What does offroading feel like?

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm a brand new Jeep owner and I can't wait for my first trail. Someone asked me a question as a newbie I feel that I am ill-equipped to answer so please help me.

The question - "So you are going to drive 60 miles on perfectly paved roads to go off-road for 7 miles in a muddy area with no real scenic view of sorts. Why would you do that and spend hours cleaning your vehicle afterwards?"

For people who went on their 1st offroading trip, what got you hooked?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
For my family it's like an amusement park or similar - something quite thrilling and exciting. It is a nice way to spend some family time together. For my son and I it's also bonding time as he likes to get the jeep "ready" and to clean it up after. Teaches him pride of ownership.

As the one driving I like it as it's also a challenge mentally to pick the right path and make it through something that seems illogical to be able to do so.

Hope this helps.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
First of gets me out to explore more remote rural areas that I would have no other reason to visit. Also when I'm out on the trails it's kind of meditative and let's me escape a little bit getting my mind off of work and such because I have to focus on the trail or fixing my Jeep. Meet lots of life time friends and learned a lot about cars and nature and geology

OP
OP

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For my family it's like an amusement park or similar - something quite thrilling and exciting. It is a nice way to spend some family time together. For my son and I it's also bonding time as he likes to get the jeep "ready" and to clean it up after. Teaches him pride of ownership.

As the one driving I like it as it's also a challenge mentally to pick the right path and make it through something that seems illogical to be able to do so.

Hope this helps.
Such a great response. Thank you. I hope to experience the same.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rrwins

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
First of gets me out to explore more remote rural areas that I would have no other reason to visit. Also when I'm out on the trails it's kind of meditative and let's me escape a little bit getting my mind off of work and such because I have to focus on the trail or fixing my Jeep. Meet lots of life time friends and learned a lot about cars and nature and geology
Makes total sense. I have never really explored GA but have done hiking and backpacking in numerous touristy locations. Hope to explore and learn about my own backyard. Thank you.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
My Wife and I just love getting out into the open air. We also pack along some good items to cook and picnic. She's made some awesome trail tacos, steaks, breakfast, you name it.... But we just love popping the top, unzipping the sides and back, and letting the fresh air flow around you.

It's a Jeep thing man!

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

If done right, Like entering a thunderstorm in the lower 1/3 at 300 knots - scary sh*t

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe my last vid will give you an idea.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
RUVP2sAk3uG9LPm6FiKxUGnymc0I3rDdn9zNLymzDbRlkDVvAh2IVZZiGjYVNRixOBt_L9CAouj8bCigvbEH1Q9mWQ=w2400.jpg

_A5zesc5rS17e2_OaSktxpjwJ4P_tVYvGQuwhcn51hOz5mX2iMKcDEtDGdabVLy94uPLmAw_dV_9ZZJCO29QBbqpAA=w2400.jpg

HrRZBbTWGdtHwgMNaefkf7jM047NbeQGwObwDvZixS7DbPd3-8Rs0C3z3z5_dy559SCvdlG-oNnIVzcqAqYKR9ftYA=w2400.jpg

j-cXI2-HBTosT30jKaVASuxJX_c6qFkVsgfibl5Ytj9MmYA-EBgzHORhs-79riwhqVKuFk98W3za2k5ST7B7QxmEJg=w2400.jpg

3CHjkNv_yuGnGhkn11GLtvLBqlosHXpsBB7zcclPQQ48SBb6-bdUWsMdauw5lXR5I6Ltf8PH1GvlBjJ85NgGg8ZXmw=w2400.jpg

EHFPmnuwXJIf-oTNRRRjZle8mY528RGQoZ3oy03crYsdUBFiFEQGHvsWgEQIWgwHOlzE_-Z33XtouuESL0VzysXNyA=w2400.jpg

Why all the pictures? Because they show a better story than I ever could with just words.

What does it feel like? You'll see beauty, even if you aren't anticipating it. You'll often meet some amazing groups of people, and spending time doing things with them will make the adventure that much more memorable. Finally, you'll do some things that you didn't realize you could do, or that your Jeep could do, and you'll have both an adrenaline rush, as well as a sense of satisfaction from doing those things.

My added bonus is that my family enjoys it, and it's something we all look forward to.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
In all seriousness, it’s a great thing to do with a group of like people. You will come across a ton of great people and the occasional bad apple. You will see a great deal of selflessness and team work when the going gets tough. I’ve learned to sometimes avoid an obstacle because it doesn’t make sense. Can’t let peer pressure or your own ego get the best of you. I very much enjoy a nice easy going trip over getting myself in a jam because I was dumb and tried something I shouldn’t have.

Last edited:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I can't quote for some reason but this...what shenanigans said
Can’t let peer pressure or your own ego get the best of you. I very much enjoy a nice easy going trip over getting myself in a jam because I was dumb and tried something I shouldn’t have.

Anyone worth wheeling with, won't care if you bypass an obstacle because you aren't comfortable trying it.

But it feels amazing to drive off road, whether it is a difficult trail, or a dirt road. you are free
Sponsored