Sponsored

What is this welded hole!?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It is there to deflect your attention away from your Death Wobble issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I saw your other thread about the horrible welds. How's the progress coming with getting your Jeep replaced? Will you get another Wrangler?
My jeep was inspected by both the district manager and the regional manager. They claim to see no difference between my welds and the welds on another jeep from the lot (which I also looked at and the welds on the other jeep were done perfectly and as expected). The only person admitting to seeing a difference is the service manager. FCA Mike MacDonald is claiming the service manager saw no difference, but I have in writing that the service manager did see a difference. I have compiled everything I have from pictures, to emails, service records, NHTSA complaints and inspection, and so on.

Jeep has decided to not replace my wrangler and they are not going to do any repairs. Ohio has some of the best lemon laws in the country and I now qualify for it since the ignored a major safety concern after one visit. Lemon law in Ohio does not allow any deductions and FCA will be required to pay all court and legal fees above and beyond my settlement. On top of that, Ohio at times charges for damages and penalties against the manufacturer for not handling a lemon outside of court. Penalty payments to the consumer can be up to treble (triple) the amount paid for the vehicle.

I have reached out to an attorney to assess my case and see if it is worth pursuing. I should hear back from them by weeks end. I will post another update once they respond. I attached a pdf of the comparison welds as well as a lot more of my bad welds. I also attached all of the NHTSA complaints, star publication, and NHTSA investigation docs.

Attachments

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
Here are two crap welds I found on my car. Are they any worse than yours? Have they compromised the structural integrity of my frame? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't fully understand what the issue is, I'm not a metallurgist.

MVIMG_20190715_174604.jpg

MVIMG_20190715_174729.jpg

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My jeep was inspected by both the district manager and the regional manager. They claim to see no difference between my welds and the welds on another jeep from the lot (which I also looked at and the welds on the other jeep were done perfectly and as expected). The only person admitting to seeing a difference is the service manager. FCA Mike MacDonald is claiming the service manager saw no difference, but I have in writing that the service manager did see a difference. I have compiled everything I have from pictures, to emails, service records, NHTSA complaints and inspection, and so on.

Jeep has decided to not replace my wrangler and they are not going to do any repairs. Ohio has some of the best lemon laws in the country and I now qualify for it since the ignored a major safety concern after one visit. Lemon law in Ohio does not allow any deductions and FCA will be required to pay all court and legal fees above and beyond my settlement. On top of that, Ohio at times charges for damages and penalties against the manufacturer for not handling a lemon outside of court. Penalty payments to the consumer can be up to treble (triple) the amount paid for the vehicle.

I have reached out to an attorney to assess my case and see if it is worth pursuing. I should hear back from them by weeks end. I will post another update once they respond. I attached a pdf of the comparison welds as well as a lot more of my bad welds. I also attached all of the NHTSA complaints, star publication, and NHTSA investigation docs.

Yes, some of the welds, on the outside look ratty. But, you would need to x-ray the welds, to see if the welds were "Bad". Speak with some pipe welders, on the subject, and go from there. Also, lawyers will be more than happy to take your money, bad welds or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Yes, some of the welds, on the outside look ratty. But, you would need to x-ray the welds, to see if the welds were "Bad". Speak with some pipe welders, on the subject, and go from there. Also, lawyers will be more than happy to take your money, bad welds or not.
In the state of Ohio, the lawyers take no money AT ALL from consumers for lemon cases. They're only paid if they win, and FCA will have to pay them. That is law in Ohio.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
So the fact that Jeep welds have always been terrible somehow means the guy should buy a Hyundai instead of complaint? It’d be one thing if he was comparing about symptoms of the solid axle and removable top like some, but FCA could improve their welds and only make things better.
Never heard of frame weld failing on Jeeps since 1942, except a few bad track bar mount welds on JL . can"t say the same about tacoma frame rust .

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
And did you contact them within 18k miles? Did they attempt to repair your vehicle? I live in Ohio, and I'm not sure what lawyer you are referring to unless it's The Tiger:giggle:

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...s/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws
I only have 7000 miles. My jeep has been in twice for the welds issue and they are refusing to repair it or replace it.

https://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/new-car-lemon-law/

Ohio only requires 1 visit for an issue that could cause a major safety problems.

Sponsored

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
This forum seems to love polls for whatever reason, perhaps this is a good one to start here.

Regarding his weld complaint, do you think the OP:

1. Will get a brand new Jeep for ugly welds
2. Is looking for problems that don't exist and is creating a colossal waste of time and resources
3. Jeep will repair welds
4. Is the catalyst for a massive recall from Jeep for displeasing welds and becomes a Jeep Hero

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
It kind of echoes the posts about not willing to buy proximity entry yet demanding that Jeep rebuilds the Jeep and adds it. Uhmmm, haven't seen any update in..........7 or 8 months. They surely rebuilt the Jeep and all is good now. That poster guy just forgot to let us know that.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I only have 7000 miles. My jeep has been in twice for the welds issue and they are refusing to repair it or replace it.

https://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/new-car-lemon-law/

Ohio only requires 1 visit for an issue that could cause a major safety problems.
But, is it a "major safety problem"? If FCA looked at it and gave it the OK, then make sure you have all your paperwork. I'd drive it and be happy and IF something ever happened, then you would have grounds for a law suit against them. I'd personally go with the paper trail and FCA engineers over an ambulance chasing lawyer. But hey, good luck:like:

jmcf1949

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Anyone happen to know what purpose this welded hole in the frame serves? I'm in the process of replacing my jeep for poor welds, and on my jeep the weld around this whole has a massive hole in it. Please help!

20190714_114439.jpg
That is one of four Steering Gear holes. Which should be mounted on the inner frame rail.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
What is this welded hole!?
I had to pay extra for this. They are still not standard on most robots.
Sponsored