Sponsored

Will Jeep ever make a Hellcat Wrangler?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
While I like where your head’s at, and I love the idea of “even MOAR POWAH,” I think you vastly underestimate the costs of vehicle development and emissions/crash test certification from the government. It’s not a simple matter of putting parts together however you want and then selling the jeep. Also, with all that power, the whole jeep is going to need to be strengthened to handle it... from steering components to suspension to the frame to the transmission, etc.

It’s fun to dream though!
My mistake. I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t suggesting more power, engine modifications, or anything else that might effect emissions or require emissions-related research or testing. I’m talking about swapping gearing and installing stronger axels, larger/better brakes, lift, larger tires, and shocks FCA already endorses and aggressively markets.

For FCA to specify a “beast build“ with 488 gears instead of the Rubicon’s 410s, for example, would be cost neutral at the manufacturing level. The lift and shocks would be very close to cost neutral too, as the parts would be replacing others of similar manufacturing cost, not adding to them. I suspect the same is true of swapping in more durable chromoly axels. A set of 37” tires would cost more, but FCA would be buying them by the freight-car load at wholesale pricing, so I’d be surprised if bumping up a couple tire sizes would add more than a few hundred bucks to the cost of the build.

I suspect there might be some CAFE liability due to reduced fuel economy, but not much, because the impact on the averages would be small unless they sold a bunch and, if they sold enough to make a significant difference, they’d be making enough money to make it worthwhile! :LOL:

This is low hanging fruit for the manufacturer. If they had to crash a few beasts to confirm that stronger axels, better brakes, and larger tires don’t adversely effect crash results, it would be worth it. :like:
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The first few years small flat trailer. Now I pull with F-250 and enclosed trailer. I got these for the JL, but have not cut them down to try yet. They will need to be almost a slick for the 3.6 to turn. 33x17's about 14" wide. On sand you are always spinning or floating. My uncle back in the late 60's early 70's used drag slicks. Said they worked great. They don't make a 17" rim size thats tall enough tire. Gearing may help if it's a slick, no paddle. Paddles "bite" the sand hard and you need power to spin them. Low range is too low and just dig into the sand.

33x17 paddle.jpg
That looks like serious fun! So you need about 500 hp to run paddles effectively with the weight of the wrangler? Are you running the dunes at Florence?

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
If you are running paddles, yes 500 is the start for full weight jeep. The 17's are worn out for the sand car guys, that were I get them used. I will cut the paddles down to almost nothing, see if the 3.6 can move them.

Florence, Reedsport Winchester Bay, Coos Bay. I'm all over up and down the coast. It's been a few years on the sand for me. I have been running Tillamook Browns camp trails in the JLUR last few trips to Oregon. Play where this Jeep 3.6 is made for dirt and rocks.
With 392 coming out, that's a great start. Hellcat with Mojave suspension would be a awesome dune runner!! Slap paddles on it and be done for fun in the sand.

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
From Jeep's perspective, why not make a Hellcat Wrangler. It's easy money, base sticker $99,000.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think it would more match the trackhawk @ $89,410 base. people buy that.

Sponsored

socaljeep

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Corvette ZR1, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2006 Yamaha 50th Anniversary R1
Here is one at a cars and coffee

20201121_090240.jpg

20201121_090225.jpg

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Jeep / FCA seems to be putting the 392 and the hellcat motor in everything that it will fit. Do we think the supercharged 6.2 will make it to the wrangler?
yes I believe they will. FCA throws that engine in everything. If they decide not to in the wrangler they definitely will in the gladiator.

911turboz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 Rub, 13 JLU, 97 TJ, 76 CJ7, 74 CJ5, 06 LJ,+
Occupation
VP Land Rover Denver
Likely but will be less off-road and more directed toward the street if they do... braking and handling will have to be substantially improved for that much HP.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likely but will be less off-road and more directed toward the street if they do... braking and handling will have to be substantially improved for that much HP.
Why is that? If something has 20hp then you make it 1000hp, do they not go down the road at 55mph. Speed limits are that limits. You want to make a vehicle idiot proof?

911turboz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VP Land Rover Denver
Why is that? If something has 20hp then you make it 1000hp, do they not go down the road at 55mph. Speed limits are that limits. You want to make a vehicle idiot proof?
I certainly don't want to or have any say so in what they would need to do, but in the past with the other 18 brands I've dealt with - that much horsepower requires significant improvements in handling and braking which our beloved Jeeps are not really known for. Hope they build it but highly doubt it will be trail focused.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
If Jeep decides to put the Hellcat in the Wrangler it would need stronger axles than even the 392, perhaps Dana 60s. Not impossible of course, but I wonder given the small incremental sales above the 392, if that would make it worth their while?

If they made it I would buy it. I would sell my 392 (which is on order) and buy the Hellcat Wrangler. No question.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I certainly don't want to or have any say so in what they would need to do, but in the past with the other 18 brands I've dealt with - that much horsepower requires significant improvements in handling and braking which our beloved Jeeps are not really known for. Hope they build it but highly doubt it will be trail focused.
I see you have had older Jeeps. Ones without electronic helpers to keep you safe. How in the world did you drive those without dying.

I just keep seeing people saying that 700hp jeep is a death trap. It's all driver responsibility. I have 450-475 hp on tap in a TJ ( no ABS or other e-helpers ) It was my wifes daily driver for 2 years. You just learn how to drive it with respect. With all new stuff, the vehicles are already doing most of the handling as it is. If you drive like a fool, yes you will crash sooner in a hellcat wrangler. The same fool will crash a yugo too...

911turboz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
VP Land Rover Denver
I see you have had older Jeeps. Ones without electronic helpers to keep you safe. How in the world did you drive those without dying.

I just keep seeing people saying that 700hp jeep is a death trap. It's all driver responsibility. I have 450-475 hp on tap in a TJ ( no ABS or other e-helpers ) It was my wifes daily driver for 2 years. You just learn how to drive it with respect. With all new stuff, the vehicles are already doing most of the handling as it is. If you drive like a fool, yes you will crash sooner in a hellcat wrangler. The same fool will crash a yugo too...
Agreed. We have NO safety whatsoever in our '74 CJ5 or our '76 CJ7 and almost none in our TJ... the manufacturers will self regulate safety warranty exposure as much as possible for production

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
Maybe a Wrangler HellHound since we know dogs love Jeeps. I havent heard of a cat-loving Jeep.
Sponsored