thermostat, the benefits of spending 6 months in lock down with full pay, maybe il blow it up and end up with an excuse to do a v8 swap.

Wow really all that. If only someone tried it and told us if it works on our system.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
"I WANT it be colder" What it should be is irrelevant, thats it really, i have free time and 100$ to spend on a thermostat, the benefits of spending 6 months in lock down with full pay, maybe il blow it up and end up with an excuse to do a v8 swap.
Just curious what your goal is. Unless its just to change something to change something. Obviously "to make it cooler" but WHY.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious what your goal is. Unless its just to change something to change something. Obviously "to make it cooler" but WHY.
Ever since i got my license i have had issues with cars over heating, the whole country does its either over heating or the ac condenser is too small, i think its 1995 where chevy stopped exporting cars to us with "gulf" Specs we had bigger radiators, lower thermostats, and bigger fans, thats when we started seeing issues and we began using lower thermostats and aux fans. Getting off work and into ur car at 2pm after ur car has been baking in the sun for 7 hours in 140+ Temps measured in the shade, the interior is 200+ and the engine bay is as hot, driving it in traffic back home is a nightmare that we all live through, the condenser is heat soaked, some condensor fans are at their thermal limit already and short cycle. And those without it had relays melt or burned fan motors, the jl keeps it under control as opposed to the jk where it overheated and the ac

As mentioned before i work with electricity and electronics and some air conditioning, any motor, cpu ic or any electronic component Isnt built to withstand these temps and nearing 99c or 210f we have a thermal shutdown, the engine might be built to withstand that range but i seriously doubt everything in the engine bay is designed to withstand 210+ temps, so the reasons may vary from person to person but in the end cooler engine temps are better at least for me, i rather have it at idle at 180 than 203 which is its current temp, might be bad might burn more fuel, but again il never know till i try and its a simple job to not try it.

The cooling fans are electric motors, just look up how hot should an electric motor run ? If the radiator is at 210+ constantly and the fan is pulling that heat towards it, its not going to live for long. Unless the engineers at jeep found a way to build a dc motor that can work in 210+ ambient then a little cooler temps at idle will help.

So 180 thermostat and test it, if it levels off around 180 then all good, if it doesnt then then a 300$ gladiator 800w fan is the next step with a bypass switch and call it done.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
? If the radiator is at 210+ constantly and the fan is pulling that heat towards it, its not going to live for long. Unless the engineers at jeep found a way to build a dc motor that can work in 210+ ambient then a little cooler temps at idle will help.
Who said the radiator ever hits 210 ever, let alone constantly? Have you measured the radiator temp? Have you even located the sender that drives the dash temp? Obviously it's your prerogative to go re-engineering things willy nilly, but I'd think understanding what is going on first would be beneficial.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I think the OP's premise is that FCA doesn't know what they're doing and the entire forum's response is: ok, but what makes you think you know what you're doing? A valid question.

The Wrangler had to be designed for some serious temps considering it's used off-roads in deserts in the US. It's not like the Gulf is the only place that gets hot. Maybe our friends in Arizona can chime in here.
Sponsored