What will my setup be able to handle?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Bought my JLU sport ecodiesel 3 months ago, and I’ve been modding it ever since. I’m sure some of y’all have seen my rig build thread. My question is: with a non rubicon model like mine, can I handle any/most rock crawling situations? I want to be able to take it once a year or maybe even less. Maybe to go Moab just to say I’ve been there. There are also some trails in AR in Hot Springs I’m thinking of going to next year sometime as a vacation. Easy to moderate to difficult trails. I didn’t feel I needed to spend the extra cash to upgrade to a rubicon, as I am a cheap ass. I did most mods myself to save labor, and im ok with that. Just didn’t know how Invaluable the locking front and rear diffs and elec swaybar disconnect would be.

I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but here’s how my setup will end up: JLU Sport 3.0 with. 4.5” Evo lift with 37” Maxxis tires. I do have an aftermarket bumper with a warn Winch and recovery kit. Any help/advice? Tbsnks

BTW, Merry Christmas everybody!!
Sponsored

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 18’ JLUR with the Mopar lift on 37x13.5s. IMO, Lockers are nice when you have them. Makes it that much easier. That being said, I’ve been to SW Colorado and Moab and never needed mine. I don’t go to hard and pick my lines. The only time I guess I’ve really needed mine was in Hot Springs on the Rubicon ridge trail. It was rutted out and had to lock all four in to make it up a slick hill. The stock rubicon behind me couldn’t make it up even with lockers, so I had to winch him up.

The sway bar gets disconnected every time I’m off-road. It makes the ride so much smoother. It would be easy enough for you to add manual sway bar link disconnects for that though.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’ll be able to handle more than your skill set. Challenge yourself up until to point you believe you’re at the limit of your abilities. I doubt your Jeep will let you down

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Sahara here. Max I’ll want to try is moderate but for slick stuff, I did add a rear electric locking differential. Being a muscle car/sports car guy, getting rid of the open diff made sense. Leaving the weaker open diff up front an open diff makes sense for durability to me. As mentioned, I’d wager the Jeep will handle whatever your skill level is willing to tackle at the moment. If you need to mod to go further, just wait until you reach that crossroad to decide.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Thanks guys. I figured I was good. Just wanted confirmation.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Not my rig in the picture but this is 3 feathers in Tucson on the Chiva Falls trail. One of our group's members did this run in Sport with 34"s and 2.5" lift and while she had to be careful on her line, she made it up, no issues and no damage. With my stock Rubi, we were roughly as capable though our lines were not always the same. Story was similar on other trails.

Long story, you will be definitely be capable of crawling around the rocks with what you're planning!

maxresdefault.jpg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
You’ll have great clearance and a lot of capability. That said you’ll want to take it easy on the rocks because of limited axle strength. Also, lockers have served me well over the years...something necessary in difficult climbs imho.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure y'all have seen the legendary white Crown Vic wheeling Moab. This should help give some perspective.

PS - I hope Ford is leveraging Crown Vic's proven underpinnings on the upcoming Bronco... :LOL:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure y'all have seen the legendary white Crown Vic wheeling Moab. This should help give some perspective.

PS - I hope Ford is leveraging Crown Vic's proven underpinnings on the upcoming Bronco... :LOL:
Watching this video, as awesome as it is, makes me hear banjos in my head...

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Yep I saw him out there on Hells Revenge. It was our first trail we did there and I remember thinking it can’t be too bad if this guy has a crown Vic out here. I don’t know if he could do the entire trail with it but he was at least a 1/4 of the way through it. :facepalm:

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I saw him out there on Hells Revenge. It was our first trail we did there and I remember thinking it can’t be too bad if this guy has a crown Vic out here. I don’t know if he could do the entire trail with it but he was at least a 1/4 of the way through it. :facepalm:
It would have been fun just to watch him that day. In my youth, I had a 2WD Datsun pickup that climbed all kinds of obstacles out of my pure ignorance.
Sponsored