Sponsored

What Traction Boards/Mats are Everyone Using?

GregorioJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have the Tred's. They are expensive though, and not indestructible. Haven't had to use them myself, but I've loaned them a few times because it's easier and safer than pulling someone out. A lot of the videos are sand scenarios, but a full size D-handle shovel and a mini shovel usually works for sand. Out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to winch onto is probably a better use case for treds.
Sponsored

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I hadn't seen anything about single use. If that's the case, definitely not worth $129, when I can get reusable XBull boards for just under $100. Thanks for the info.
I think Like any other tool, the worth of recovery/traction pad comes down to how they are used and what u intend to use them for. For me the gotreads fit our needs and I have used them at least 3 times to assist other drivers when they got stuck on the beach with no blemishes. Are they for every situation absolutely but they are great for what we use them for.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, agree 100% about specific use case. Since I'll be doing mild to moderate off-roading in desert and scrub with a stock 2-door JL, it seems like the gotreads might be the best option, especially given their portability. If I had a hard top with roof rack, I might lean more towards one of the many non-folding options, but it appears that gotreads are the best folding traction mats out there. Really appreciate everyone's input.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
If I'm buying something that is likely to be single use, then I don't want to spend more than necessary. Thus, I got these:
ORCISH New Recovery Traction Boards with Jack Lift Base- 2 Pcs Traction Mat for Sand Mud Snow Track Tire Ladder 4X4 - Recovery Traction Tracks. (Update 4Gen-Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JGH444T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YAWV047GGMHP9J6WW63D?psc=1

They feel very sturdy and heavy, have an aggressive tread and a jack base for $66.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I can see that, and perhaps traction boards work better in those environments than what I have seen. But for the winch, you could always just use your buddy's rig as an anchor, right?:devil:
If you have a buddy's rig, you probably don't need a winch either?

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I’ve used x bulls in ice and snow and find them very useful. Often times much faster and simpler than using a winch. Had one event where we used two sets (one for each wheel) to get momentum at the base of an icy hill. We’ve used them to bridge rocks (doubled up) in negative temps and no issues with them breaking. Good value; simply another tool in the tool box

I may pick up a set of those folding ones to try out. I like how small they are

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
If you have a buddy's rig, you probably don't need a winch either?
Depends on the length of the recovery strap and what kind of traction/momentum your buddy can get while being close enough to snatch you. Sometimes it's just easier to stack some rocks in front of an anchor vehicle and run 80 feet of winch line than use a 20 ft recovery strap.

It really comes down to there is a time and a place for everything. Having the right tool for the job is important. It has been my experience that the right tool is more often a winch than recovery boards. With what they charge for those recovery boards I feel you can better use that money toward a winch. Of course if you can buy both, that's a perfectly good idea. But for those of us on a budget, I'd put recovery boards pretty far down the list.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Depends on the length of the recovery strap and what kind of traction/momentum your buddy can get while being close enough to snatch you. Sometimes it's just easier to stack some rocks in front of an anchor vehicle and run 80 feet of winch line than use a 20 ft recovery strap.

It really comes down to there is a time and a place for everything. Having the right tool for the job is important. It has been my experience that the right tool is more often a winch than recovery boards. With what they charge for those recovery boards I feel you can better use that money toward a winch. Of course if you can buy both, that's a perfectly good idea. But for those of us on a budget, I'd put recovery boards pretty far down the list.
We wheel alone pretty often, I bring recovery boards (Amazon knock offs ~$60 but have held up for years), hi lift, winch, shovel, 20' snatch strap, and 30' kinetic recovery rope, plus an air compressor and tools. I'm all about the right tool for the job.
Sponsored