Sponsored

U-Connect Map Update for $99 - what improvements / feedback?

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The Uconnect map can be useful... A few days ago I got in the Jeep after hours in 95 degrees F. I connected my iphone to Car play for Google maps. I was also talking on the phone.

About 8 minutes later the phone got so hot that it shut off. Good thing I had the address I wanted in the Uconnect history.

It happened a few other times when the Jeep was very hot inside. Once it cools down to a reasonable temperature, the phone doesn't overheat anymore.

I like builtin maps!
Sponsored

Xphyle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
I have received and installed the update on 08/19/21. It included 2 USB sticks. One was a required Uconnect update to ver. 21.14.14. It was 20.42.11. The only difference I have noticed is google maps is now nearly full screen. The 2nd USB was the map update, dated 8/11/21. I got this after traveling in GA and FL on roads that were not on the map.
Hi Jeff. I have a question about the install. Just got my map update USB sticks today. I paid the $99 special price for the 2020 Map update. The first stick used to upgrade the Uconnect to version 21.14.14 went fine. Then I did the 2nd USB MAP update. About 3/4 of the way through I got a failed message, but when I hit the OK button it resumed right where it left off and completed ok. After it finished, it told me it had finished and the nav was ready to use and to press "OK", which I did. The radio didn't reboot, or restart or anything. It just went back to the NAV screen. So I went into dealer mode to check the version of the map software by holding the temp up, temp down, and defrost button for like 10 seconds. I went to Dealer Mode > System Information > Navigation and it says that the "Map Database Version" is "PROD_2018.03.07_MY18...". The map update is supposed to be 2020! Why is it still showing 2018 database version? Can you please check your radio and see what your Map Database Version is showing?

One last thing, I did try to re-install the Map update. I put the USB stick back in and the instructions said it would only install if the version on your radio was older than the version on the USB stick. I figured it would tell me that the versions were identical since I just had supposedly upgraded sucessfully. To my surprise it told me there was an update available and did I want to install it. So I said YES and it started the install process again. It got up to about 36% and then just stopped and said install was successful! So I checked the Map Database Version in the Dealer Mode menu, and it still shows the 2018.03.07 version.

Xphyle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Got the update Friday. The install took a little over an hour. Just follow the instructions and make sure you park in a shady spot some where out side as the vehicle has to remain running the whole time.
Hi! I have a question about the install. Just got my map update USB sticks today. I paid the $99 special price for the 2020 Map update. The first stick used to upgrade the Uconnect to version 21.14.14 went fine. Then I did the 2nd USB MAP update. About 3/4 of the way through I got a failed message, but when I hit the OK button it resumed right where it left off and completed ok. After it finished, it told me it had finished and the nav was ready to use and to press "OK", which I did. The radio didn't reboot, or restart or anything. It just went back to the NAV screen. So I went into dealer mode to check the version of the map software by holding the temp up, temp down, and defrost button for like 10 seconds. I went to Dealer Mode > System Information > Navigation and it says that the "Map Database Version" is "PROD_2018.03.07_MY18...". The map update is supposed to be 2020! Why is it still showing 2018 database version? Can you please check your radio and see what your Map Database Version is showing?

One last thing, I did try to re-install the Map update. I put the USB stick back in and the instructions said it would only install if the version on your radio was older than the version on the USB stick. I figured it would tell me that the versions were identical since I just had supposedly upgraded sucessfully. To my surprise it told me there was an update available and did I want to install it. So I said YES and it started the install process again. It got up to about 36% and then just stopped and said install was successful! So I checked the Map Database Version in the Dealer Mode menu, and it still shows the 2018.03.07 version.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Hi! I have a question about the install. Just got my map update USB sticks today. I paid the $99 special price for the 2020 Map update. The first stick used to upgrade the Uconnect to version 21.14.14 went fine. Then I did the 2nd USB MAP update. About 3/4 of the way through I got a failed message, but when I hit the OK button it resumed right where it left off and completed ok. After it finished, it told me it had finished and the nav was ready to use and to press "OK", which I did. The radio didn't reboot, or restart or anything. It just went back to the NAV screen. So I went into dealer mode to check the version of the map software by holding the temp up, temp down, and defrost button for like 10 seconds. I went to Dealer Mode > System Information > Navigation and it says that the "Map Database Version" is "PROD_2018.03.07_MY18...". The map update is supposed to be 2020! Why is it still showing 2018 database version? Can you please check your radio and see what your Map Database Version is showing?

I Installed mine today. I had to do the software first - no problems. Then the maps and I had to call their customer service to get activation code. The URL in the instructions didn't work for some reason. Once I put in the activation code, it took off on it's own. It does take about 30 minutes for each update/upgrade (system and also maps). No complaints now that it's in. I can see roads that weren't on the original version.

When I went into Dealer Mode and looked at the Navigation, it shows the same System Info as before but the last 4 characters are different. After install, it is PREPROD_2017.09.12_MY18v2_CW37LUNA_CONTENT_NA_HM_19Q2
The old System Info had HM_17Q2

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
I got the map update email today with a cost of $149. How are some getting it for $99. Please advise.

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I got the map update email today with a cost of $149. How are some getting it for $99. Please advise.
Email, not requested just received. From Uconnect Navigation.

RubicoReza

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I got the email for the map update last week. My car is a 2021 bought in Nov of 2020. Not even a year old yet and they want to charge me for the update. Does anyone else think it’s ridiculous they want to charge for the update??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I got the email for the map update last week. My car is a 2021 bought in Nov of 2020. Not even a year old yet and they want to charge me for the update. Does anyone else think it’s ridiculous they want to charge for the update??
@RubicoReza

Personally, .....as someone that interstate travels a lot, I wonder why anyone would even use the built in Nav, as it is laughable at best.

Reality is regardless of how current the update on a vehicle's Nav, there is no way in hell that the maps could be as current, accurate and more then Google Maps or Waze is. Not to mention that Maps and Waze is live/fluid so to speak.... alerts you to traffic, detours, road hazzard's, Leo's and more...

And NO, you do not need cell phone coverage to use Google Maps! You can save maps based ton locales you will travel to on your smartphone.

I do believe in the next few years vehicles will not even have built in Nav.... as it is pathetic. Vehicles will just have a radio that is Android Auto and Car Play friendly and no more...

Save your money.... do not update built in Nav !

On edit: I just realized I already commented in this thread.... 8-)

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Probably so... I figure there has to be a new update coming soon anyway. And the speed limit on the GPS map is about as accurate a broken compass...
Now that totally surprises me. Perhaps my perception is not shared, but I've found it accurate nearly all the time. In fact, it even has the special temporary speed limits for construction zones. I suspect that's the uConnect traffic update feature that's making that possible?

PS: Hell, it's been so accurate that I wish it put the speed limit on the dash right next to my MPH display.

RubicoReza

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@RubicoReza

Personally, .....as someone that interstate travels a lot, I wonder why anyone would even use the built in Nav, as it is laughable at best.

Reality is regardless of how current the update on a vehicle's Nav, there is no way in hell that the maps could be as current, accurate and more then Google Maps or Waze is. Not to mention that Maps and Waze is live/fluid so to speak.... alerts you to traffic, detours, road hazzard's, Leo's and more...

And NO, you do not need cell phone coverage to use Google Maps! You can save maps based ton locales you will travel to on your smartphone.

I do believe in the next few years vehicles will not even have built in Nav.... as it is pathetic. Vehicles will just have a radio that is Android Auto and Car Play friendly and no more...

I personally use Waze but am flabbergasted that they want to charge for an update to a less than a year old car. You would think they would offer a couple of years of free maps. My wife’s Audi Q7 gave free map updates for 3 Years. Still we don’t use that either. It just speaks as how the company is. I love my jeep but not who builds it.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The only improvement you'll get from spending $99 on a map that will still be outdated by a least a year or two is the weight of your wallet.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
@RubicoReza

@Rhinebeck01, I have to disagree with you. I like my NAV system and on a trip recently from Ohio to Spring Hill TN, it alerted me when there were backups and suggested alternate routes. The maps are a year or 2 old and didn't have my son's road on it and for that, I used my iPhone.

I don't use the iPhone for the entire trip for a couple reasons. 1. the phone does get very hot doing the maps especially for hours on end. 2. I don't have unlimited data on my plan and it's easy to use all the data for the 4 of us on the plan.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01, I have to disagree with you. I like my NAV system and on a trip recently from Ohio to Spring Hill TN, it alerted me when there were backups and suggested alternate routes. The maps are a year or 2 old and didn't have my son's road on it and for that, I used my iPhone.

I don't use the iPhone for the entire trip for a couple reasons. 1. the phone does get very hot doing the maps especially for hours on end. 2. I don't have unlimited data on my plan and it's easy to use all the data for the 4 of us on the plan.
@jeepdriver99

My guess is you are an older guy ...and sounds like you travel rarely.. and are not real Maps or Waze savy.

You do not need to use your cell phone or data plan with Maps if you do not want to... are concerted about using up your data plan allotment.

You download the Maps when you are home, etc. with WiFi and save to phone .

As for Android smartphone getting hot with hours of use... must be your phone has issues... I drive often for up to 17 hrs. non stop except for gas and a burger, etc and my smartphone never has issues to like overheating, etc.

You just can't compare Google Maps or Waze to built in Nav... no way.

To each his own.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
@jeepdriver99

My guess is you are an older guy ...and sounds like you travel rarely.. and are not real Maps or Waze savy.

You do not need to use your cell phone or data plan with Maps if you do not want to... are concerted about using up your data plan allotment.

You download the Maps when you are home, etc. with WiFi and save to phone .

As for Android smartphone getting hot with hours of use... must be your phone has issues... I drive often for up to 17 hrs. non stop except for gas and a burger, etc and my smartphone never has issues to like overheating, etc.

You just can't compare Google Maps or Waze to built in Nav... no way.

To each his own.

@@Rhinebeck01 I guess if late 60s is an older guy, then I am. I have and still do travel a good bit but rarely need GPS unless I'm going someplace I haven't been before. And for that, I appreciate the convenience of having a NAV system.

I was not touting the NAV as being better than Google Maps or Waze. I use Google Maps on my iPhone (not Android) often and it does have more up to date maps such as where my son lives. I have never used Waze.

The point of my response was to say that looking at NAV from a different perspective, you might understand " ... why anyone would even use the built in Nav, as it is laughable at best. " It has it's uses and I for one, think those uses are valid and preferable.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I interstate travel thousands and thousands of miles yearly in my 2018 JL....... and even I can't see paying $ for that update. Makes little sense to me..... a waste of $.

Anyone, that travels... uses GPS, is far far far better off using Google Maps with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Stock NAV .... onboard Nav, even when running current ver. maps is laughable at best. Same same regarding any brand vehicle's onboard GPS.
On that note, has insane audio fixed their NavEngine bugs, and does anyone like that Nav program as an OHV guide...trying to decide between OHV GPS units/programs.
Sponsored