Front Trail Camera

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I have a 19 JLUR. I see that on the 21 Jeeps you can get the front trail camera. Does or has anyone added that to there Jeep? I have the 8.4 Radio. I was told and have read that the 2020 Jeeps could get the Camera, and the dealer could install it, and flash the radio to work with it. Would that be possible with a 19? I love my Jeep, and don't see the point in trading just for that option. That's the only option I would want over mine. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
So, I have a 19 JLUR. I see that on the 21 Jeeps you can get the front trail camera. Does or has anyone added that to there Jeep? I have the 8.4 Radio. I was told and have read that the 2020 Jeeps could get the Camera, and the dealer could install it, and flash the radio to work with it. Would that be possible with a 19? I love my Jeep, and don't see the point in trading just for that option. That's the only option I would want over mine. Thanks for the help.
I guess it could be possible, though not likely. I think the best best is to use a RCA switch box against the Aux switches. This way, you get HD for the front cam at the touch of a button.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm odd when it comes to that stuff. Want factory or nothing. Yes, I know, that makes no sense.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I'm odd when it comes to that stuff. Want factory or nothing. Yes, I know, that makes no sense.
Well, a camera is a camera. The factory sources the cameras from a third party vendor anyway. And the factory 8.4" radio was designed for a second camera, so you would have a "factory" installation with the Z Automotive camera for under $200, plus programming and cost to install if you're not inclined to do it yourself. (I would do it myself. It's not hard - I added a front camera to my JL without the 8.4" radio by adding a separate monitor for the camera on top of the dash. Yours would be much easier since the camera would plug directly into the back of your 8.4" radio, and you could buy the Tazer Lite programmer for $220 and program it yourself. $400 all in, and no dealership involvement, so you'd know the job was done right.)

But, if you'd rather spend $45k for a 2020 in order to have a "factory" camera, that's your prerogative!

Sponsored

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
very cool. this is the first i'm hearing of this and would really like this. only problem is that i don't really have much use for it for the $400 (purchase and install) it'd cost me.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, a camera is a camera. The factory sources the cameras from a third party vendor anyway. And the factory 8.4" radio was designed for a second camera, so you would have a "factory" installation with the Z Automotive camera for under $200, plus programming and cost to install if you're not inclined to do it yourself. (I would do it myself. It's not hard - I added a front camera to my JL without the 8.4" radio by adding a separate monitor for the camera on top of the dash. Yours would be much easier since the camera would plug directly into the back of your 8.4" radio, and you could buy the Tazer Lite programmer for $220 and program it yourself. $400 all in, and no dealership involvement, so you'd know the job was done right.)

But, if you'd rather spend $45k for a 2020 in order to have a "factory" camera, that's your prerogative!
I'm not trying to trade my Jeep. Like I said, I just would like the factory camera if there is a way to install it. I like certain things to be factory instead of aftermarket. I know I'm weird, but that's just the way I am.

JL1LE

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU White Rubicon
^^
I'm not trying to trade my Jeep. Like I said, I just would like the factory camera if there is a way to install it. I like certain things to be factory instead of aftermarket. I know I'm weird, but that's just the way I am.
Then it's not possible. What @emgeesea linked is the easiest way.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
4WP has this camera for $299, supposedly same as stock option.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/alpine-multi-view-front-camera-hce-c2600fd/_/R-DSJK-HCE-C2600FD

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

The big problem with every single third party vendor solution mentioned here is that they tie into the ancient composite RCA input, giving you less-than 480p standard definition. The factory option is high resolution just like the backup camera is. It's a pretty big quality difference.

Nonetheless it seems like the OEM option is doable but the puzzle hasn't been solved yet. The gladiator uses this $300 video processor module which probably is an HD video switcher:
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-video-processor-module-68329740ae?c=bD00Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

That, along with a different firmware for the 8.4 unit probably does the trick. Another user on here mentioned that their dealer claimed it was possible with that part and a flash at the dealer, but I haven't seen anyone actually get the job done yet. I do think once we start seeing 2021 wranglers ship with this option we'll be able to retrofit all day. The Gladiator's 8.4 headunit I'm almost positive is the same exact part as the Wrangler one.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
The big problem with every single third party vendor solution mentioned here is that they tie into the ancient composite RCA input, giving you less-than 480p standard definition. The factory option is high resolution just like the backup camera is. It's a pretty big quality difference.
Thank you. A camera is a camera just like a TV is a TV (and there's absolutely no difference between 4K over HDMI vs rabbit ears except for marketing).

Reactions: J0E

wtbman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you. A camera is a camera just like a TV is a TV (and there's absolutely no difference between 4K over HDMI vs rabbit ears except for marketing).
:whatsgoingon: Um, There is a huge difference between 480 pixel RCA connections and a 720 or 1080 pixel width camera and monitor. This is why I rejected all the available wireless RV rear camera options and instead went with a 2k 4mp security camera and tablet. MUCH better image quality AND a wider field of view.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
:whatsgoingon: Um, There is a huge difference between 480 pixel RCA connections and a 720 or 1080 pixel width camera and monitor. This is why I rejected all the available wireless RV rear camera options and instead went with a 2k 4mp security camera and tablet. MUCH better image quality AND a wider field of view.
Yes, there is. I thought I picked a ridiculous enough counter example for the sarcasm to be conveyed through text.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Yes, there is. I thought I picked a ridiculous enough counter example for the sarcasm to be conveyed through text.
New forum software must have the extra-strong sarcasm filter turned on, it didn’t come through. :)
Sponsored