Sponsored

Why air lockers?

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
is there a performance gain with air lockers?
you would have to add an air system, leaks would be a problem, I’ve even seen rubicon’s with air lockers. Seems to defeat some of the benefit of a rubicon.

electric seems the way to go if I do lockers. just gathering info as Im planning out the build for my jl that I purchased earlier this year.
thanks for any input.
I never had a leak with an air locker, even when the compressor died I was just able to fill up my tank and it was good for months. Honestly the gauge wouldn’t move with the locker engaged all day. Even when the locker broke it stayed spooled.

I would never run an air locker again though, for the effort I’d rather run a cable actuated ox locker. For the price and the reliability cable actuated makes more sense for me. For a nicer vehicle I think electric or air make a lot of sense because it can be activated by a switch but I’m about to cut through my floorboard to fit a transmission.
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
My ARB broke because I was I wasn’t completely stopped when I engaged it. They also pulled their BS claiming I should have been at a complete stop and that they state there is a risk engaging it when not stopped. I then wanted to replace the plunger that broke and then they told me they sold the last one a few days prior and wouldn’t be making parts for the model I bought anymore. They offered me a new air locker for half off so 900$.

That must have been many years ago, they haven't made those 3 pc units with the internal plastic piston for a long time.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
I run ARB’s from and rear in my Scrambler. The lockers have been trouble free but I have had issues with the small ARB compressor I run them on. My scrambler is a dedicated trail vehicle and a detroit locker in the rear would probably have been a better choice for my use.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I run ARB’s from and rear in my Scrambler. The lockers have been trouble free but I have had issues with the small ARB compressor I run them on. My scrambler is a dedicated trail vehicle and a detroit locker in the rear would probably have been a better choice for my use.

I went from a Detroit to an ARB in my TJ and greatly preferred being able to toggle my locker off, especially while side hilling.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
My 2002 TJ has had an ARB in the rear Dana 44 since 2003. Trouble free. No problems in freezing weather. I also have a Detroit locker with warn hubs in the front. 4 inch lift running 35's. Will be for sale after my next Moab trip in May. I am ordering a 22.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why air lockers? moab.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: