Went wheeling solo again today

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
as long as you tell someone where you are going and when you are coming back and take extra food and water for several days you will be found...stay with the vehicle because a large jeep is easier to spot than a body wandering around...I first wheeled around Death Valley for a week at a time back in the 80's in a dinosaur of a 1977 Dodge Ramcharger and once had an issue where I was alone out in the middle of nowhere when the thing would not start...turned out to be the neutral safety switch got disconnected from the transmission when I ran over a rock...another time the fuel pump quit but I was with a group and got towed out...stuff happens but preparation is key.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A little late to the party, but since nobody mentioned it...
For a few hundred bucks you can get a personal emergency communicator. Garmin makes some from a few hundred bucks up. For the solo wheeler or single vehicle wheeler, it may be worth it if you're going to remote places with little/no others.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Yeah +1 for a Garmin InReach.

That said, we wheel mostly alone, and have for decades. We enjoy solo exploration without the logistical hassles of coordinating a group.

Being retired now, we spend about 150 days a year in the most remote places we can find. And it’s not very easy to find others that have similar interests and the freedom to pursue them. Sometimes we intersect with others for a few days, but that’s about it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah +1 for a Garmin InReach.

That said, we wheel mostly alone, and have for decades. We enjoy solo exploration without the logistical hassles of coordinating a group.

Being retired now, we spend about 150 days a year in the most remote places we can find. And it’s not very easy to find others that have similar interests and the freedom to pursue them. Sometimes we intersect with others for a few days, but that’s about it.
Not so much in the last 2 years, but I've been in some pretty remote places, hunting. I was in the JLUR with a friend 30-40 miles from a paved road near the OR, NV, ID borders, hunting chukar. I wondered how long we'd be stuck if the JLUR electronics decided to go belly up. An In-reach is in my future.

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, any of you guys like Mojave, Death Valley and pretty soon the Sierras. Springs
Palm Springs is more than a say trip for me. I can be pretty flexible... but do need some notice. But I am off F,S,S so not much notice needed for those days
Sponsored