Sponsored

Wheels Sticking While Turning Sharply; Cold?

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Hi all,

I live in New England and it was 11°F this morning while driving in to work; I house the Wrangler in the garage and never got any snow on it from this past weekend's light storm. I never lifted the car, it's still stock lift and OEM wheels. I've never noticed the tires rubbing on fender or anything. This was never a problem before today. It may have touched 11°F once or twice before today.

Today, every time I turn somewhat sharply (think turning into a parking lot or into a space), the wheels seem to "stick" or something. I have to give extra gas to move the vehicle forward or backward and there is clear friction that takes extra power to move through. Before today, turning like this has never caused this type of issue (granted, I just bought the car CPO in November).

Probably unrelated, but we noticed a very slow leak near the exhaust on Saturday. I haven't seen it since.

I would also assume that despite having warranty coverage for buying CPO from the dealership, if there is an issue that needs to be fixed, it probably won't be covered because of the vast restrictions they place on that warranty. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Are you in 4H and not 2H? It sounds like you're describing wheel hop (or crow hop), but you'll need to confirm that first. That's the binding that happens when your wheels are trying to turn and the same rate but can't.

Like this? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hard-turn-in-4h-causes-“wobble”.23969/
This was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Along the lines of the “leak” that OP seen near the exhaust, it’s most likely just condensation in the exhaust, especially when it’s cold, every vehicle I’ve ever seen has done the same thing.

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Welp, that’s embarrassing. You’re all correct lol

thanks for the comment on the exhaust condensation too. That would explain a lot.

cheers!

Sponsored

OP
OP
davidafuller

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)