Sponsored

What head units have you guys upgraded to?

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I noticed a few things different in the full kit vs just integration kit:
- no GPS module, will the GPS in our Sirius antenna work?
- the harnesses look different, are they just bundled? or is there a difference
- no chime, are you able to control that on boot up now via speakers?
- antenna adapter (teal fakra) looks to need 12v now and not passive, are things still plug-and-play?

Thanks for having a community presence, this looks to be the solution most-all of us have wanted in an aftermarket solution!

PS The product page says JL but lists JK years
Hey @OlderSpice,
I am pretty excited about the new integration and happy to be here on the forum! I'll try to answer any questions you have. The JL kit is designed to be completely plug-and-play with all modules needed to retain factory Jeep options.

- The GPS card is sold separately, it's the SE-P14
- The SXV300V1 tuner is needed for SiriusXM radio
- The PAC SRK-JW18EH kit it just the kit, no radio included. The complete kit with the Heigh10 is available on the Stinger Off-Road website. Both come with the same wiring.
- A separate Chime module is included
- It should be the passive antenna not a powered antenna

Jeep Wrangler JL What head units have you guys upgraded to? 1602007422389

Also, thank you for the catch on the product page. The compatibility years are being updated!
Sponsored

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
I guess a simpler question would have been:
is the option listed on Stinger Off-Road a different SKU? Or is it just the new PAC SRK-JW18EH and a HEIGH10 off the shelf (which includes said GPS antenna), bundled and shipped together?

In any case, I'm looking forward to picking one up! Any promo for forum members? :angel:

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I guess a simpler question would have been:
is the option listed on Stinger Off-Road a different SKU? Or is it just the new PAC SRK-JW18EH and a HEIGH10 off the shelf (which includes said GPS antenna), bundled and shipped together?

In any case, I'm looking forward to picking one up! Any promo for forum members? :angel:
The Stinger Off-Road kit RB10JW18B is the PAC SRK-JW18EH and a HEIGH10 bundled along with Jeep JL specific manuals & information. So you would really only need to purchase those items separate if you already own either the Elev8 or the Heigh10 without the JL integration kit. I recommend going through your local Stinger dealer if this is the route you take since the SRK-JW18EH kit cannot be purchased on the site.

Since this just launched this week, the only current discount is for email subscribers which will give you $100 the full kit.
https://stingeroffroad.com/pages/jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-radio-upgrade

Hope this helps! :)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The Stinger Off-Road kit RB10JW18B is the PAC SRK-JW18EH and a HEIGH10 bundled along with Jeep JL specific manuals & information. So you would really only need to purchase those items separate if you already own either the Elev8 or the Heigh10 without the JL integration kit. I recommend going through your local Stinger dealer if this is the route you take since the SRK-JW18EH kit cannot be purchased on the site.

Since this just launched this week, the only current discount is for email subscribers which will give you $100 the full kit.
https://stingeroffroad.com/pages/jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-radio-upgrade

Hope this helps! :)
One question I couldn't find an answer to is the canbus integration. Some other units (insane audio I think) use an OBD bluetooth dongle which I'm not a fan of. How are you tapping the canbus?

And while I have you...are the factory mics or any of the factory usb ports retained? Or retainable? I'm especially curious about the USB port in the center console.

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
One question I couldn't find an answer to is the canbus integration. Some other units (insane audio I think) use an OBD bluetooth dongle which I'm not a fan of. How are you tapping the canbus?

And while I have you...are the factory mics or any of the factory usb ports retained? Or retainable? I'm especially curious about the USB port in the center console.
There's a great install video put out by Stinger that answers all your questions and more!

There's a CANbus header behind the glovebox. If you run out of header ports, their included T-harness allows for easy integration.

The USB in the center console is used for Apple Carplay/Android Auto and the ones on the dash are used for charging only(possibly thumb drives, I forget). They connect to the back of the unit with regular USB Type A so I'm thinking of running them up thru the dash for a cleaner look with a 67designs rail mount.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There's a great install video put out by Stinger that answers all your questions and more!

There's a CANbus header behind the glovebox. If you run out of header ports, their included T-harness allows for easy integration.

The USB in the center console is used for Apple Carplay/Android Auto and the ones on the dash are used for charging only(possibly thumb drives, I forget). They connect to the back of the unit with regular USB Type A so I'm thinking of running them up thru the dash for a cleaner look with a 67designs rail mount.
I think that video is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!

edit: Ordered!

Last edited:

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I haven't seen any issues. We have a Tazer Lite installed on our show Jeep JL and a Superchip in one of our JK installs. Both work great and won't interfere with the radio.
Wait, it still requires a pac?

or is it possible to just get the unit and plug the two amps into the outputs?

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Wait, it still requires a pac?

or is it possible to just get the unit and plug the two amps into the outputs?
The PAC is what retains all your factory steering wheel controls, camera(s), vehicle metrics (TPMS/off road pages/climate control/etc.), etc.

You could easily just pick up the ELEV8 or HEIGH10 and use something like

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-amp-s-audio-install-wrangler-jl.12886/

but, the beauty of this kit is it being exactly like factory.... but better!

If you're against using a PAC, and not interested in the screen real estate offered with these 8" and 10" units, another option I've seen is the Kenwood Excelon DMX706S

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
The product look fantastic and I'm really interested. But I'm also curious... After watching the video it is apparent that all of the wire harnesses used in the installation have to work flawlessly, and there are many connections. Are the harnesses thoroughly tested before shipping?
I work for a cable test manufacturer. Cirris Inc. and I don't trust cables that haven't been tested (preferably with our equipment). ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
The PAC is what retains all your factory steering wheel controls, camera(s), vehicle metrics (TPMS/off road pages/climate control/etc.), etc.

You could easily just pick up the ELEV8 or HEIGH10 and use something like

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-amp-s-audio-install-wrangler-jl.12886/

but, the beauty of this kit is it being exactly like factory.... but better!

If you're against using a PAC, and not interested in the screen real estate offered with these 8" and 10" units, another option I've seen is the Kenwood Excelon DMX706S
I really like the looks of the HEIGH10.. I just didn’t want to spend a bunch more on a line in convertor. Maybe I misunderstood.

I am getting my 21 rubi next weekend (if stars align, its in Utah now, waiting for a truck to get it to Idaho). So,,, I am considering pulling the u connect immediately and seeing what I can sell it for. Then use the funds toward this. I simply need to have inputs for two amps.

I have no idea what I can get for the u connect yet.

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
The $1599 (or $1499 if you sign up here - https://stingeroffroad.com/pages/jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-radio-upgrade) you spend is all-inclusive, everything you need for a plug-and-play install. No additional wires or connections need to be made, just basic hand tools.

Once installed, you can run your factory (or Alpine, just swap 1 harness location on the modules) speakers until you're ready to install an aftermarket amp and that'll plug into the RCAs on the back of the unit. No line out converter needed - ever.

If you opted for the 7", I've seen them being sold around here for ~$450.
The 8.4" is much more popular and I've seen anywhere from $900 - $1400, depending on demand.
Both of which require a 4-digit unlock code needed from your dealer, and usually include the bezel.

I've got the 7" myself and plan to use it in recouping some of the costs!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I may have missed this in the detail... Are the AUX buttons supported as well?

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I may have missed this in the detail... Are the AUX buttons supported as well?
Yes they are. You will retain all factory controls. If desired, you can even reprogram buttons such as your steering wheel controls to do things like move the volume to the other side of the steering wheel or control camera inputs.
Sponsored