Sponsored

What does your car really know about you?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
To be fair, even if you did get the 8.4", you can just swap it out for something else.
Yeah, was just teasing...the “benefits” of the lowest trim level :)

Honestly though there is something nice about the simplicity, even the manual windows and locks (although I’d probably miss those in a 4 door).

Now I just have to do the ESS delete once the warranty is up...
Sponsored

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
This should be pretty dramatically impacted by the new California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) that just went into effect. It requires many businesses collecting personal data to allow you to request a copy of that data as well as opt out of the data being sold to another company without incurring any penalty. It's more complicated than that but you get the idea. My assumption is it will spread to other states as well.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This should be pretty dramatically impacted by the new California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) that just went into effect. It requires many businesses collecting personal data to allow you to request a copy of that data as well as opt out of the data being sold to another company without incurring any penalty. It's more complicated than that but you get the idea. My assumption is it will spread to other states as well.
Yes but it only applies to California residents. Jeep's website even explicitly only addresses California residents when offering the forms for this request

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I think if they want to track you can't even run to Mexico anymore . VPN cheaters or not they can see through the walls if they need to. I just read recently how AVG was using a spy software within their anti virus program. It's all BS all these fancy softwares. How often do I read in papers of major corporations and institutions being breached by hackers. And these people spend zillions on cyber security. and it still isn't bullet proof.That's my honest opinion.
You are correct sir! All of these things do not truly buy you security, just the illusion of it to make you more comfortable.
CCPA is only for residents of CA, however that may be used as a guideline for a federal regulation down the road similar to GDPR. I would love to see GDPR and CCPA combined for a meaningful federal regulation for this. Being in the industry, and seeing a lot of classified briefings around the daily cyber threats it enough to give anyone nightmares. Having a little more control or say as to how your personal data is used and transferred will be a good thing for everyone.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You are correct sir! All of these things do not truly buy you security, just the illusion of it to make you more comfortable.

CCPA is only for residents of CA, however that may be used as a guideline for a federal regulation down the road similar to GDPR. I would love to see GDPR and CCPA combined for a meaningful federal regulation for this. Being in the industry, and seeing a lot of classified briefings around the daily cyber threats it enough to give anyone nightmares. Having a little more control or say as to how your personal data is used and transferred will be a good thing for everyone.
And just because they SAY they deleted the information or won't collect it anymore, doesn't mean they won't log it elsewhere or send it off to a gov agency before "deleting"

Sponsored

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
It's like Google, Facebook, etc.
All this stuff we think is free... how do they make money?
Someone said, "If you don't know what the product is, YOU are the product."

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It's like Google, Facebook, etc.
All this stuff we think is free... how do they make money?
Someone said, "If you don't know what the product is, YOU are the product."
but in this case the product is fairly expensive. It’s the business going “how can we maximize profit growth?”

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
but in this case the product is fairly expensive. It’s the business going “how can we maximize profit growth?”
Exactly. If I am paying this much I expect privacy. Like I do with my paid email service

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Exactly. If I am paying this much I expect privacy. Like I do with my paid email service
Not only that. They make a lot of money from collecting our data, I know because I am a data scientist for a large corporation and they'll do anything they can to obtain data. I am not allowed to do anything I want with consumer personal data, in fact I have to get permission if I want to touch it, and it is a lengthy approval process. I know there are a lot of regulations in Europe, but we also operate heavily in the U.S.

I am not entirely sure of the legal matters, but I don't think they can just do whatever they want with your private data anymore. The field is cloudy and tricky nowadays, we know corps like Facebook are doing what they please with people's data and enriching themselves with it, but also starting to get in trouble.

Our data is so valuable they shouldn't ask us for permission to use it, they should be paying us. When we used these so called "free apps" we are actually getting a terrible deal, because the value they get out of our data is a lot lot more than we get from the app.

TheLast929

First Name
Gibb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 JL Wrangler 4XE and a bunch of non-Jeeps.
Some are glad they have a base model JK.
I still have my square body K5 with a carb! 😁