IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
4FE09DEC-E30B-4D75-AD1D-A45344EE35AF.jpeg
Just installed a steel bumper and removed the sides and there is a seemingly random hole on the passenger side end. I assume it’s related to the fog lights in some way but it’s not obvious why it’s on the passenger side but not the driver. Anybody know?

Also, where I removed the side pieces there are gouges/scratches on the exterior. I’ve read a thread on here about touch-up paint but besides using truck bed liner there wasn’t a consensus on what works on the bumper. Anyone have an update?

Oh, one more thing. I seem to recall seeing someone create a cover for the back side of the ends to clean up the look of the bumper but I can’t find it. If anyone has done that or knows of the thread, please post it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's for a dune flag
Seriously? LOL. I used to have one for my ATV but I’m not sure I still have it. Would be funny to ride around town with that on ... but not for long.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@IronScott

The hole is for the mounting of a flag stanchion.

You will find that "Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating" works great for touching up that bumper. It's also good for Rubi rails and Ace Slider's and more...

There was a past forum post in regard to covering up the ends..

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@IronScott

You will find that "Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating" works great for touching up that bumper. It's also good for Rubi rails and Ace Slider's and more...

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG
I read that thread but the comments led me to believe the truck bed coating was best used for covering the entire bumper, not just touching up. If that’s not the case, I’m certainly willing to try it.

Regarding covering up the ends - as I mentioned, I have looked but haven’t found it yet, which is why and how I asked.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Any AUTO STORE has PKG'S of the interior/exterior plastic screws/caps and it will have a size that caps that hole (BLACK)=

The open area behind the FOG LIGHT HARNESS/WIRING can be covered with any sheet plastic/metal-

Just trace an outline in cardboard and transfer to the sheet/w clearance holes for the TWO ATTACH BOLTS !

Good luck
SUNP0095_zpsl2z1nxgk.jpg

JIMBO

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@IronScott

I would do a test / touchup spot on a part of the bumper you cannot see, just to be sure.

I myself, have not used it to completely paint or touch-up the steel bumpers (have used on Ace and Rubi's)... but a few here have, and said in both incidences it worked well. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so do test..

Let us know what you think.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
4FE09DEC-E30B-4D75-AD1D-A45344EE35AF.jpeg
Just installed a steel bumper and removed the sides and there is a seemingly random hole on the passenger side end. I assume it’s related to the fog lights in some way but it’s not obvious why it’s on the passenger side but not the driver. Anybody know?

Also, where I removed the side pieces there are gouges/scratches on the exterior. I’ve read a thread on here about touch-up paint but besides using truck bed liner there wasn’t a consensus on what works on the bumper. Anyone have an update?

Oh, one more thing. I seem to recall seeing someone create a cover for the back side of the ends to clean up the look of the bumper but I can’t find it. If anyone has done that or knows of the thread, please post it.
I have a CB antenna mounted there with a quick release. I only use the CB off-road anyway. It works well. With a 4 foot fire stick mounted there it has a slight forward pitch.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have a CB antenna mounted there with a quick release. I only use the CB off-road anyway. It works well. With a 4 foot fire stick mounted there it has a slight forward pitch.
That's a great spot for a CB antenna. Probably get a better signal than behind a hardtop. Do you keep it wired and use a quick release?

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
That's a great spot for a CB antenna. Probably get a better signal than behind a hardtop. Do you keep it wired and use a quick release?
Yes it has a quick release on the antenna and it is wired as in I’ll plug it into the The front 12 V receptacle. I use one of the midlands, you can convert it into a walkie-talkie if you want to. I forget the exact model number. I’ve had it for several years and it works well.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@IronScott

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG

This stuff is awesome for cleaning up my steel bumpers. Had a huge scratch on the right side, used a little sanding pad on some Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, and the bumper looks as good as new now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This stuff is awesome for cleaning up my steel bumpers. Had a huge scratch on the right side, used a little sanding pad on some Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, and the bumper looks as good as new now.
@LincolnSixAlpha

Yes, that is what I have been saying often. Just be sure to do multiple light coats versus trying to put one heavy coat on. Heavy coats net drips.

Also.. if you get a drip, take a clean cloth, dab/wipe the drip away and they re-spay. The stuff is very forgiving lets say and you can do this and not notice the fix.

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@LincolnSixAlpha

Yes, that is what I have been saying often. Just be sure to do multiple light coats versus trying to put one heavy coat on. Heavy coats net drips.

Also.. if you get a drip, take a clean cloth, dab/wipe the drip away and they re-spay. The stuff is very forgiving lets say and you can do this and not notice the fix.

Z1KA-ufo5oy.JPG
I just did two light coats, with a 10-15 minute dry in-between and it came out perfectly. To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find the damaged/sprayed over the area without me pointing it out. Appreciate the suggestion!

Rubicon4Life

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - White
Any AUTO STORE has PKG'S of the interior/exterior plastic screws/caps and it will have a size that caps that hole (BLACK)=

The open area behind the FOG LIGHT HARNESS/WIRING can be covered with any sheet plastic/metal-

Just trace an outline in cardboard and transfer to the sheet/w clearance holes for the TWO ATTACH BOLTS !

Good luck
SUNP0095_zpsl2z1nxgk.jpg

JIMBO
Jimbo, where did you get the plastic to cover the rear of the fogs? I’d like to do something similar. Thanks
Sponsored