Sponsored

Window Auto up modification

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Dont give up on it yet! Just be careful with the wires!

BTW, still have the old switches? I have been investigating a way to create a harness so you dont have to cut & splice...
Sponsored

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Dont give up on it yet! Just be careful with the wires!

BTW, still have the old switches? I have been investigating a way to create a harness so you dont have to cut & splice...
Feel free to PM me your address and I'll send them your way.

MI_JLUR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Want to thank Fonzie and TimMyBung for the great write-ups. Gave me the confidence to attempt this myself... I plan to add some more pics of my install that I marked up with some notes for those like me who get a bit intimated by the electrical mods.

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to thank Fonzie and TimMyBung for the great write-ups. Gave me the confidence to attempt this myself... I plan to add some more pics of my install that I marked up with some notes for those like me who get a bit intimated by the electrical mods.
So here's the question: did you do the basic install like I did or did you add the extra connection that Fonzie suggested (that got me into trouble)?

MI_JLUR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So here's the question: did you do the basic install like I did or did you add the extra connection that Fonzie suggested (that got me into trouble)?
Basic install, but this weekend I’m going for the extra connection. I’ll let you know if I release the magic smoke as well. :)
I’d love to find out what circuit gets triggered when I hit the door lock button on my remote so I could use the auto up feature when locking my Jeep.

Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Bought the 535 and watching this thread for the updated wiring. Thanks for the detailed post

DT_18JL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
First off I'd like to thank user Fonzie for the inspiration; it was his original post that made me undertake this project. I'll try not to rehash things he covered on his thread since it got me most of the way into the project.

Once the dash was open all I did for the stock window wiring was confirm the two wires he'd identified as driver and passenger UP.
IMG_20190127_200729284.jpg

Once I had those identified I started sorting out the wiring on the 535T module. At first look the kit appears super intimidating given the sheer number of wires but several aren't used and several are common grounds that I twined together to a single ground which makes it way easier.
IMG_20190127_200805802.jpg

IMG_20190127_200749658.jpg

Above are the wiring diagrams from the manual. A couple notes: you won't use the "ground when armed from system" orange wire, and the red/white "(-) aux from system" wire is only connected to ground during programming; after that I taped up the lead and zip tied it out of the way.
There IS a programming step but it's super simple; more on that later.
A note about the dip switches on the module: all remain off (up position); no need to move any of them.
Regarding mounting location I also put it behind the glovebox; I basically zip tied it to a one of the silver AC tubes; there's a picture way below.
Regarding power and ground, both I got by tapping into the 12v port in the dash; it was easy and right there. Black was ground and 12v was the pink/yellow line. Obviously verify this for yourself.
IMG_20190127_143003698.jpg

You'll note I have what looks like a single ground; like I mentioned previously I spliced and the grounds into a single bunch and then connected them to a single black wire which I ran to ground.
IMG_20190127_140850604.jpg

Here are all the grounds twined together.
All connections I also wrapped in electrical tape and zip tied everything all over the place to help with strain relief.
When it came to actually splicing into the window switch wires it was anticlimactic. I cut each one and added bullet connectors, such that if I wanted to return it to stock the original wire now has a male and a female so they could go together. Then I connected the wires from the module per the instructions (like the previous poster I only wired the UP wires since it had factory Auto down. )
IMG_20190127_134134608.jpg

IMG_20190127_142956443.jpg
This picture shows pretty much the whole thing wired but before I put the module behind the glovebox. There's room for the wires to easily run behind the dash between the glovebox and the window controls. I left all wires their full length so I could easily work with the module on my lap but you could easily trim them if you want less wire hanging out back there.
Note: the yellow wire going into the dash is a wire with alligator clips on both ends I used to connect that red/white wire to ground for programming.
IMG_20190127_132152368.jpg

Here you can see the wires not used on the 8 and 5 pin connectors.

IMG_20190127_143949633.jpg

Here's where the module lives now.

That's pretty much it, hopefully I covered enough to help the next guy. All in all it took me maybe two hours, and I took my time to keep wiring and connections relatively neat and tidy.
When it came to the programming step it was pretty straightforward. Connect that red/white wire to ground and turn on the Jeep. Hold the switch to put the drivers window up, then don't touch anything (this wasn't 100% clear from the instructions). It'll cycle both windows up and down at least once, and it took longer than you'd expect between when you let go of the switch and it does its thing. The first time I messed it up because I assumed it was finished and hit the button, exiting programming mode.

Good luck, and let me know if there are any questions.
How long did the programming/learning process take??

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long did the programming/learning process take??
It took maybe 3 to 5 minutes; it felt way longer than I thought it should be.

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Your post was outstanding. I installed the module today.
Glad it went well. It's kind of a small thing - I had a hard time getting my wife to understand why I wanted to pull my dash apart and muck with factory wiring to have my windows to go auto-up not just down - but once I'd done it I literally smile every time I need to put a window up. I think it's a huge improvement (and shocking that it wasn't there in the first place given the sticker price on my Rubicon JLU!)

Sponsored

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Just to let you know the 535T does have a limiter built in. It is a current limit so if it senses the current go past a certain level it stops. Used to install these a lot in my youth. They work awesome and never had an issue with any of the untits.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I cannot give an accurate release date yet, but best guess is late this year. We are first working on another Wrangler JL specific product we actually expect to release first. but it is super secret at the moment. ;)

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Timmybung, did you ever install the extra wire to make the “up” stop by pushing the down after you fried the switch. Going to install this weekend and I would like to have that feature.

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Timmybung, did you ever install the extra wire to make the “up” stop by pushing the down after you fried the switch. Going to install this weekend and I would like to have that feature.
Negative, I never went back to add it. I'm able to stop it going auto-up by pressing Down (but clicking it in to the Auto-Down detent).
Sponsored