First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I bought an air compressor that is powered by gator clamps to the battery. Works great and really fast

But opening the hood and clamping to the battery is not something I’m gonna want to do to air up

I was thinking cutting the clamps off and adding a 12v plug to use with the cigarette lighter plug we have in the rear cargo area

OR as I saw my cables for my amp I thought I could run a similar setup and plug n play when needed then hide cables when done

will these 2 ideas work? My fear is losing power/strength from battery all the way to rear
Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the plug at the rear will handle the amerage of the compressor, especially for startup.

" But opening the hood and clamping to the battery is not something I’m gonna want to do to air up " .... what's the reasoning behind this, plan on airing up 4 or 5 times a day?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I bought an air compressor that is powered by gator clamps to the battery. Works great and really fast

But opening the hood and clamping to the battery is not something I’m gonna want to do to air up

I was thinking cutting the clamps off and adding a 12v plug to use with the cigarette lighter plug we have in the rear cargo area

OR as I saw my cables for my amp I thought I could run a similar setup and plug n play when needed then hide cables when done

will these 2 ideas work? My fear is losing power/strength from battery all the way to rear
A 12v cigarette lighter will get fried. That's why it has alligator clips. But if you have the Tow Package, you already have a 30A 12v plug. The 7 pin trailer plug. You can put a 7 pin connector on the compressor (using only the ground and 30A pin). Just make sure your compressor doesn't exceed 30A.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Make an SAE connector and attach it to the battery and then run the connector out by the front bumper so you can plug into it without lifting the hood.

from the battery SAE connector

Then cut off your clamps and replace with the correct SAE connector.

SAE connectors

This is an easy wiring job.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Make an SAE connector and attach it to the battery and then run the connector out by the front bumper so you can plug into it without lifting the hood.

from the battery SAE connector

Then cut off your clamps and replace with the correct SAE connector.

SAE connectors

This is an easy wiring job.
I would also suggest grabbing another SAE connector so you can use clamps when you want to use the compressor elsewhere other than your jeep. @wibornz great idea BTW, I'll be doing this and just have the SAE in engine compartment. Cheers

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would also suggest grabbing another SAE connector so you can use clamps when you want to use the compressor elsewhere other than your jeep. @wibornz great idea BTW, I'll be doing this and just have the SAE in engine compartment. Cheers
You should run the connector out to the bumper or some place where you can access it without having to open the hood. I carry a set of clamps with an SAE connector with me. I have them so incase my battery dies in the Jeep, I can hook up the solar panels from my Jackery to the Jeep and charge the battery.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You should run the connector out to the bumper or some place where you can access it without having to open the hood. I carry a set of clamps with an SAE connector with me. I have them so incase my battery dies in the Jeep, I can hook up the solar panels from my Jackery to the Jeep and charge the battery.
Ya, my intent would be to make it long enough to do that but for the majority of the time I would like it away from the elements of the Great White North. Cheers!

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
Make sure that BOTH SAE connectors are 10AWG to carry the 30 amps.
Sponsored