Turning off Auto Lock

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Previously, I had only seen this "feature" on Japanese brands of 4x4s. My Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Frontier, etc. had this. If you unlock the vehicle with the key fob, a countdown timer starts. If you don't open a door in a certain amount of time (20 seconds I think) the vehicle will automatically relock all the doors.

To my dismay, this is now a "feature" on the Wrangler JL. I don't hate it as bad as AutoPark, but I do hate it nonetheless. Has anyone found a setting in the menu somewhere to turn this off?? I have looked but don't see anything.

There are many times when I'll unlock the Jeep from inside the house, then grab arms full of stuff to take out to load in the Jeep, and before I get there the Jeep has re-locked itself. So then I have to set everything down and unlock it again. Ugh! Pain in the.....
Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Previously, I had only seen this "feature" on Japanese brands of 4x4s. My Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Frontier, etc. had this. If you unlock the vehicle with the key fob, a countdown timer starts. If you don't open a door in a certain amount of time (20 seconds I think) the vehicle will automatically relock all the doors.

To my dismay, this is now a "feature" on the Wrangler JL. I don't hate it as bad as AutoPark, but I do hate it nonetheless. Has anyone found a setting in the menu somewhere to turn this off?? I have looked but don't see anything.

There are many times when I'll unlock the Jeep from inside the house, then grab arms full of stuff to take out to load in the Jeep, and before I get there the Jeep has re-locked itself. So then I have to set everything down and unlock it again. Ugh! Pain in the.....
If you have arms full of stuff, how are you opening the doors?

Try putting the key fob in your hand when you have your arms full of stuff and push the unlock button when you get to the Jeep

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
Could be wrong but if you open the door it won't re-lock. Right?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I saw this once in a rental car. I arrived at the cabin and parked outside the front door. I went inside with a bag and placed my wallet and keys in the drawer next to the bed. I went outside to get another bag - and the car had locked itself. So annoying!
My wife has a modern car and the feature can be turned off in the options menu.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Do the doors automatically lock after you start driving and unlock when you place the car in park in the JLs?

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do the doors automatically lock after you start driving and unlock when you place the car in park in the JLs?
I think so, but I've had that turned off since day 1 so I'm not able to recall. Usually, before I do anything else I go through and turn off all the silly "safety" features. Seat belt chimes, auto locks, etc. The AutoPark thing is the one that still drives me crazy. Lol. :)

I guess nobody else is bothered by the automatic re-lock "feature" on the JL. Maybe some more info. will pop up in the future as more people take ownership of these new Wranglers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I think so, but I've had that turned off since day 1 so I'm not able to recall. Usually, before I do anything else I go through and turn off all the silly "safety" features. Seat belt chimes, auto locks, etc. The AutoPark thing is the one that still drives me crazy. Lol. :)

I guess nobody else is bothered by the automatic re-lock "feature" on the JL. Maybe some more info. will pop up in the future as more people take ownership of these new Wranglers.
I can turn the door relocker off in my Honda. Guess Jeep doesn’t want you to have the option to turn it off.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Preference is probably very dependent on geographic area and crime rates. Here in Chicago, car jackings were getting out of control. Car jackers figured out people were locking their doors more so they adapted and changed tactics. They bump your car with their car and jump into your car and drive off when you get out to inspect your car.
Sponsored