Window Tint %

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
So are the rear passenger windows as well as the hardtop side AND rear windows all at 30% tint from factory?
The shop measured my tint at 20% on the rear windows. Did not measure the rear windshield but assume that matches at 20%. I put 30% on the front windows which will settle around 25-23%. Windshield at 50%. Winters here in Minnesota and working 8-5 you won't see the sun for weeks at a time, so this is the minimum I go to still be able to see perfectly fine in dark conditions. I'll grab a pic of it today.
Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The shop measured my tint at 20% on the rear windows. Did not measure the rear windshield but assume that matches at 20%. I put 30% on the front windows which will settle around 25-23%. Windshield at 50%. Winters here in Minnesota and working 8-5 you won't see the sun for weeks at a time, so this is the minimum I go to still be able to see perfectly fine in dark conditions. I'll grab a pic of it today.
So no glare from indoor lights or electronics at night?

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
None for me. However, I have noticed I'll catch reflections of headlights in my driver window when passing cars on the right but this was prior to tint. I still see the reflection after tint but it's much less.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Is the windshield tinted too? I like how it looks, but is it hard to see at night?
That’s gotta be 10% or less, guessing 5%. That’s an automatic ticket everyday here in Minnesota..consider yourself lucky! Can you ask her if the tint went over factory or if the factory tit is now in between the window layers.
She thinks possibly 15% she says they discussed all different numbers. Yes the front is tinted as well. It's not bad at all at night.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
For sure not 10% though. The picture angle makes it look darker I think.

Sponsored

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
+1 for going 20% all around, and 50% on the windshield

Also, if you are concerned with legality, speak with your optometrist and have them write you a prescription for your window tint. I've never had to pull it out of my glove box and show it, but it's a nice thing to have.

Nick C.
interesting. although wouldn't you have to have some type of medical need in order to get that prescription? find it hard to believe you can just roll into your local optometrist and say you want to tint your windshield, so give me a prescription doc.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I went 20% on my Raptor and HATED driving it at night. I had to roll down my window before confidently turning, sometimes, depending on how well lit the area was. No fun, and not safe. It’s illegal for a reason.

In my Yukon I went 30%. If you study the truck, yeah, you can see that the back windows are darker than the front. Who cares? I still get the benefit of tint and can actually see at night.

Good luck if you’re in an accident and the adjuster sees a tinted windshield, even if it’s oy 50%.

My $0.02
Sponsored