Sponsored

What resolution would you want?

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW
I bought my JL Rubicon back in February from a dealer 4 hours away.

When doing the deal over the phone, I said I want an upgrade to LED lighting. He came back and told me that an LED lighting upgrade for the headlights and foglights would be a $1500 (CAD) job, but they'd split that with me. I accepted.

Now, mostly due to the excitement of owning a JL, and plenty of other stuff going on in work and life, I never asked any more details, I initially thought I was getting Mopar LED upgrades.

When he sent me a picture a few days before I was going to collect, it was obvious these weren't Mopar lights and were some generic 7" lights that had been fitted. I decided I didn't mind too much, and would suck it up and accept what I had.

Fast forward a few weeks and it was obvious the alignment was way off, no biggy, I'd sort it at some point. Now recently, having driven at night a few times, the lights aren't exactly brilliant, and to top it off, they started rattling and moving about.

Decided to pull off the grille, and refit the halogens they gave me in the back when I drove the vehicle away and just ditch the LEDs.

Turns out, they've chopped the original connectors off, butchered the wiring and wired in some H4 plugs and plugged them into no-brand LED lights which I can find for about $150. I can't understand this, bearing in mind you can get an adaptor for like 40 bucks. Some of the mounting screws have come loose and got lost too.

What resolution would you want? I will be pushing for the $717 back that they added to the cost, but I'm unsure what to do with the wiring. I'm loathed to drive 4 hours back to them and have them attempt to repair it seeing their wiring abilities, then again, I've asked them how such a wiring bodge affects my warranty... no reply yet.

Does anyone know if this section of the loom is replaceable? I could probably source a pigtail with the right connector, and splice this back into the wiring loom, but I'm really not happy with this on a 1 year old 50k vehicle.

Lesson learnt and all that.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like there is a wiring loom for the halogen headlamp that lists for $24 (US). You should give your VIN to a dealer parts department and ask them for the exact ones for your vehicle.

As to any remedy I'd say unless you have specifics about what was to be provided in writing there is nothing you can do about it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I bought my JL Rubicon back in February
February 2019 or February 2020? You mention later on in your post that the vehicle is 1 year old, so I'm going to assume 2019. If so, you've been driving the vehicle for over a year. Why wait so long for any type of resolution? Not sure there's anything you can do at this point.

When doing the deal over the phone, I said I want an upgrade to LED lighting. He came back and told me that an LED lighting upgrade for the headlights and foglights would be a $1500 (CAD) job, but they'd split that with me. I accepted.
Did you specify OEM Mopar/Jeep LED lighting? Do you have anything in writing specifying what you'd be getting? If not, you're sh*t out of luck.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I bought my JL Rubicon back in February from a dealer 4 hours away.

Now, mostly due to the excitement of owning a JL, and plenty of other stuff going on in work and life, I never asked any more details, I initially thought I was getting Mopar LED upgrades.

When he sent me a picture a few days before I was going to collect, it was obvious these weren't Mopar lights and were some generic 7" lights that had been fitted. I decided I didn't mind too much, and would suck it up and accept what I had.

Fast forward a few weeks and it was obvious the alignment was way off, no biggy, I'd sort it at some point. Now recently, having driven at night a few times, the lights aren't exactly brilliant, and to top it off, they started rattling and moving about.

Decided to pull off the grille, and refit the halogens they gave me in the back when I drove the vehicle away and just ditch the LEDs.

Turns out, they've chopped the original connectors off, butchered the wiring and wired in some H4 plugs and plugged them into no-brand LED lights which I can find for about $150. I can't understand this, bearing in mind you can get an adaptor for like 40 bucks. Some of the mounting screws have come loose and got lost too.

What resolution would you want? I will be pushing for the $717 back that they added to the cost, but I'm unsure what to do with the wiring. I'm loathed to drive 4 hours back to them and have them attempt to repair it seeing their wiring abilities, then again, I've asked them how such a wiring bodge affects my warranty... no reply yet.

Does anyone know if this section of the loom is replaceable? I could probably source a pigtail with the right connector, and splice this back into the wiring loom, but I'm really not happy with this on a 1 year old 50k vehicle.

Lesson learnt and all that.
This is the key point:

You did nothing when you had the chance so you're stuck with it.
Sponsored