Which grill was/is the best?

• Total voters

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I think JL ties them all together perfectly.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
For a little thread necromancy, Iā€™ll throw my carefully considered ranking in the ring.

GF > TJ > CJ > JL > YJ > JK.

Naturally, the GF wins. It cooks me food. If my jeepā€™s grille is ever hot enough to cook me food, we have issues.

Thereā€™s just something about the proportions of the TJā€™s grille that make it perfect in its simplicity yet complex in its awesomeness. The CJ comes next, because heritage. The JL is next. It does an excellent job of paying homage to both the CJ and YJ. The YJ is second to last for me. As much as I loved my YJ it just couldnā€™t match up to the other 3. Thereā€™s nothing particularly offensive about it though, and I never had issues with square headlights.

Last: the JK. That grille is an abomination of automotive design and an affront to every jeep before and after it. Why does it have the Jeep emblem? We know itā€™s a jeep. It would be like if Ford put the blue oval on the Mustangā€™s grille. The Jeep emblem leads to the next issue: proportions. The grille openings donā€™t go high enough up because of the jeep logo and if you take the logo off youā€™re left with the large empty useless space. Notice on every other Jeep the openings go more or less all the way to the top of the grille. Last, like the rest of the JK, itā€™s an unbroken flat surface without any character lines to break up the monotony of its huge ugly flatness. This is something the JL fixed all over the place, not just the grille.

So, uh... yeah. Thatā€™s my opinion on the grilles. Pretty sure itā€™s obvious that I just wanted to rant about the JK so... sorry bout that.

Edit: you know what? I take back my top three (after GF of course). The TJ, CJ and JL are all tied for first. TJ because itā€™s perfect, CJ because heritage, JL because it ties in design elements of all prior jeeps that matter: the placement of the signals on the fenders (TJ), the curve for the slot near the headlamp (CJ) and the rake (YJ).

The YJ is second, JK still last of course.

Last edited:

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
For a little thread necromancy, Iā€™ll throw my carefully considered ranking in the ring.

Naturally, the GF wins. It cooks me food. If my jeepā€™s grille is ever hot enough to cook me food, we have issues.

Thereā€™s just something about the proportions of the TJā€™s grille that make it perfect in its simplicity yet complex in its awesomeness. The CJ comes next, because heritage. The JL is next. It does an excellent job of paying homage to both the CJ and YJ. The YJ is second to last for me. As much as I loved my YJ it just couldnā€™t match up to the other 3. Thereā€™s nothing particularly offensive about it though, and I never had issues with square headlights.

Last: the JK. That grille is an abomination of automotive design and an affront to every jeep before and after it. Why does it have the Jeep emblem? We know itā€™s a jeep. It would be like if Ford put the blue oval on the Mustangā€™s grille. The Jeep emblem leads to the next issue: proportions. The grille openings donā€™t go high enough up because of the jeep logo and if you take the logo off youā€™re left with the large empty useless space. Notice on every other Jeep the openings go more or less all the way to the top of the grille. Last, like the rest of the JK, itā€™s an unbroken flat surface without any character lines to break up the monotony of its huge ugly flatness. This is something the JL fixed all over the place, not just the grille.

So, uh... yeah. Thatā€™s my opinion on the grilles. Pretty sure itā€™s obvious that I just wanted to rant about the JK so... sorry bout that.

Edit: you know what? I take back my top three (after GF of course). The TJ, CJ and JL are all tied for first. TJ because itā€™s perfect, CJ because heritage, JL because it ties in design elements of all prior jeeps that matter: the placement of the signals on the fenders (TJ), the curve for the slot near the headlamp (CJ) and the rake (YJ).

This is exactly what I would have wrote. Bravo.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile

I would agree totally except I would put the JL ahead of the CJ. The JK will not age well and is already old and boring looking. I really like the TJ front end but the JL takes everything that was right before it and amplifies.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Last: the JK. That grille is an abomination of automotive design and an affront to every jeep before and after it.
I have long espoused the theory that Daimler bled Chrysler dry which led to the boring-ass JK front-end which led to the angry grille tragedy.

So Daimler: thank you so very much.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Also, not to pick on the OP too much, but the MB had different grilles depending on who manufactured that particular Jeep. Also the CJ 2 and 3 had a different Grille than the CJ 5-8 models.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I think the JL is the successor of the TJ grill and fender lights. It does combine all the features of the prior grills though. I really like the original MB/2A grill a lot for the flat simplicity (and 9 slots of the MB).
BTW, I am a little partial to the pointed grill of my Willys wagon....

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-150.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-151.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-152.jpg

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Not related to the grills, but looking at those old Jeeps makes me content to keep things stock. They're not trying to be monster trucks, so they don't need lifts and massive tires. There's a certain charm that is lost when you do that.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Not related to the grills, but looking at those old Jeeps makes me content to keep things stock. They're not trying to be monster trucks, so they don't need lifts and massive tires. There's a certain charm that is lost when you do that.
I keep thinking about finding skinnies for my next tire purchase. Thereā€™s no school like the old school.

Hristo34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ, 08 Corvette Z06, 19 Subaru Outback
Classic CJ for me. I actually think the JL grill is pretty nice looking, but those hideous fender lights ruin it. When I get one, they will be the first thing to go.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Always been a Jeep purist, so I love to see anything from MB thru CJ. Will miss the happy face of my CJ-5 when she finally sells šŸ˜­ :

Jeep Wrangler JL Which grill was/is the best? Front 4.JPG

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i love CJs since i was a little kid but looking at them now i think they look like they have bug eyes. i would have to say TJ or JL. i will never be able to fully accept the YJs lights so that goes last for me.
Sponsored