What is this welded hole!?

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Anyone happen to know what purpose this welded hole in the frame serves? I'm in the process of replacing my jeep for poor welds, and on my jeep the weld around this whole has a massive hole in it. Please help!

20190714_114439.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Here is mine for reference.

20190611_143251.jpg

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
check out 20 year old jeeps. their welds are as bad or worse. you should move on to a unibody Hyundai .
Your reply is unnecessary and does not answer my question. My frame welds are much worse than pictured in this thread. I am just curious as to what the function of this hole is. Trust me, after what I've dealt with, any Hyundai would be better than the junk I'm currently driving. Please go else where with you comments. Thanks

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Your reply is unnecessary and does not answer my question. My frame welds are much worse than pictured in this thread. I am just curious as to what the function of this hole is. Trust me, after what I've dealt with, any Hyundai would be better than the junk I'm currently driving. Please go else where with you comments. Thanks
The welds are the least of your problems. just trying to help you out .

Sponsored

WSTruck

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
check out 20 year old jeeps. their welds are as bad or worse. you should move on to a unibody Hyundai .
So the fact that Jeep welds have always been terrible somehow means the guy should buy a Hyundai instead of complaint? It’d be one thing if he was comparing about symptoms of the solid axle and removable top like some, but FCA could improve their welds and only make things better.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Anyone happen to know what purpose this welded hole in the frame serves? I'm in the process of replacing my jeep for poor welds, and on my jeep the weld around this whole has a massive hole in it. Please help!
I saw your other thread about the horrible welds. How's the progress coming with getting your Jeep replaced? Will you get another Wrangler?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Why did it take 2 years to resolve this weld issue?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Poor weld, or ugly weld?? Big big difference. Even ugly welds will hold up strong.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I went out and looked at my JL and I'm honestly not certain what it is, but I wasn't into crawling around the gravel drive too much.

Anyway the weld wouldn't concern me. There's some porosity but I think there's plenty of penetration, and it's only retaining a sleeve of some sort. Direct load on the weld itself appears minimal

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Same hole in my JLUR is empty. Could be something as simple as a robotic attachment point during assembly. Or possibly that's where the ground for the flux capacitor should be attached. It's quite possible that it does nothing and the JL engineers put it there to see if anyone noticed and asked about it (they are mischievous little cretins... those engineer type ;) )

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same hole in my JLUR is empty. Could be something as simple as a robotic attachment point during assembly. Or possibly that's where the ground for the flux capacitor should be attached. It's quite possible that it does nothing and the JL engineers put it there to see if anyone noticed and asked about it (they are mischievous little cretins... those engineer type ;) )
Yep mine is empty.

OP's in post #2 is empty

The pic in post #1 appears to maybe have a bolt threaded in from the other side, but on mine you can't really access the inboard side because of the sway bar mount.

Kinda weird but whatever it is it's not holding the vehicle together (not that I have any problem with asking questions and learning about the vehicle). Poor track bar welds would worry me.....this bung, not so much

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Just a guess, but as it on both sides right at the sway bar connection, it may just be a welded in spreader to strengthen the frame at that point by tying the inside and outside of frame together

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation