Advertisement

Static when turning and shifting while using CarPlay

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Lately I've noticed that if I plug in my iPhone and play music through CarPlay, when I go to pull off from the curb there's a momentary static noise as I turn the wheel. Sometimes the same static comes through as I shift from park to reverse. The noise only lasts a split second and I don't notice anything while I'm actually driving. Not 100% sure but it seems like it's at least mostly when using CarPlay. I don't use Sirius or any other source all too often but on days when it is on Sirius before I pull away, I don't recall noticing the static. I have the 8.4 uconnect/Nav/Alpine system. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Advertisement

JeepCares

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Lately I've noticed that if I plug in my iPhone and play music through CarPlay, when I go to pull off from the curb there's a momentary static noise as I turn the wheel. Sometimes the same static comes through as I shift from park to reverse. The noise only lasts a split second and I don't notice anything while I'm actually driving. Not 100% sure but it seems like it's at least mostly when using CarPlay. I don't use Sirius or any other source all too often but on days when it is on Sirius before I pull away, I don't recall noticing the static. I have the 8.4 uconnect/Nav/Alpine system. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Hey, abutterman1. Did you happen to visit the dealer recently for this static concern? If not, we do recommend setting an appointment for diagnosis. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kate
JeepCares

OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Yea pretty sure it’s only when using CarPlay. Maybe a strange electrical issue with the USB ports? I have an appointment for an oil change and inspection soon so I’ll see if they have time to check it out. Kinda getting sick of dropping it off and not having a car for a week. They’re always 2 months out for a loaner appointment.

Asylum

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Yea pretty sure it’s only when using CarPlay. Maybe a strange electrical issue with the USB ports? I have an appointment for an oil change and inspection soon so I’ll see if they have time to check it out. Kinda getting sick of dropping it off and not having a car for a week. They’re always 2 months out for a loaner appointment.
Have you tried a different USB cable by chance? Like different brand.

OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Have you tried a different USB cable by chance? Like different brand.
Yea I’ve been trying a different cable the last few days. Both original Apple cables. Same thing. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Almost sounds like a ground wire is making a bad connection and is affecting anything electronic up front

Asylum

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Yea I’ve been trying a different cable the last few days. Both original Apple cables. Same thing. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Almost sounds like a ground wire is making a bad connection and is affecting anything electronic up front
If you have a lightning cable that is not apple try that. Check the grounds in the pass kick panel, one of those should be the radio. After that its more than likely the panel. At this point you may want to try to record your issue and take it to the dealer.

Advertisement

Advertisement