First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Yeah the "wave". I understand that folks enjoy camaraderie in any type of social group. These are my individual thoughts and do not imply that anyone else would agree, although someone might. My driving history goes back five decades and includes on-road, off-road with two and four wheeled vehicles. Never owned a Jeep older than the CJ generation but used the neighbors Willys plow Jeep quite often. Have had Jeeps, 4X4 trucks, and Harleys all along.

Long ago it was not especially common to see Jeeps and Harleys all around. Other brand off-road capable rigs and motorcycles were about equally represented on the roads back in the day. We shared a wave with folks who shared our interests weather it were a Jeep, Harley, Ducati, BSA, Scout, Bronco, Chevy, Honda, Yamaha and such. There were times scooting across the USA I would stop, turn around and pull over to chew the fat with another motorcyclist, it was that rare in those days. Today, forget about it. Way too many Harleys, Jeeps and all the rest to be lifting a hand to total strangers. Strangers who can't fix their own scooter on the side of the road or Jeep on the trail.

Keep in mind what the proliferation of sales have done to us old geezers. Prices have gone through the roof and for my taste there are just too many people rubbing elbows in all of my life interests. With all that said, I rarely wave anymore unless it is to someone in the old geezer club. For all of you recent entrants into the Jeep community, best wishes to all.
Sponsored

NeoMaximuz

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Unlimited Rubicon JL
In my town I also see a lot of women in Jeeps, most don't wave back, but there's a particular Punk'n JL that always waves. My wife likes to borrow my Jeep and wave at others.

At least here, older dudes in older Jeeps don't even look at me, and maybe 30% of the JKs and JLs I see wave back.

Btsnyder11

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Honestly, the Jeep wave is too much of a hassle. We got our Wrangler in October and so far I'm about 30% successful on the waves. There's just too many Jeeps out there. I usually only remember when my wife is sitting passenger side telling me someone just waved to me

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Where I live it seems like everyone owns a jeep, My hand is tired. I forget to wave back at times as well... I should be used to a wave as I ride motorcycles often, but still as a new owner, it takes some getting used to. My wife will wave as well from the passenger seat, or remind me to wave..

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Illinois the wave is about 90%! Also, if you see another jeeper in the parking lot and both know you have a Jeep, then a nod of head or some sort of acknowledgement is generally in order and followed through. Occasionally, I have missed a wave because am also driving and sometimes I am paying attention at other things than the cars coming ahead... I always feel bad about it and so i try to be more diligent next time. That is why I don't begrudge others not waiving--possibly they missed me because of whatever other reason than them not wanting to wave back. :like:

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
A dude waved at me the other day as I was walking into CVS. I gave him a slight wave back but my face told another story of "Do I know you dude..., oh boy another crazy person"... then I looked back just before passing into the store, and I saw him get into a Jeep.. then it dawned on me :facepalm:. I feel like a prick to this day. Hey dude if your on here sorry about that.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep wave is "too much a hassle". We enjoy waving and getting waved at! All in fun and glad others enjoy the same jeep life!

galway2038

First Name
Shelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Associate Professor, Interactive Design
People give me the typical few fingers up hand still on the wheel "Hey, I see you and I'm waving but I want to be cool and not too obvious about it" and I'm over here all like "HEEEEEYYY!! HI! HELLOOOO FELLOW JEEPER!!! *wavewavewave*"
HA totally 100% me =D

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I never wave here in NYC. People here just aren’t as friendly as I’ve seen in other parts of the country. I feel like a d**k if I wave and get a blank stare. Then you get the rare person that’s coming towards you and does wave and by the time you process it, get over the shock that another Jeeper is waving I pass them before I can wave back. Then I feel like a d**k again!

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My office managers husband likes Jeeps( used to own one) but tells her he won't buy one because it's too much of a pain to have to wave all the time. I found that pretty funny. Like a previous poster said, I'm an old guy, been on bikes and Jeeps for a lot of years. Where I live there are just too many. Its can get tiring. I do a peace sign wave. Just two fingers in case you don't know. With the jeep its up, with the bike its down. I do it.

Sponsored

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
I never wave here in NYC. People here just aren’t as friendly as I’ve seen in other parts of the country. I feel like a d**k if I wave and get a blank stare. Then you get the rare person that’s coming towards you and does wave and by the time you process it, get over the shock that another Jeeper is waving I pass them before I can wave back. Then I feel like a d**k again!
I can vouch for this, hardly ANY waves in the Bronx