Weird noise when accelerating

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Ok please bear w me as this is difficult to describe, but basically i have a 6mt sport s, w/ borla atak axleback

when speeding up, typically around 49-53mph in 3rd gear, i would hear a weird noise. It would accelerate fine but then around that speed it would almost feel like theres an interruption - like a quick downshift- and then it would continue speeding up normally.

“vroooooooo -womp- ooooooom” is probably the best i can describe this lol. Clutch engages fine... I just wanna see if this is an issue with anyone else before i bring it back to the dreaded dealership. No lights on dash. I’ve only noticed this after my axleback was installed. Would an exhaust leak cause this? Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Ok please bear w me as this is difficult to describe, but basically i have a 6mt sport s, w/ borla atak axleback

when speeding up, typically around 49-53mph in 3rd gear, i would hear a weird noise. It would accelerate fine but then around that speed it would almost feel like theres an interruption - like a quick downshift- and then it would continue speeding up normally.

“vroooooooo -womp- ooooooom” is probably the best i can describe this lol. Clutch engages fine... I just wanna see if this is an issue with anyone else before i bring it back to the dreaded dealership. No lights on dash. I’ve only noticed this after my axleback was installed. Would an exhaust leak cause this? Any input is appreciated!

I am sorry to hear that. My manual gearing is fine but I've got only about 3.5. K miles on mine. I would definitely take it to the dealer. It won't get any better and it is under full warranty so why wait?

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sorry to hear that. My manual gearing is fine but I've got only about 3.5. K miles on mine. I would definitely take it to the dealer. It won't get any better and it is under full warranty so why wait?
thanks! I’m wondering if the axleback was the issue since i didnt notice it until after i put it on. Gonna try putting on stock exhaust and see if that makes things better before bringing it to dealership.

found a better way of describing it though, its like a “pulsing” when accelerating. Only at around 49-53mph

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
thanks! I’m wondering if the axleback was the issue since i didnt notice it until after i put it on. Gonna try putting on stock exhaust and see if that makes things better before bringing it to dealership.

found a better way of describing it though, its like a “pulsing” when accelerating. Only at around 49-53mph
You said only in third gear, right? So not at the same RPM in second or fourth?

Jas0n

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I’ve got just the muffler removed on my 6MT. Never heard what you’re describing. Any chance you could get a recording?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said only in third gear, right? So not at the same RPM in second or fourth?
never took it that high in second, but i do not recall hearing it in 4th

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve got just the muffler removed on my 6MT. Never heard what you’re describing. Any chance you could get a recording?
Will try to later tonight!

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
never took it that high in second, but i do not recall hearing it in 4th
Honestly if it’s only in one gear at the specific RPM and only after the exhaust I’d imagine it’s harmonics and just more pronounced after the new exhaust. I’ve experienced similar things by going to different flywheels and with a new exhaust on an automatic.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

The "Atak" is one raspy loud muffler. I know because I had it.

It's the sound of the exhaust buddy, nothing wrong with the jeep.
Sponsored