Welds on new 2019 JLs

Karpcbk15

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Should I wait until FCA gets this weld issue resolved to buy or order? Seeing some pretty ugly looking welds for robotic welders.
Sponsored

MushMouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL hopeful
I am delaying my purchasing decision as long as possible to let them get the welding issues resolved. This are simple solution fixes - and it is borderline terrifying (to me) that they aren't addressing them.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I believe that this is what it is. There’s no information for us to believe that FCA will change vendor, methods, or QC standards. Why would they? They’re literally selling more of these than they can build, known quality (and safety) issues notwithstanding. There’s a built on base of die hard brand loyalists that will defend this as acceptable (“a Jeep thing”) and thousands of consumers - including me - lined up to give them $50K for them as they are. Flaws and all. There’s no financial incentive to do better. And FCA is a business who has shareholders and a board to answer to.

Villagevip

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Very disappointed FCA did not correct, eliminate the DW on the all new designed Jl, now the frame welds...Love the Jl so much, I will give her more time in rehab, to straighten her life out...Till then, it will be tough love..

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
my 18 has no weld issue

The weld issue affected a small percentage of 18s
They actually did a recall for the manufacturing dates affected, not sure what else people want them to do.

shit happens, they resolved it, no need to change vendors, yes those welds should have been caught on QC.

If you are custom ordering, just do it, check the welds when it gets to dealer, if you do not like the welds, you don't have to buy it.
if your buying off the lot, just look at welds.

when I bought mine off the lot I spend a good 2 hours driving it and looking through everything ( not sure why anyone wouldn't do that when spending 40k+ on anything)

So, if you want a wrangler, buy one.
If you want an excuse not to, then just read shit on the internet to justify not buying it.

More people are enjoying their JLs, than not.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Very disappointed FCA did not correct, eliminate the DW on the all new designed Jl, now the frame welds...Love the Jl so much, I will give her more time in rehab, to straighten her life out...Till then, it will be tough love..
Mine acquired DW at 3500 miles, brought it in, they gave me a loaner, they did a TSB recal, I also had them check the torque on ball joints, track bar, control arms and everything else on the front suspension, took her for a ride on 4 highways that it previously shook on and didn't do it once.
Tech said he found a few things not quite torqued to spec.

does yours have DW?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Through the automotive news publication, there were 57 effected Wranglers with frame weld issues.

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
How do you check for the weld issue on a 2019?

Is it a known issue for 2019s or just a holdover from the 2018s?

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
From what I was told from an engineer, the weld issue has been fixed at the supplier. They also placed someone in body shop and on chassis line 1 to verify the welds..

Sponsored

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
The issue is not weld but it get built. Toledo is on three shift now, who do you think weld the frame when a full-time welder get sick leave , a less experienced guy new hired correct? I am not saying a new guy must screw but there is only one possible reason fca screw some very basic stuff like the weld - they are not careful.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Mine acquired DW at 3500 miles, brought it in, they gave me a loaner, they did a TSB recal, I also had them check the torque on ball joints, track bar, control arms and everything else on the front suspension, took her for a ride on 4 highways that it previously shook on and didn't do it once.
Tech said he found a few things not quite torqued to spec.

does yours have DW?
I have a hard time believing that multiple bolts failed torque. I use over 10 torque guns a day on the engine line. Every single bolt/nut that requires a specific torque is tightened by a torque gun which is set for the correct torque. Each gun is electric and hooked up to a computer to verify proper torque. Also there are people whose only job is to check every single bolt/nut 5 times per shift

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
From what I was told from an engineer, the weld issue has been fixed at the supplier. They also placed someone in body shop and on chassis line 1 to verify the welds..
When did this start? Hoping before mine was built. Sitting in 'I' right now... For two weeks so far.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
When did this start? Hoping before mine was built. Sitting in 'I' right now... For two weeks so far.
Not sure exact date but definitely before the 19's were built