First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

May be just a fad now, but back in the day, this looks like a typical setup for dune running here on the West Coast. Not a lot of tire choices back then, and rims were often stock steel that were widened by cutting in half and welding in a tubular section.

With low pressure, made for a great sand setup, but horrible for anything else...
Would that be good for sand, with no sidewalls to allow for ballooning of the tires at low pressure?! I'm looking for new tires specifically for beach driving, but I won't go that far!!! :CWL:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ok Ok, but this monstrosity has gotten me thinking... what if he were to take that idea and role with it 110%... make a hot rod. a full proper hot rod, engine swap and everything, forget about off roading with it. I am saying a hot rod in a jeep body... Yes it would be a completely useless vehicle.. but could it look awesome as a show vehicle?
nah

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
When I bought my first jeep, a 1973 CJ-5, some people were lowering their jeep. I actually saw one with the springs reversed and the body of the jeep was maybe 2 inches off the ground. Even then all I could do was shake my head.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
As a former Miata refugee I've actually thought about doing the Skyjacker "Lowjacker" 2-inch lowering kit for better handling and easier step-in and out. I'll never go rock crawling and I'll still have tons of clearance for the rough dirt and gravel forestry roads I drive on. I would never set the wheels out like that though, that just looks stupid and is a hazard if the car next to you isn't keeping good lane discipline .

Sponsored

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Most of us want higher lifts and bigger wheels, then there's this guy....

20190606_073245.jpg
Okay. Okay. Okay, so this is what happened to your 38s. Okay, so. So, I parked to get some milk and then it was already like this when I came out. The end.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Would that be good for sand, with no sidewalls to allow for ballooning of the tires at low pressure?! I'm looking for new tires specifically for beach driving, but I won't go that far!!! :CWL:
Not only that, driving on sand (at least the beach) requires serious ground clearance - that thing wouldn't make it on the beach if the tires were aired down to 14 psi!

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm sure that gentleman runs 44" tires typically but he lives in a shady neighborhood so those are his "in the garage" tires. I wonder if he can hold 1G in a turn??

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Most of us want higher lifts and bigger wheels, then there's this guy....

20190606_073245.jpg
Probably has some massive supercharged V8 in it making about 1100 horsepower or something.... or doesn't have a garage so he parks it under the back porch....

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I think bumpernutz should be on this list as well. Thankfully the fad has died down, but I have seen them on a JL :(
Nope.... alive and well in my area... saw a pair on a tacoma this morning on my way to work.... blue ones at that...

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I bet it got some punch to it.
One way to improve acceleration and torque multiplication by gear is to downsize wheels/tires.

Should be more fuel efficient if he only runs at 55 on side streets.
Sponsored

Last edited: