Sponsored

Where to thread breakaway cable through firewall?

Dgjason

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door
Call me old (76) or dumb, but when I opened the hood of my JL Sport I just shook my head wondering where I would go to get my breakaway cable through the firewall to my RVi 3.... HELP !!!
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I havnt gotten around to it yet, but based on when I did the same thing on my Honda CRV its going to require some upside down time with your butt on the driver’s seat and your head down by the brake pedal. I’d look for a pass thru in the firewall like a grommet or something like that. If no one here responds, you might try looking on IRV2.com. I’m sure lots of people have done it already.

I have an RVI 3 system. I like it.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Dgjason

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran mine on the drivers side - I did protect with a wire loom and then ran in what I think is the grommet for the "clutch" - but you'll see if you look a bit up from the petals there's a hole there.

This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SG5P7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works well to protect wires under the hood and it expands to fit connectors through if needed.
Thanks David. I went old school and bought mine with a manual transmission. Love it but will check that area tomorrow.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On the JK they had holes under the windshield on each side you could access by pulling the dash side panels off. They were filled with foam to let wires thru but keep most wind out. I just got my JL yesterday so I haven't looked on the JL yet but the designers know how much Wrangler gets customized like simplifying wiring with Aux switches pre-world inside and in the engine bay with fuses/relays already hooked up. I'd think they would still have provided something like that on the JL.
But as much stuff in the engine bay anymore, especially with the 2.0 L, you could push wires thru and never be able to find them.

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks David. I went old school and bought mine with a manual transmission. Love it but will check that area tomorrow.
I did cooltech wiring for the lights - not sure the route your taking but that's another set of wires to deal with.

Take your time and before you know you'll be on your way.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Dennis, I too used the grommet David @JLUSoCal described to get wires through the firewall but I have an automatic transmission JLU.

There's always, although less than idea here, the grommet under and to the right of the glove box. It's used in this video and at the linked point in the video for performing the 7 pin trailer wire harness install.

Wire grease may be necessary and a cut off hanger as a snake.

You should not have to remove the fender to do this.

OP
OP

Dgjason

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dennis, I too used the grommet David @JLUSoCal described to get wires through the firewall but I have an automatic transmission JLU.

There's always, although less than idea here, the grommet under and to the right of the glove box. It's used in this video and at the linked point in the video for performing the 7 pin trailer wire harness install.

Wire grease may be necessary and a cut off hanger as a snake.

You should not have to remove the fender to do this.

There's always, although less than idea here, the grommet under and to the right of the glove box. It's used in this video and at the linked point in the video for performing

OP
OP

Dgjason

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG
After spending some time under my Jeep I saw an area behind driver side fender guard. Pulled back guard, drilled pilot hole, checked inside and it came out in a perfect area. Enlarged hole, ran cable, put grommets on each side, plugged in my RVi 3 and all works.
Sponsored