First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve had my 3.6 over 13,000. No issues and unlike others, I couldn’t tell the difference. That said, the trail that high is unlike the 95% payment the jl sees.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with how my JLU runs up the hills. I'm sure the 2.0 is better but the 3.6 is sufficient. On the other hand I was not happy with the same engine in any of my JK/JKU's manual or automatic. So that speaks to how well the 8spd does.

Last edited:

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
The 3.0 diesel does extremely well in the Colorado mountains. With stock tires and gearing, I was averaging 30 mpg and plenty of power, over the course of one tank. This was on shorter wheeling trips with highway driving to get out to the mountains and back.

CNSD

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would stay away from the 2.0 turbo. Check the other threads. There are multiple complaints, mostly on high altitude passes of the battery charge light coming on and eventual shut down and stranding.. This has happened to me several times, and many others. The dealers are clueless and Jeep Cares, etc have no fix. Jeep has refused to recognize this issue. Love Jeeps but I am very disappointed in my JLUR considering what I bought it for.
I’ve had multiple problems with my 2021 2.0 JLUR as well. Only 11,500 miles on it! Why did I spend so much money for this Jeep? Head scratcher!

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
@CNSD Sorry to hear you've had trouble with your 2.0L!

My 2.0L e-Torque really shines in the mountains, and I'm always pleasantly surprised at how cool it runs, especially getting up and over the Rocky Mountain passes.

-Steven

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the 3.6 and with 35" tires and a normal load it does fine at any altitude, even above treeline (roughly 12,000'). But I would have bought a turbo if I could have found one with the other options I wanted. Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is that normally aspirated engine loses about 3% of its HP for every 1,000 feet of altitude. A turbo loses far less, something under 1% from the charts I have seen. So if you want to tow or carry heavy stuff, or put on 40" wheels, definitely go with forced induction.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I have the 3.6 and with 35" tires and a normal load it does fine at any altitude, even above treeline (roughly 12,000'). But I would have bought a turbo if I could have found one with the other options I wanted. Generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is that normally aspirated engine loses about 3% of its HP for every 1,000 feet of altitude. A turbo loses far less, something under 1% from the charts I have seen. So if you want to tow or carry heavy stuff, or put on 40" wheels, definitely go with forced induction.
Thanks Paul for breaking it down force us! Having owned both the 3.6 and now the 2.0L, my personal experience backs up what you state.

-Steven

Bigdagdaman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I used my 2.0L Wrangler (2020) to go skiing through this last winter in CO and I have no issues to report. I never gave the engine a second thought until I read this thread. I did rent a 3.6 for a week and quite frankly, after a day it never dawned on me the engine was different.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
It’ll be interesting to see if the new 3.6 etorque acts up at higher elevations like the 2.0 etorque has.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The only complaint I have about the 2.0 is the noise. The 3.6 has a better sound to it. But even then, it fades into the background and I never notice it.

So far, the highest elevation I’ve been on is Loveland pass which is just under 12000 ft. My property in Fairplay is 11500ft. So far I haven’t noticed any real dropoff in power.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I’ve had my non Etorque 2.0 up to 13.6k with no power drop. Love it in the mountains.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Where did you find 13,600? I am intrigued!
You may know better than the rest of us, but Mount Evans and Pikes Peak are some of the highest paved roads, and Mount Antero and Mount Bross are even higher unpaved roads. I'm sorry I couldn't find any exact numbers on the trails with just a quick search but I believe all of the are above 14k at the peaks.
Sponsored