Unlocking Rubicon Sway bar difficult??

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
This is my first Rubi, so I’m not sure what to expect from the electronic sway bar disconnect. I’ve tested the system twice. In 4lo, sitting on very level ground, the sway bar won’t disconnect or reconnect unless I rock the Jeep. Is this normal? Does the system loosen up over time?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first Rubi, so I’m not sure what to expect from the electronic sway bar disconnect. I’ve tested the system twice. In 4lo, sitting on very level ground, the sway bar won’t disconnect or reconnect unless I rock the Jeep. Is this normal? Does the system loosen up over time?
Yes, some movement is usually required to get it to disconnect and reconnect.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Straight from the owner's manual:
NOTE: The stabilizer/sway bar may be torque locked due to left and right suspension height differences. This condi- tion is due to driving surface differences or vehicle loading. In order for the stabilizer/sway bar to disconnect/ reconnect, the right and left halves of the bar must be aligned. This alignment may require that the vehicle be driven onto level ground or rocked from side to side.
I know you said you were on level ground but who knows. I think I was rolling very slow when I tested mine.

OP
OP
Guy N Cognito

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
Straight from the owner's manual:
NOTE: The stabilizer/sway bar may be torque locked due to left and right suspension height differences. This condi- tion is due to driving surface differences or vehicle loading. In order for the stabilizer/sway bar to disconnect/ reconnect, the right and left halves of the bar must be aligned. This alignment may require that the vehicle be driven onto level ground or rocked from side to side.
I know you said you were on level ground but who knows. I think I was rolling very slow when I tested mine.
Trust me, it was quite level. I tried the rocking because I read the manual first, I was just surprised that it needed help even in optimal conditions.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Trust me, it was quite level. I tried the rocking because I read the manual first, I was just surprised that it needed help even in optimal conditions.
Understood. How about we agree they are somewhat finicky? I guess time will tell. Not that I need that around here.

Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yea the first time I tried to engage it on my JL I was on a trail and the Sway Bar light just kept flashing so I said screw it. Now I usually just hit the button and keep rolling at like 5-10 mph and it unlocks/locks very quickly

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I need to rock it sometimes, very simple and not a problem in my opinion.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is normal on both my O8 JK and the JL. Sometimes it is instant, sometimes, even on level ground, it takes awhile. I had to take apart, degrease, wire brush, and re-grease my JK's disconnect mechanism. With some wear and high quality marine grease, it engages and disengages quicker than when new, usually, but still sometimes needs a bit of movement to line up.

OP
OP
Guy N Cognito

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
This is normal on both my O8 JK and the JL. Sometimes it is instant, sometimes, even on level ground, it takes awhile. I had to take apart, degrease, wire brush, and re-grease my JK's disconnect mechanism. With some wear and high quality marine grease, it engages and disengages quicker than when new, usually, but still sometimes needs a bit of movement to line up.
Thanks. Good to know.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I tried it back when I bought my Rubicon 6 years ago at the dealership on level ground. I noticed the same thing. I never unlocked the sway bar ever again because I'm not 100% sure it will reconnect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Guy N Cognito

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
I tried it back when I bought my Rubicon 6 years ago at the dealership on level ground. I noticed the same thing. I never unlocked the sway bar ever again because I'm not 100% sure it will reconnect.
Mine works. I’ve done it several times now, but I have to get out and rock the Jeep every time. Better than laying in the dirt, but not exactly what I expected.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't worry about it so much. I've put the one on my JK through hell and back, including dunks under water and mud. After 125k miles, It was a corroded mess, but the motor still worked. I took it apart, with the help of YouTube, a dremel with wire brush, and some good quality marine grease, then put it back together. It works better than ever. I'll be taking it apart, inspecting, and regreasing it probably around 200k. I'm hoping the JL seals better, but if not, I'll take it apart and service it around 80 or 90k miles.

It was the 1st generation, and I used it many, many times. I think it is a great feature that just could have been slightly better executed on the earlier JK's. I don't get into mud anymore like I used to, so that may help a little. I also think the marine grease would have made a big difference, too. Not sure what they used, but it didn't like water, for sure. I would love to know if they upgraded the grease on the JL.
Sponsored