Upgraded Sound System

TuunbaqJL

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport-S
I recently upgraded my 2020 JLU Sport-S 7in Uconnect radio to the new 10in Stinger radio, so now I am looking into upgrading all my speakers as well. I am looking to have something I can hear at least somewhat clearly when I have the windows, doors, and top off while at "street" speeds(~45mph or less). Obviously I know when getting up to highway speeds I will probably struggle at least some due to the lack of speakers and amount of open space. I have seen people upgrade their 3.5 speakers to new/better speakers as well as upgrading to 6.5 speakers using the Metra Speaker Pods and SSV Works speaker adapters. My question is, has anyone went from 3.5in speakers to 6.5in speakers and if so was the upgrade THAT noticeable? Also what speakers did you upgrade to?

I also plan on upgrading my sound system by adding a subwoofer and amp, but my biggest concern comes when running my jeep “naked” and securing my stuff. I have looked at a lot of aftermarket security options including under-seat boxes, tailgate boxes, center console boxes and none of these really provided much secure space. I have seen the Tuffy cargo area box and Diabolic Slipstream but both seem to only be compatible with the OEM subwoofer in which I do not have. Does anyone know of any security systems that secure the entire cargo area but still have room for a sub like the JL Audio Stealthbox (yes, I know I can cut out the area the stealthbox is in from these systems to make it fit) or even have the part number for the OEM subwoofer box? I would like a sub box that takes up little to no space in the cargo area as I intend on using the Jeep to do some overlanding and need as much cargo space as I can get.

I know there are probably 100+ posts like this so I appreciate any feedback!

-TuunbaqJL
Sponsored

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2020 Rubicon Recon
I kept the factory headunit but upgraded the speakers and amp. I put in metra 6.5 speaker pods for the front. I used for the soundbar and sub the SSV Works enclosures. For the system itself I went with Alpine X Series components in front and soundbar. Put in the alpine DSP, alpine 5 channel amp and Alpine sub. The ssv works sub enclosure takes up very little room and has a much more aggressive look that matches the jeep well.

I have not had the DSP professionally tuned, I have just tuned it by ear at this point.

I had the premium system before and would often have it maxed out. With the new setup I turn it just past half way before it gets too loud. On the highways with the top down and the doors off I can still hear it perfectly. I love it.

My only issue was the ANC had to be disconnected, I did not realize how much that did help with road noise.

I almost pulled the trigger on the stinger, but decided to wait and do the other stuff first...how do you like it?

OP
OP
TuunbaqJL

TuunbaqJL

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport-S
I love the stinger so far, I like the expandability it has to it. I can add a separate HDMI source as well as 4 additional cameras (not installed yet) on top of the rear camera to help with picking the perfect line. Of course this is all on top of the larger 10in screen. Not to mention all of the gauges and off-road maps you get like with the 8.4in Uconnect also come with the Stinger. I got it for a little over $1700 shipped so when comparing it to the 8.4 factory that goes for $1600 it was a no brainer since the Stinger radio also came with the RadioPRO (which is normally $280). So for the price it seems, so far at least, to be the better deal.

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I love the stinger so far, I like the expandability it has to it. I can add a separate HDMI source as well as 4 additional cameras (not installed yet) on top of the rear camera to help with picking the perfect line. Of course this is all on top of the larger 10in screen. Not to mention all of the gauges and off-road maps you get like with the 8.4in Uconnect also come with the Stinger. I got it for a little over $1700 shipped so when comparing it to the 8.4 factory that goes for $1600 it was a no brainer since the Stinger radio also came with the RadioPRO (which is normally $280). So for the price it seems, so far at least, to be the better deal.
What are the inputs for the 4 cameras? I’d like to order them in advance of the radio. Thanks!
Sponsored