VIAIR Portable wont latch

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I don't know if this is the best sub board, but I've got a question about the new VIAIR 450 I had ordered. I tried it this weekend on my wife's commuter car just to be sure it works, and it mostly did. But the valve won't latch. I'm not sure what to call the part, but it's the little button on the back of the valve that connects to the tire - it doesn't move.

It should be able to go down and hook to the valve stem shouldn't it? I can't get the little button to move or stay attached to the tire. So I end up having to push it down the entire time I'm inflating the tire, and when I air down my bigger tires I don't want to have to hold this for five minutes or so on each tire.

Does anyone know if this is normal or if it is probably defective? Should I send it back to swap for another?

Thanks!
Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Post a picture. I have the 300p and it has a very obvious latch that you unlock before you put the hose on. Not sure if it’s the same hose as the 450.

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Thanks @JeepSmash. I'm out at a class this week, I'll post a picture when I get back to the house.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @JeepSmash. I'm out at a class this week, I'll post a picture when I get back to the house.
Any more feedback on your Viair compressor? I am thinking about buying one.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have a 450p, it’s the RV kit. Bought it cause for the price, cheaper at the time than 400 and 450. Got an extra hose. Inflator is screw on. Compressor is pretty quiet and inflates from 25-35psi on 33s reasonably fast. Only issue is the gauge isn’t the best as I’ve had to remove it to get an accurate reading. I think this is due to the hoses being under pressure during inflation. I think if I can relieve it a little before measuring, it would be spot on. Minor annoyance as I can just look at TPMS or use my other pressure gauge to check.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Any more feedback on your Viair compressor? I am thinking about buying one.
I've used it a half dozen times after trail runs so far, it does well. I aired down 34" tires (315/70/17 KO2s) to 12-14 psi, and it took less than 5 minutes per tire to get back up to about 32 psi. No overheating, although the compressor definitely got hot to the touch. After a few uses the tight lock down loosened up enough to lock onto the valves.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I've used it a half dozen times after trail runs so far, it does well. I aired down 34" tires (315/70/17 KO2s) to 12-14 psi, and it took less than 5 minutes per tire to get back up to about 32 psi. No overheating, although the compressor definitely got hot to the touch. After a few uses the tight lock down loosened up enough to lock onto the valves.
heads up. My lockdown froze up. To the point that I had to put my body weight into trying to clamp it down. I sprayed some white grease under the metal on metal portion where it pivots. It’s smooth as hot butter now. If you’re is still rough I highly recommend it.

the compressor itself has been great.
Sponsored