Static when turning and shifting while using CarPlay

1. abutterman1

abutterman1 Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Lately I've noticed that if I plug in my iPhone and play music through CarPlay, when I go to pull off from the curb there's a momentary static noise as I turn the wheel. Sometimes the same static comes through as I shift from park to reverse. The noise only lasts a split second and I don't notice anything while I'm actually driving. Not 100% sure but it seems like it's at least mostly when using CarPlay. I don't use Sirius or any other source all too often but on days when it is on Sirius before I pull away, I don't recall noticing the static. I have the 8.4 uconnect/Nav/Alpine system. Anyone else experience anything like this?

2. Asylum

Asylum Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLU Altitude
    Liked:
    Try it on FM or AM and see if it persists.

3. JeepCares

JeepCares Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    Hey, abutterman1. Did you happen to visit the dealer recently for this static concern? If not, we do recommend setting an appointment for diagnosis. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kate
    JeepCares

Focker likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    abutterman1

abutterman1 Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Yea pretty sure it’s only when using CarPlay. Maybe a strange electrical issue with the USB ports? I have an appointment for an oil change and inspection soon so I’ll see if they have time to check it out. Kinda getting sick of dropping it off and not having a car for a week. They’re always 2 months out for a loaner appointment.

5. Asylum

Asylum Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLU Altitude
    Liked:
    Have you tried a different USB cable by chance? Like different brand.

6. OP
    OP
    abutterman1

abutterman1 Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Yea I’ve been trying a different cable the last few days. Both original Apple cables. Same thing. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Almost sounds like a ground wire is making a bad connection and is affecting anything electronic up front

7. Asylum

Asylum Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLU Altitude
    Liked:
    If you have a lightning cable that is not apple try that. Check the grounds in the pass kick panel, one of those should be the radio. After that its more than likely the panel. At this point you may want to try to record your issue and take it to the dealer.