Sponsored

Understanding Rims/tires size compatibility

5Ma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
https://goo.gl/images/IAv0UH

I’m trying to understand the compatibility of the tires/rims combo. From the chart above, seems min/max width for a tire that can go onto a 7.5” width rims is 205mm to 235mm so why does the factory standard wheels/tires size outside of this range?
Wheels are 17x7.5” and tires are 285/70R17.

I’m new to all this and try to search the internet for answers but can’t find an explanation. Please help, thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
https://goo.gl/images/IAv0UH

I’m trying to understand the compatibility of the tires/rims combo. From the chart above, seems min/max width for a tire that can go onto a 7.5” width rims is 205mm to 235mm so why does the factory standard wheels/tires size outside of this range?
Wheels are 17x7.5” and tires are 285/70R17.

I’m new to all this and try to search the internet for answers but can’t find an explanation. Please help, thanks in advance.
Great question!

OP
OP
5Ma

5Ma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Because the chart is wrong.
Obviously something is wrong.
Dan,
I saw your post on another thread about putting on 315/70r17 on the OEM wheels, you have experience with it so I’m sure you knew they will fit before you buy the tires but for a beginner, how can we tell if a 12.4” tire width will fit on a rim with 7.5” width?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The tire manufacturer will usually have similar charts on their websites. I would first check those for the brand of tires you have.

Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Dan,
I saw your post on another thread about putting on 315/70r17 on the OEM wheels, you have experience with it so I’m sure you knew they will fit before you buy the tires but for a beginner, how can we tell if a 12.4” tire width will fit on a rim with 7.5” width?
I started looking at specific tires I wanted and they usually have “Sizes & Specifications” for the various tires they sell in that model.

3379389A-97EA-4AA1-9FA4-9857F5359218.png

9C66F9DD-1B54-419D-833E-3A8585C83261.png

These are examples for the Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan,
I looked at JK-forum.com and they had a thread where literally hundreds of owners have put 35's on 7.5" stock rims and nobody reported any problems. I'm currently running 32lbs of pressure to even out the contact patch. Some have said they've gone as low as 30. As far as ride/handling, it feels just fine. BF Goodrich lists 8.0 inches as the smallest width, but Discount Tire Direct and my local Discount Tire store had no issue with putting them on there. Different brands of tires may perform differently, however.

My recommendation is to check with your tire dealer, first.

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
I wouldn't worry about putting a 35x12.5 on the stock 7.5" rim. Like Dan said, hundreds of people have done it without issues.

Check out David Van Voris Jeep - he has 37x13.5 on stock Rubicon wheels! Those are huge tires. He drove them for tens of thousands of miles, including hardcore offroading in Moab.

He even did the hot tub with them!

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm another who ran 315 70 17s on my stock rubicon rims (7.5" width) with zero problems on-road or off and I aired down to 18-20 psi off-road.

Bris18JL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
With this set up do you need spacers? I want to know the largest size tire on stock wheel without spacers. Any help would be great.

Sponsored

Bris18JL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
What’s the largest tire we can run on the stock wheels wit NO spacers?
I'm another who ran 315 70 17s on my stock rubicon rims (7.5" width) with zero problems on-road or off and I aired down to 18-20 psi off-road.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What’s the largest tire we can run on the stock wheels wit NO spacers?
That, I do not know for the JL. I had that setup with stock 7.5 rubicon rims, 315s with wheel spacers on my JKUR and I absolutely had to have wheel spacers or it would have rubbed badly. Even with 285s, I think it would have rubbed without wheel spacers using stock rim. The JL is different...at least the rubicon is since it has the 285s on the same rim width. It's probably because of the wider axles on the JL rubicon and how the suspension has changed that allows the 285s without rubbing the suspension.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
From what I understand, 17x9 Wheels with 285/70/r17 tires will get you 33 inches- the most you can throw on without rubbing or lifting. The only thing I dont know is what backspace and offset to get.
Im leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T II. For rims, the Ultra 238 Gauntlet got some great reviews and a very cheap price.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
From what I understand, 17x9 Wheels with 285/70/r17 tires will get you 33 inches- the most you can throw on without rubbing or lifting. The only thing I dont know is what backspace and offset to get.
Im leaning towards the Toyo Open Country A/T II. For rims, the Ultra 238 Gauntlet got some great reviews and a very cheap price.
Depends on the offset/backspace on whether or not they'll rub during flexing. It is sounding like as long as you have the right offset/backspacing, that you can run 35s with no problem on the road and light offroading unless you get near full articulation. I'm still trying to verify how much rubbing. For instance, if you never disconnect, you won't get full articulation. Would it rub then?

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
I wouldn't worry about putting a 35x12.5 on the stock 7.5" rim. Like Dan said, hundreds of people have done it without issues.

Check out David Van Voris Jeep - he has 37x13.5 on stock Rubicon wheels! Those are huge tires. He drove them for tens of thousands of miles, including hardcore offroading in Moab.

He even did the hot tub with them!

I just wanted to add an amendment to this comment...

While it is possible to put large tires on the stock 7.5" rims, and there is plenty of evidence that people have success with it, that doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do it.

I contacted about a dozen tire manufacturers and vendors online and asked them all the same question, and they all had the same answer. It's always recommended to use the official rim size min and max specified on the tire. Using a thinner rim increases your risk of sidewall damage, bead slippage, and has an overall negative impact on driving performance. A 9" rim is unanimously agreed as the optimal tire width for a 35"x12.5" tire.
Sponsored