Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Reading @Snowshoes dilemma over finding the replacement glass for his hard top's passenger's window it dawned on me...

"What parts should I stock from MOPAR in anticipation of the need to fix a problem before a dealer can?"

Clearly we can't stock everything. Not even a dealer can; let alone the tools to apply that inventory.

And of that we stock, much needs to remain home in the garage: that is if we have one.

But I find myself keeping an inventory of some basic things...e.g. I have a stubby antenna just waiting for some thug to turn my factory one into his play toy.

I've been thinking of stocking an ESS battery, were it not for a work around for it going dead that I learned on the forum.

What extra parts would you stock, or want to stock?

;)Yes, I did try. But my better half was opposed to a backup identical rig. Funny, "...but the Commander-in-Chief has one!" didn't earn me much traction with her.

I think, when she said, "you don't need an identical backup!!!" that what she really meant was for me to go out and buy a Gladiator. Do you think my logic sound? I do.;)

BTW: "I'm buying a backup V8 engine, 'in case';) the stock one goes," is in this thread a perfectly acceptable answer.;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Sounds like your problem is that you need to replace your better half! ;) J/K

While I can see you wanting to stock some commonly used parts that we have seen replaced on many, I question why? For time savings I would agree. Why wait for a day or 2 for them to replace the battery when you can do it. However are you going to carry the parts with you where ever you would go? Chances are no. My way of thinking is I am not going to buy any spare parts that are covered under warranty for as long as that warranty is in place. What I will do is spend money on services or tools that will help me get the Jeep back to a dealer for repair. I might revisit this after the warranty is over or if FCA can not get these parts stocked over 2019.

But as for a list of parts of what I have seen being common failures so far are: Steering box, steering dampener, and ESS battery. Most of the rest seem it is fixed with a SW update.

Just some food for thought.....all batteries are not created equal. So why not replace the ESS batter early with a better one?

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
with all my other jeeps, i stock u-joints, tie rod ends and brake parts, mostly, since they're pretty much all interchangeable throughout my jeep herd.

but with this new JL, i'm not sure what the weak points are yet. i may swap out to RCV shafts, once my stock u-joint shafts break, so i might just get them and keep them on the shelf.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
.....all batteries are not created equal. So why not replace the ESS batter early with a better one?
I like your point on the battery. My reply might be that with Jerry's @Jebiruph great workaround for dead ESS batteries https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-parts-would-you-stock.20762/#post-501255 , which I do keep on board (the wire of the post, not the battery), it might make more sense for me to keep the better battery you describe at home, or even in rig, but not replace the factory ESS one until necessary, or as you adeptly remarked, post warranty.

Here's something I'm missing; and it's probably me/ignorance. Is there really no place under the hood, even closer to the ground somewhat, where brackets could not be installed to simply accommodate a larger (and better) ESS battery, the factory one thereafter removed/bypassed to have its wire leads instead snaked to this new larger battery?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Actually there's plenty of room if you delete the STOCK AIR CLEANER and tubing--

Then install a CAI(short), of course it would be worthless as a CAI, but would allow for additional battery install--

Nothing simple about it, but-----

W.E.

JIMBO

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED