Warranty worth it?

Iceman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
First time Jeep Owner.... looks like 2k for the 8 year 85k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Also another $495 to have the Mopar lift covered, which seems weird considering it’s a Mopar part... in the past I’ve had Toyota’s and always skipped the extended warranty, wish they still had the lifetime warranty available... with my luck I’ll spend $2,500 and the Jeep will be good till 90k miles... advice? I’ve got the 4CYL turbo which also makes me nervous..
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
First time Jeep Owner.... looks like 2k for the 8 year 85k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Also another $495 to have the Mopar lift covered, which seems weird considering it’s a Mopar part... in the past I’ve had Toyota’s and always skipped the extended warranty, wish they still had the lifetime warranty available... with my luck I’ll spend $2,500 and the Jeep will be good till 90k miles... advice? I’ve got the 4CYL turbo which also makes me nervous..
Who is offering the warranty? I’m assuming not FCA because this is the first I’ve heard of it. So first of all I’d make sure the org offering it is likely to still be around to service the warranty in 7 years.

but if that is the case and it’s truly bumper-to-bumper, I would definitely pay $2k for another 8 years and 85k miles. In a heartbeat.

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
I have turbo ,F C A offers 84 month 80000 miles for $1700 on mine fully refundable if not used. It was will worth it to me.

OP
OP

Iceman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Who is offering the warranty? I’m assuming not FCA because this is the first I’ve heard of it. So first of all I’d make sure the org offering it is likely to still be around to service the warranty in 7 years.

but if that is the case and it’s truly bumper-to-bumper, I would definitely pay $2k for another 8 years and 85k miles. In a heartbeat.
It’s through Mopar, 8 years from date of service, 3 of which are covered by the 3 years 36 months... so only extends 5 years from factory

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the money and it’s not going to put you in a bind financially, then go for it. If it does last and you don’t use it, and you divide the 2500 by the years it lasted your talking very little money a year. Look at it like any other insurance you pay for but never use.....;)

Sponsored

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
Is the 84/80k offered on the 2.0T w/ eTorque only or the new version without it also? I read that both 2.0 have the ESS start/stop feature.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
While I'm a lifetime warranty owner, having gotten mine a while back when the JL was new (4/2018) depending on how you define "worth it," no warranty is.

Paid extended warranties aren't some "service" the manufacturer begrudgingly offers you. They're money making programs where the bean counters figure out the likelihood and cost of repairing things covered under the warranty and then price polices so the underwriter will make money on them.

Only you can determine if, despite this financial fact, they are worth it to you. You need to quantify your own personal tolerance to risk compared to the insurance cost.

I got my warranty because I was buying a new model year vehicle which thank goodness I've had little problems with and wanted to hedge my risk given my desire to have the latest and greatest over the more time tested JK.

Last edited:

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
So you bought it because you were purchasing the 1st year of a New model run, but you don’t think it’s worth it for others depending on their risk tolerance. So you’re a cautious risk taker.

I’d recommend pricing the FCA vs other warranties out there. I have a Route66 warranty on my BMW and am really impressed with the coverage and their customer service approach.

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
The Route66 easy street warranty is similar to the mopar max care. I’d price them both.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/extended-warranty

Like I said above I have in my BMW 135. It’s currently in the shop & Route66 is covering a leaking oil pan & headlight washer leak. In 3 years it’s about paid for itself on an 8 year old car w/ 70k miles.

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just received a letter from Mopar to call for special pricing on “bumper to bumper” coverage on my new 20 JLUR. $2000 for 7 yr 70K mikes. $100 deductible. But, it starts immediately. So it’s really a 4 Yr extension. Sounds pricey.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did not purchase one, but its a Chrysler backed warranty sold by a dealer in Michigan according to their site.
Thx. Interesting enough, it doesn’t look like your pay dramatically more by waiting until your factory warranty is up to purchase. ie, instead of a 2020 I put in a 2017 and priced out a 8 year. Not a lot more than pre paying now.
Sponsored