Sponsored

Sway bar disconnect in 4HAuto

Kirk247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
I just received my new 2021 4xe Rubicon a few weeks ago and have been playing around with the features. One thing I notice is that if I pput the Jeep in 4HAuto and press the sway bar disconnect button it tells me it had to be in 4H or 4Lo. If I press the button slowly 3-4 times it keeps saying that, but actually disconnects by the 3rd or 4th press. Has anyone else seen this behavior, is this a bug? Thanks
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my new 2021 4xe Rubicon a few weeks ago and have been playing around with the features. One thing I notice is that if I pput the Jeep in 4HAuto and press the sway bar disconnect button it tells me it had to be in 4H or 4Lo. If I press the button slowly 3-4 times it keeps saying that, but actually disconnects by the 3rd or 4th press. Has anyone else seen this behavior, is this a bug? Thanks
I noticed the same back when my 2019 Rubi was new. Until the freshness wears in, the t-case lever and the sway disconnect were both a bit stiff and stubborn. Now, after some use, the t-case shifts smooth like butter and the sway isn't as stubborn. I do have to occasionally rock the jeep side to side from the drivers seat to help unload the sway disconnect. It likes to be in a very neutral and level position when unlocking.

OP
OP

Kirk247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
I noticed the same back when my 2019 Rubi was new. Until the freshness wears in, the t-case lever and the sway disconnect were both a bit stiff and stubborn. Now, after some use, the t-case shifts smooth like butter and the sway isn't as stubborn. I do have to occasionally rock the jeep side to side from the drivers seat to help unload the sway disconnect. It likes to be in a very neutral and level position when unlocking.
The point I'm bringing up isn't that it's sticky (as was the transfer case on my 2018 JLU when it was new too), but that I can get the sway to disconnect in 4Auto mode, even though the screen keeps telling me it only works in 4H and 4Lo. The 4xe Rubicon's have the all-time 4wd option like the previous Sahara's did with Selec-Trac. What I've found is even though the screen tells you it won't work in 4Auto, if you press it enough times it does :). Maybe a software debugging feature held over from the software team, or maybe it really should work in 4auto (which I think it should) even though it says no. I found this because 1 time after disconnecting the sway bar in 4H and then switching to 4Auto, I noticed it didn't reconnect the sway bar (like it does if you switch to 2wd)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The point I'm bringing up isn't that it's sticky (as was the transfer case on my 2018 JLU when it was new too), but that I can get the sway to disconnect in 4Auto mode, even though the screen keeps telling me it only works in 4H and 4Lo. The 4xe Rubicon's have the all-time 4wd option like the previous Sahara's did with Selec-Trac. What I've found is even though the screen tells you it won't work in 4Auto, if you press it enough times it does :). Maybe a software debugging feature held over from the software team, or maybe it really should work in 4auto (which I think it should) even though it says no. I found this because 1 time after disconnecting the sway bar in 4H and then switching to 4Auto, I noticed it didn't reconnect the sway bar (like it does if you switch to 2wd)
Oh yeah, forgot about that set it and forget it auto mode. I can see now why having a disconnect block would make sense in full time mode. Maybe you stumbled across that specific safety bypass?

OP
OP

Kirk247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
Oh yeah, forgot about that set it and forget it auto mode. I can see now why having a disconnect block would make sense in full time mode. Maybe you stumbled across that specific safety bypass?
Interestingly, even in 4Auto once I have the sway disconnected it still properly reconnects past 20 MPH and re-disconnects below 20 MPH so no real safety issue I don't think.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly, even in 4Auto once I have the sway disconnected it still properly reconnects past 20 MPH and re-disconnects below 20 MPH so no real safety issue I don't think.
I guess there isn't a safety. I just assumed so because it wasn't disconnecting until you hit the button a few times. I don't have the full time t-case, so I'm not familiar with it.
Sponsored