First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
Apologies if this is a repeat of something else somewhere, but I tried the search and saw nothing that answers my question. I purchased my 2-door a year ago and, while I was ready for the dual top option, I was told it was not available on the 2-door models (for the simple reason that FCA had no way of stuffing the soft top into the vehicle for shipping). Fast forward a year to now, and I am wondering which of the two most common soft-tops on the market have the easies access to the rear cargo area while the top is up. I've had quite a number of jeeps over the years, all with both tops (hard and soft) and all of the soft tops had the ability to pull the zippers up and flip the window up on the roof, giving clear access to the cargo area. All these were factory soft-tops. My son bought a 2017 JK and the dealer sold him the less expensive Bestop (fastback look) soft top. For one, this thing is a b#tch to close up when it's cold, and for two, you pretty much have to take the rear window right off in order to have access. All fine when you are going topless, but let's say it's raining and you want to put something in the back, then close it up quickly?

Yeah, I get that Bestop rigs are cheaper, and they don't look half bad, and in another story some day i can explain how I got some of the best customer service from them a person could expect... but I am going to purchase a soft top and I want one that will let me open up the back and close it handily.

comments? recommendations? experiences?
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I have a 2d JL, too and finally gave up looking for a reasonably priced soft top that wasn't fastback. Looking at other threads, it looks like Besttop makes the Mopar one, but not one under their brand. I just ordered the Mopar one. Dealer felt sorry for me and gave me $200 off. I went for the twill version.

gweber

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
I have a two door JL and just ordered a twill soft top from Quadratrak. I am in FL and would rather have easy top off

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
The oem twill too is a great deal and a great top.. I run it full time and have fir 18 months.. you can check the member forum here and pick one up cheap brand new

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the dual top on my 4 door JL and had the bestop NX glide on my 2 door JK. Both tops are zipperless. I like the way the fast back one looks, but the Factory soft top on the JL is easier to put down with the track system. The Bestop version has the same track system because bestop does make the factory top.

To answer your question. The fast back (Bestop) top and the factory top work the same with the zipperless system.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have the OEM sailcloth top on my Sport...the rear window tabs release easily from the mounting channel in the warmer months, but I wouldn't try opening it now. Groceries will fit under the bar that locks the lower part of the window in place, but if I'm picking up something larger for a home project, I'll take my wife's JLU (hardtop installed for winter).

OP
OP
JohnT

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
thanks for the feedback - it looks like I'm going to be stuck with a rear access that takes a bit of work no matter which way I go. I suppose if the folks from Jeep or Bestop are viewing these posts, this could be good feedback for them. Seems like, up until the JL, the factory top had relatively simple rear cargo area access without too much effort, but somehow they forgot about that along the way. In southern Ontario the weather is not to be trusted... got to be ready to flip the top up on any excursion :)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the feedback - it looks like I'm going to be stuck with a rear access that takes a bit of work no matter which way I go. I suppose if the folks from Jeep or Bestop are viewing these posts, this could be good feedback for them. Seems like, up until the JL, the factory top had relatively simple rear cargo area access without too much effort, but somehow they forgot about that along the way. In southern Ontario the weather is not to be trusted... got to be ready to flip the top up on any excursion :)
Really though the oem besttop twill one you just pop out the bottom and flip it on to the roof.. it’s not bad..

On the bronco best top built in a feature where it leans back to open more space

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
To be fair, the thickness of the windows is nice for being able to see out of them. The zipperless sides and bottom means you dont get zipper jams.

When I had my TJ and YJ with the thinner windows, the plastic would deform after being rolled up for a while. I didnt care much and preferred the zippers on the back, because I could roll it up. Others complained and here we are.

I cant think of a perfect solution for the rear window in the soft top. everything is a compromise. The thicker windows and no zipper makes it a lot quieter on the highway.

Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Apologies if this is a repeat of something else somewhere, but I tried the search and saw nothing that answers my question. I purchased my 2-door a year ago and, while I was ready for the dual top option, I was told it was not available on the 2-door models (for the simple reason that FCA had no way of stuffing the soft top into the vehicle for shipping). Fast forward a year to now, and I am wondering which of the two most common soft-tops on the market have the easies access to the rear cargo area while the top is up. I've had quite a number of jeeps over the years, all with both tops (hard and soft) and all of the soft tops had the ability to pull the zippers up and flip the window up on the roof, giving clear access to the cargo area. All these were factory soft-tops. My son bought a 2017 JK and the dealer sold him the less expensive Bestop (fastback look) soft top. For one, this thing is a b#tch to close up when it's cold, and for two, you pretty much have to take the rear window right off in order to have access. All fine when you are going topless, but let's say it's raining and you want to put something in the back, then close it up quickly?

Yeah, I get that Bestop rigs are cheaper, and they don't look half bad, and in another story some day i can explain how I got some of the best customer service from them a person could expect... but I am going to purchase a soft top and I want one that will let me open up the back and close it handily.

comments? recommendations? experiences?
Get the EZ window by the makers of the EZ Trunk

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have the factory soft top...it's not hard to flip up, the channels pop in and out pretty easily. It's far superior to the older tops and works year round for me.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I have the twill soft top. It can be a pain doing a quick load for anything taller than the tailgate. Sometimes its a pita to get the side rails on the back window back into place. Seems more difficult when its cold. I had to quickly run out and put my windows on at 11 at night when it started raining. I was fighting trying to get the sides to latch on. Got nice and soaked while doing so. I have no idea if it can be made any easier.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have the twill soft top. It can be a pain doing a quick load for anything taller than the tailgate. Sometimes its a pita to get the side rails on the back window back into place. Seems more difficult when its cold. I had to quickly run out and put my windows on at 11 at night when it started raining. I was fighting trying to get the sides to latch on. Got nice and soaked while doing so. I have no idea if it can be made any easier.
I think mine is also the twill...I do one side and then the other, do the bottom parts last. I can do it in under a minute.
Sponsored