Sponsored

What does your car really know about you?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...-car-know-about-you-we-hacked-chevy-find-out/

Selected excerpts

On a recent drive, a 2017 Chevrolet collected my precise location. It stored my phone’s ID and the people I called. It judged my acceleration and braking style, beaming back reports to its maker General Motors over an always-on Internet connection.

We’re at a turning point for driving surveillance: In the 2020 model year, most new cars sold in the United States will come with built-in Internet connections, including 100 percent of Fords, GMs and BMWs and all but one model Toyota and Volkswagen. (This independent cellular service is often included free or sold as an add-on.)

There are no federal laws regulating what carmakers can collect or do with our driving data. And carmakers lag in taking steps to protect us and draw lines in the sand. Most hide what they’re collecting and sharing behind privacy policies written in the kind of language only a lawyer’s mother could love.

Modern vehicles don’t just have one computer. There are multiple, interconnected brains that can generate up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour from sensors all over the car. Even with Mason’s gear, we could only access some of these systems.

Among the trove of data points were unique identifiers for my and Doug’s phones, and a detailed log of phone calls from the previous week. There was a long list of contacts, right down to people’s address, emails and even photos.

Infotainment systems can collect even more. Mason has hacked into Fords that record locations once every few minutes, even when you don’t use the navigation system. He’s seen German cars with 300-gigabyte hard drives — five times as much as a basic iPhone 11. The Tesla Model 3 can collect video snippets from the car’s many cameras. Coming next: face data, used to personalize the vehicle and track driver attention.

My volunteer car owner Doug asked GM to see the data it collected and shared. The automaker just pointed us to an obtuse privacy policy. Doug also (twice) sent GM a formal request under a 2003 California data law to ask who the company shared his information with. He got no reply.

GM spokesman David Caldwell declined to offer specifics on Doug’s Chevy but said the data GM collects generally falls into three categories: vehicle location, vehicle performance and driver behavior. “Much of this data is highly technical, not linkable to individuals and doesn’t leave the vehicle itself,” he said.

The company, he said, collects real-time data to monitor vehicle performance to improve safety and to help design future products and services.

GM would not tell me exactly what data it collected for that program but said “personal information was not involved” because it was anonymized data. (Privacy advocates have warned that location data is personal because it can be re-identified with individuals because we follow such unique patterns.)

GM’s privacy policy, which the company says it will update before the end of 2019, says it may “use anonymized information or share it with third parties for any legitimate business purpose.” Such as whom? “The details of those third-party relationships are confidential,” said Caldwell.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, we live in a brave new world of constant surveillance fueling targeted advertisements.

I recommend everyone invest in a VPN and use DuckDuckGo vice Google. If you’re really paranoid learn how to use Tor effectively.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
These invasive Data Trawling methods always say, in one form or another, that the information gathered is for your benefit. The fine print would be hilarious, if you could opt out. You can NOT.
I drive a plain Sport, hopefully not as talkative as the higher optioned JLs..

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Would disconnecting the satellite antenna stop this? Is the 4g antenna a different unit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Still waiting on Jeep’s privacy team response but general customer service had this to say on what/how data is collected and transmitted. I also asked how to disable this both with a setting/software route and hardware route

we send data as a run-time algorithm that requires a wifi connection, the other details are proprietary and you would need to contact Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, FCA Headquarters by mail.

Their contact is:

FCA Customer Care
PO Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills MI 48321-8004

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have mentioned this in another thread, but worth repeating here. I am a Sr. Cybersecurity manager and have attended many industry briefings etc. where this was discussed. There are actual articles and discussions around just this topic and how valuable the data collected from your car actually is. There are some estimates that a manufacturer like FCA will reach a point where they make more profit from selling your data that is collected over the life of the car than they do selling you the actual car. Think about all the info and how valuable it would be if you could target ads etc. to a person based on their driving habits, where they are, where they end up etc. it is pretty scary stuff, and until the US does something like the EU with GDPR nothing will change as far as what rights we as consumers have.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
So, what wires do I cut?
All of them, or go back to a TJ / LJ and give up your smart phone.

Sometime go look at all the data Google /Apple collects. It is beyond scary how much details are known. Every connected device you have adds to the picture available via data mining.

I do this research for a living, my specialty is Internet of things / SaaS / Cloud security. There are daily briefings that sometimes keep me up at night and make me reconsider my online footprint for sure.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
and until the US does something like the EU with GDPR nothing will change as far as what rights we as consumers have.
Very well said. I feel like we're currently in the wild wild west of consumer data gathering, and this is one time I completely agree with the going the EU's direction. It's scary how much is out there and freely sold and given without a care or consequence.

Sponsored

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The amount of data that is collected is crazy. Frankly, it makes me uncomfortable but there is little I can do about it.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Yup, we live in a brave new world of constant surveillance fueling targeted advertisements.

I recommend everyone invest in a VPN and use DuckDuckGo vice Google. If you’re really paranoid learn how to use Tor effectively.

Honestly I think if they want to track you can't even run to Mexico anymore . VPN cheaters or not they can see through the walls if they need to. I just read recently how AVG was using a spy software within their anti virus program. It's all BS all these fancy softwares. How often do I read in papers of major corporations and institutions being breached by hackers. And these people spend zillions on cyber security. and it still isn't bullet proof.That's my honest opinion.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The fine print would be hilarious, if you could opt out. You can NOT.
I drive a plain Sport, hopefully not as talkative as the higher optioned JLs..
I have good news for you! You did opt out. The only radio that has a modem is the 8.4" radio. The 5" and 7" have no way of wirelessly transmitting data. The GPS and Satellite radio receivers are just receivers.

A funny thing about GM's system is they even know your seat position. There's not much about it online but you can sign into a cloud account from the radio, such that any GM car that has that system can recall your seat/radio presets and stuff lol.