Using just Auxiliary Mopar Switch vs switch bank kit

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
If i want to retrofit a bank of switches for lights and stuff, I know they sell the whole kit for 400 dollars that includes relays, is very customizable and requires flash programing. Sounds like a major headache.

I also know they sell just the instrument cluster switch piece of the kit (part 68317694AE ) for around 50 dollars. Can i just use them as buttons to activate existing relays that I already have? I have a bunch just dangling under the instrument cluster as i have not found a way to mount them. But it seems like i should be able to use the instrument switch just as a switch it finish the circuit and turn the lights on (each button has two connectors on the back).

It is not just the cost of the high end system, but if i have everything wired up, i really do not want to change what i have in place.
Sponsored

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
i cant give you any info on NOT using the wiring harness but i do have a switch bank if you want for 30 bucks just pm me if you want if

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I have no idea if this is accurate for the mopar switch, but here’s the diagram from the forum database.

Jeep Wrangler JL Using just Auxiliary Mopar Switch vs switch bank kit 1627352130104

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A cool feature of the factory AUX switches and harness is they are programmable and they work with the head unit and the Uconnect system.

"Control up to 4 interior or exterior accessories and keep the factory trim look. Designed to work with your Wranglers UConnect system, this kit allows for custom programming of your new auxiliary switches for features such as constant power to allow your accessory to work while the Jeep is turned off or switched power so your accessory will turn off when your Jeep is turned off so as not to drain your battery. Switches can also be used as momentary switches where the switch is only active while you are pressing the button or latched switches for one touch on or off. The Mopar Auxiliary Switch Bank Kit comes with 4 switches, power distribution center, bracket, wiring harness, cubby bin for Sport or Sahara models only, tie straps, splice kit and black switch bank trim to match your factory Sport or Sahara package trim or chrome bank trim for your Rubicon package."

Note: Final installation requires a Computer Flash from your local Dealership

Here are the installation instructions so you have an idea of whats involved.
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/K6862528_B.pdf

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Don’t want to be too much of a downer but the switch bank in the cubby is just a communication device to the BCM. Pushing any of the buttons merely tells the BCM to activate one of the relays, either momentarily or latching, depending on how you have the auxiliary switches set up.

Gregj

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
The aux switch kit is, indeed, a major headache. I think I spent like 15 hours on that installation. It sucked.

However, if your Jeep didn't come with that feature, there is more to getting it working than just installing the control panel, and plugging it into a dead connector.

OP
OP

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
Don’t want to be too much of a downer but the switch bank in the cubby is just a communication device to the BCM. Pushing any of the buttons merely tells the BCM to activate one of the relays, either momentarily or latching, depending on how you have the auxiliary switches set up.

Gregj
Thanks this is what I was looking for. I wanted just a nice panel to use my own relays but seems like the instrument panel buttons may not be the right option. why does no one just make a simple nice blank for that section?

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I bought the Mopar AUX switch kit and ran all the wires, found out I already had a wiring harness in the center console. Ignored it for a few days until I was unable to get the kit plug working, even had the dealership flash the VIN. Out of curiosity I plugged in the existing plug and the lights lit up. however now I need to get power to the relays. Anyone out there with a 2021 JL that already had the AUX plug hidden in the dash and used it?

2023-05-03_19-41-11.png
Sponsored