Hard turn in 4H causes “wobble”?!?

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So...I have a two-week old Rubicon Unlimited, with all the creature comforts possible. I had a strange thing happen twice today and I was able to reproduce it. When my Jeep was in 4H and I turned all the way to the left or right, it was as if something was getting stuck in the gears and the Jeep sorta “wobbled”. No, not the death wobble—I was only going 2-4Mph doing a u-turn—but definitely not a normal feel. I then switched it to 2H and it continued until I turned the Jeep straight, after which attempting to do the same u-turn was normal. Only when 4H did I experience this. (I did not attempt 4L.)

Anyone else expereince this or is this “normal” when cranking it hard in 4H?
Sponsored

GhostActual762

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Recon
What your feeling are the axle shaft ujoints binding. What your JL has is a live front solid axle, it is highly frowned upon to use 4HI or 4 Low on dry sticky surfaces (pavement/concrete/asphalt) or you will damage the the front axle(shafts/ujoints/differential carrier).

During inclement weather(snow/mud/ice) it is ok to use 4HI/4LOW.

If you need 4x4(HI or LOW) on these sticky surfaces keep it in a straight line only otherwise don’t use it, again it’s not healthy for the axle and your steering components take a beating also.

4HI/4LOW can be used on dirt roads where there is loose gravel but keep your turning to a minimum.

These problems are compounded when using 4HI/4LOW AND having your lockers engaged on sticky surfaces. This is a giant “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?! STOP THAT!!!!!” Unless ofcourse you enjoy throwing money at things(if you do i am currently for hire)

Vehicles with IFS front axles don’t exibit this behavior or does very little as they don’t have ujoints. If this is your first vehicle with a solid axle up front i would suggest you take about 10min to brush up on the owners manual under the 4x4 section.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

It's called crabbing or crow hopping, and you shouldn't drive on dry pavement in 4H.
Let's just say someone didn't realize this and drove the JL in 4H for a few days - has that hurt anything?

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Let's just say someone didn't realize this and drove the JL in 4H for a few days - has that hurt anything?
If the off-road folks on this forum are honest, they'll admit to participating in the same occupation as you. Well, at least that's what a friend told me ...

I suspect that running a rocky trail in 4H/4L is much harder on the driveline than a straight run down the highway in 4H. The ease of shifting into and out of 4H while traveling in a straight line would seem to confirm that thought process. Turning is what introduces stress in the driveline when in 4 wheel drive ... taking corners sharp and fast more than gradual and slow.

If there aren't big chunks of metal under your Jeep, then forgive your dunce cap experience and move on. Develop a few new mental processes to keep the dunce cap in storage. Check that you're in 2H when you start the Jeep in the morning and every time you transition from dirt to pavement. Be sensitive to any "new" noise from the front end or crow hopping when you turn on pavement.

Last edited:

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A few days?? How does that even happen?

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Except for Sahara's with 4Auto(also referred to as AWD), wranglers have what Jeep calls the part time 4WD system. When engaged the front and rear axles turn at the same speed. To turn, you need different speed between the two axles, so if you do a tight turn in 4HI, and tires cannot slip(high traction surface), drive train binding and potential damage can happen. For the same reasons, situation is much worse if you also lock the diffs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks guys for helping out this n00b! I’ve had “all wheel drive” or “4-wheel auto” vehicles before...but this is my first Jeep. I figured it was not “normal” and its good to hear others have made similar n00b’ish mistakes. I quickly stopped what I was doing when it happened and doubt any permanent damage was done. (Glad I got my answer here than at the dealer! Hopefully my mistake will help other first-time Jeep owners...

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Thanks guys for helping out this n00b! I’ve had “all wheel drive” or “4-wheel auto” vehicles before...but this is my first Jeep. I figured it was not “normal” and its good to hear others have made similar n00b’ish mistakes. I quickly stopped what I was doing when it happened and doubt any permanent damage was done. (Glad I got my answer here than at the dealer! Hopefully my mistake will help other first-time Jeep owners...
Not just Jeeps, any vehicle with a part time 4WD system. Part time systems are way stronger and way better for off road. Only thing is - dont use on dry pavement. But then...why would you ever need 4WD on dry pavement?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Even on a trail I try to make gentle turns, and take it out of 4WD if sharp turns are needed to turn around.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
As long as your tires have the ability to slip, even on loose gravel, you're fine in 4wd, but on dry tarmac, best to leave it in 2wd.

abubakar

First Name
Abubakar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Hi Everyone,
This really helped me out. This is my first car and I was wondering what's the best thing to do in snow?

Im here in Canada and we get quite a bit of snow. I was turning sharply with 4H in snow but still felt the steering resist. Should I avoid sharp turns with 4H even in the snow?
Sponsored