Sponsored

Manual vs Automatic- What will you be ordering?

Which transmission will you be optioning for?

• Total voters

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do we know WHICH manual transmission will be used?
No, unfortunately the Dealer system didn't reveal anything more than an internal code ( " DEM - 6-Speed RWD Manual Transmission " ).

So, nothing new since we discussed possible options after the spy photos in June 2016, that showed a shorter shifter, and a reversed shift pattern.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-Wrangler-(JL)-Mule-Confirms-Six-Speed-Manual!

That reversed shift pattern matches one of the suspects in the Tremec 3160 , which just so happens to have the option to reverse the shift pattern matching the current shift pattern of the Wrangler's NSG.

http://tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.pdf

2018-jeep-wrangler-6-speed-manual-transmission-1-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Is there any reason to think it would feel significantly better than the current manual? I honestly can't understand how people can enjoy driving the current manual. I feel like I'm moving around a stick in the mud and letting my foot off a deflated soccer ball.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Is there any reason to think it would feel significantly better than the current manual?
Depends on your definition of 'better'. It should have better gear hold (kinda has to), it hopefully won't vibrate/oscillate as much when cruising at highway speed, likely to have shorter throws (some will like that some won't), hand position will be lower & more in line with the auto (again preference as to good/bad) me I like that because I like to rest my hand on the armrest but lightly touch the gear shift for any additional drivetrain feedback, lower means taking any pressure off the shifter and/or my arm.

Possible drawbacks are a trade-off either of gear ratios or torque handling capability (the NSG has a very high ratio 1st gear and a rather wide spread with an OK top OD gear). So far the specs on possible replacements don't have those features unless they give back on torque rating. Now FCA could justify a special configuration of even the Tremec 3160, as Jeep will likely sell more manual transmissions in the JL than the Mustang, Camaro and Cadillac that current use it, combined.

I honestly can't understand how people can enjoy driving the current manual. I feel like I'm moving around a stick in the mud and letting my foot off a deflated soccer ball.
You're not alone in that feeling that the NSG is old and tired, especially if you've driven a modern stick in another vehicle (especially performance vehicle), which is why many of us are hoping for a new & improved manual suited for the task in the JL.

CaliforniaWheelin'

First Name
Sullivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
Auto for me this time around. My JK was a manual, and as much as I loved that rig, I always wished I had gone with an auto. My wife didn't like wheeling with the manual, and personally, I think rock crawling would be more fun and less stressful with an auto. It's all preference, but I'll keep my sport cars manual and switch my Jeep to auto.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I should get the auto - it's better in every measurable way; faster, mpg, rock crawling and it's even water tight for water crossings.

That being said, I'm getting a stick. Not because it's better but because I enjoy it.

Maybe I'll swap in a ZF 7-speed manual :)

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I should get the auto - it's better in every measurable way; faster, mpg, rock crawling and it's even water tight for water crossings.

That being said, I'm getting a stick. Not because it's better but because I enjoy it.

Maybe I'll swap in a ZF 7-speed manual :)
There are so many more things to worry about than the transmission when you're talking about water crossings in a modern vehicle. I laugh so hard every time I see someone with a snorkel and obviously few other mods that think they're ready to forge hood-deep into the river. "I'll be here with my winch when you're ready."

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Mo" 2019 Mojito 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Every car that has been "mine" since I started driving nearly 60 years ago has been a stick. Thought I'd get lazy this time and buy an automatic.:)

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
There are so many more things to worry about than the transmission when you're talking about water crossings in a modern vehicle.
After 60 years, you've earned it! :)

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Almost every car and Jeep I owned over the decades has been a manual. I love interacting with the vehicle. But this time around, due to foot issues, I'm going with an automatic, and looking forward to it. As you can see by my profile, I have a 2014 JKUR, what you don't see is that it is a manual. I would not be considering a new Jeep so soon if not for my foot problem. But not here to complain. Excited about the 8 speed auto and new tech being offered. Loving the slow reveal and seeing everyone on this site so excited.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
pfft.. gears - as in more than one - on a mountain bike is so 90s. Join us:
407798f0579b87a3c3e60c0cbfa71ecb--push-bikes-the-ojays.jpg

Not mine. But I have almost the same ride. Wait, I don't have a front brake anymore. BMX style.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Single speeds meh. I used to direct a Cross Country race in the 90's. We called your category TSTS...

:facepalm:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What else do we know about the Tremec 3160? Is it known to be a strong unit? Any particular weaknesses? It looks like Camaros and the Shelby Mustangs have it, so it should handle the power of the 3.6 with no issue. Heck, it sounds like it could handle the diesel, too.

What is making us think it is possibly going to be in the JL? I will say this. I've been fine with the JK manual, and have enjoyed mine. However, if the JL has the same unit, I'll go with the auto, likely waiting for the diesel.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have to say vehicle weight limit and torque limit are the weaknesses.
Sponsored