XPEL over Rubicon Decals

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm trying to decide whether to get FENYLAB ceramic done on the entire Jeep or do XPEL now on the hood and grill with a regular wax and ceramic later. I'm leaning towards the XPEL as it's going to offer better protection and the wax will do for now. I also read from XPEL directly that the film should be applied prior to any ceramic coatings anyway.

I'm concerned the Rubicon decals will not look good under the film or will have bubbles. I will have it professional done locally and they are certified. I don't know if they've done a Rubicon yet and the difficulty is 5/5 stars.

Has anyone had the hood and grill done yet and have some pics? I'm looking into the clear film, not stealth.

Side note, would XPEL be okay to go onto the LED headlights?

Thanks !
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'm wondering what the end result would look like. Is it noticeable or seamless for the most part?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It is all about the installer. A good installer you can’t tell. A bad installer, well just don’t skimp on the installer. My recommendation to anyone doing PPF. Either go good installer or don’t do it at all.

OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I saw a finished X5 when I was at the shop and it was like a mirror finish. I wouldn't have known it was wrapped if they didn't tell me, however it's a less intricate hood. It must be hard for everyone as there's no real way in knowing the quality of the install until its completed.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Most are pre cut as these companies do the work to measure everything. If they do a few cars at the shop well, they will do fine on yours. Ask around. In SoCal they are a dime a dozen. Folks know the good, mediocre and horrible ones. I am sure your town folks would know the same.

Apoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (Ordered)
Standby, I'll try and upload some pictures this afternoon.

So here's an example of ghosting that occurred on mine, and this was with Xpel Ultimate Plus.

Decals.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Apoth Thanks for posting a picture! What did you mean by ghosting? I think this looks okay but it's hard to tell, it almost looks embossed now. Is that what you mean?

Apoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR (Ordered)
@Apoth Thanks for posting a picture! What did you mean by ghosting? I think this looks okay but it's hard to tell, it almost looks embossed now. Is that what you mean?
Yep, the embossed look.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yep, the embossed look.
Do you have any preference on it? or is it not that noticeable. :) My Rubi is black too so I figured it would stand out a bit. Could I bother you for a picture of the entire decal? Thanks again!

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
He is a pic with Xpel over the decal. This is the matte finish wrap.

5C40D656-85AA-4E95-8363-C2B41B163C47.jpeg

OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@sm16 Thanks for posting the picture. It's hard to tell its' wrapped here other than the matte look to it.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Mine scheduled for 2 weeks from now. 4 painted fenders , door sills , front of the hinges and the front grill to include all lights. Using Sun-Tek premium. And as others have said it's all in the installer. Much more to it than just printing out the stencil . Remember what ever they put it over that is what you will see. Paint has to be prepped and done well so no imperfections.

OP
OP
FUBAR

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Mine is scheduled for Thursday but I'm only doing the full hood and grill and possibly headlights. I may do a bit more depending on additional costs but I have monotone fenders so maybe just a-pillars. I'll update my post with the results and some pictures, maybe I'll try and get them to do some before/after shots.

I'm getting it done in XPEL Ultimate
Sponsored