zshowket

First Name
Ziyad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler & 2008 Rubicon 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Traditionally your voltage gauge shows you the voltage that your alternator is producing, and can show when your battery is in a charge mode or if you are using a lot of electronics. If your battery is charged then the voltage would read lower.

However, in the jeep gauge it shows Battery Voltage. So is this measuring the battery or the charge?

When I see 14.8 I am assuming that is what the jeep is producing to charge the battery. However, I have heard others mention the exact opposite.

Anyone know the truth to this?
Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure. . but i know that my voltage gauge fluctuates from 12.9V to 14.8V.... is this normal?

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure. . but i know that my voltage gauge fluctuates from 12.9V to 14.8V.... is this normal?
Isn’t the 12v one is when the auxiliary battery—the smaller one— is the only battery on. And the 14.8v is the big one? That’s my guess

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Isn’t the 12v one is when the auxiliary battery—the smaller one— is the only battery on. And the 14.8v is the big one? That’s my guess
I'm not sure... sometime's it reads 14.8V then it will drop to 12.9V for a while and then back up to 14.8V

If the ESS is on, it'll drop to 12V until the jeep starts up again.

OP
OP
zshowket

zshowket

First Name
Ziyad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler & 2008 Rubicon 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure... sometime's it reads 14.8V then it will drop to 12.9V for a while and then back up to 14.8V

If the ESS is on, it'll drop to 12V until the jeep starts up again.
Well then, that is our answer. My ESS has not worked for over a month, that is why I have started watching the gauge. If yours drops to 12v when the ESS engages then that is your true battery voltage, everything above that is what the charging system is producing to operate the electronics and charge the battery.

This is one reason I am getting rid of the stock small battery and going with a dual battery setup.

Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Traditionally your voltage gauge shows you the voltage that your alternator is producing, and can show when your battery is in a charge mode or if you are using a lot of electronics. If your battery is charged then the voltage would read lower.

However, in the jeep gauge it shows Battery Voltage. So is this measuring the battery or the charge?

When I see 14.8 I am assuming that is what the jeep is producing to charge the battery. However, I have heard others mention the exact opposite.

Anyone know the truth to this?
Think of voltage like water pressure in a pipe. It doesn't matter where you measure it, it will be the same. Now when you turn off the pressure, or turn off the engine, then you are measuring battery voltage. You can't measure battery voltage accurately while the vehicle is running, because no matter where you check it, you are seeing charging voltage.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Well then, that is our answer. My ESS has not worked for over a month, that is why I have started watching the gauge. If yours drops to 12v when the ESS engages then that is your true battery voltage, everything above that is what the charging system is producing to operate the electronics and charge the battery.

This is one reason I am getting rid of the stock small battery and going with a dual battery setup.
I just thought the jeep would charge at 14-ish all the time it was running and not fluctuate. I get and it makes sense what you are saying about when the ESS is on, but i was troubled with the fluctuation when the vehicle was running.

With today's cars running off of computers and not old school voltage regulators, this may be normal for all i know...:)

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

battery voltage and the voltage produced by the alternator are in sync. Alternator charges the battery and the battery is the main power connection for all of the electronics. therefore what the battery voltage gauge says tells you everything. at 14.6 - 14.8 your charging and running everything on the alt. when at 12.8 your atl has been opened up to allow just the battery to be used. this function allows the battery to drain a bit to keep the electrons moving and allows the battery to last a lot longer. could do a full detail of it but that will take to long. LOL. as long as your jeep starts its alllll good

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Very normal. You shouldn't be constantly in the 14s unless you are only on short trips.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I did my first night drive in my jlur. I set the display to show voltage, and it remained below 12.8 the entire 40 mile trip while driving. When stopped at the few lights it would jump to 13.3-13.5 but as soon as I started driving again, it would drop.

Is this normal? For most vehicles, I would think I have a bad regulator.

I have the LED, tow package, 3.6L auto.

Edit:

I did search before writing, but continued searching and found this thread

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/low-voltage-on-the-3-6.23751/

Guess it is normal.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The voltage is high when the smart alternator is engaged/charging (typically while braking) and low when it's disengaged (typically all other times unless the battery is below a certain threshold and/or the electrical load is over certain threshold).

Tldr typically "high" voltage indicates the battery is charging and "low" voltage indicates it's discharging.
Sponsored