TSB Steering box notes and suggestions

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Just thought I would leave a few notes to anyone thinking about having the TSB done to get you aluminum steering box replaced with the cast iron one.

Firstly, the dealership did not give me many problems about the swap. Keywords they want to hear are that the steering wanders.

I had actually had the synergy sector shaft brace on which I uninstalled as well as my synergy trackbar before I brought it in. I don't know if they would have been a pain on the trackbar... But I can almost guarantee they would have pitched a fit at the sector shaft brace.

I brought it in on Tuesday morning 8am to get it diagnosed, I had a call by 10:45am same day declaring it was ready to pick up and they had done the swap. Pretty quick.... So I drove it home and I have to say it was NOT a night and day difference. So I looked around the forums a bit and discovered a mention of someone else getting the swap done and the dealership not putting in enough power steering fluid. So I let my jeep rest a few days incase there was any fluid cavitation(doubt it), picked up some mopar power steering fluid from the dealership ($20 for a pint, ouch) and topped off what I found to be just below minimum power steering fluid level. Lifted the front axle, put it on jack stands and cycled from full lock left to full lock right and back 60 times. Every 5 times I checked fluid level and typically found just below min line, so I would top off and do another 5 times. The level became stable after 40 times(possibly 30). I did another 20 for good measure.... I read between 20 and 60 but generally the 60 being added a power steering cooler as well. Couldn't help myself, plus if your going to jack it up and go through all the effort......... I did not need to use more than a third of the pint.

Anyway, I also plan on putting a trackbar brace back on, steer smarts this time, as well as my trackbar and such. At that time I will double check all torque values. I really prefer to do all the work on my vehicles myself just for the peace of mind, unfortunately this kind of thing is why. Nobody is going to care as much about my jeep/vehicle as much as I will.

Morale of the story, maybe go bleed your power steering, TSB or not, it might help with the steering dead spots.
Sponsored