New Steel Steering Box TSB 08-074-20 - amazing results

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just had this installed on my 2020 JLU Sport. Damn what a difference! I didn't even realize how bad the slop in the steering was until it was gone!
Perfect timing since I will be getting my Clayton 2.5 Overland kit and my Exact Center SS installed later this month!
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Its an amazing improvement. Mine was so bad before this repair was made that my wife refused to drive the Jeep.

My dealership mechanics are not reliable so I went behind them and checked all of the bolts. Found the shaft coupling bolt loose and had play there. I even went a step further and adjusted the steering box to remove a bit more play. I don't recommend doing this unless you are familiar with how to do it properly. Yours may be perfectly fine without doing this. Besides doing this does potentially void the warranty on the steering box.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its an amazing improvement. Mine was so bad before this repair was made that my wife refused to drive the Jeep.

My dealership mechanics are not reliable so I went behind them and checked all of the bolts. Found the shaft coupling bolt loose and had play there. I even went a step further and adjusted the steering box to remove a bit more play. I don't recommend doing this unless you are familiar with how to do it properly. Yours may be perfectly fine without doing this. Besides doing this does potentially void the warranty on the steering box.
Honestly I didnā€™t think a lot of it before the upgrade, just figured it was a Jeep thing :/
It didnā€™t really matter when I bought it because I wanted the Jeep n no matter what haha

Yeah Iā€™m putting my faith in the techs here because despite having experience in lots of other things mechanics isnā€™t one unfortunately šŸ˜¢

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

All my gear box bolts were just snugged down, not the approx 100 ft lbs that they should have been, the shaft bolt & pinch nut were reused (and these are NEVER to be reused) and my reservoir cap was left on the side of the motor. Good thing I never trust a dealers work, I mean what could go wrong w/ a loose steering box right :headbang: šŸ˜Ø :headbang:šŸ˜Ø

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honestly I didnā€™t think a lot of it before the upgrade, just figured it was a Jeep thing :/
It didnā€™t really matter when I bought it because I wanted the Jeep n no matter what haha

Yeah Iā€™m putting my faith in the techs here because despite having experience in lots of other things mechanics isnā€™t one unfortunately šŸ˜¢
I pretty much accepted mine too as its a Jeep so... But when My wife was driving beside of a semi and it was damn near impossible to maintain the lane, I started researching stuff and found the TSB info.

Well, my dealership has a poor track record from previous service experiences. I was expecting something amiss anyway.

At a standstill and engine off, move the steering wheel left and right of center about an inch or so quickly. If you hear or feel clunking, I would verify that the coupling is tight. mine had an obvious clunking sound and feel. After tightening, its almost absent of anything like that. It's an easy check and fix if needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All my gear box bolts were just snugged down, not the approx 100 ft lbs that they should have been, the shaft bolt & pinch nut were reused (and these are NEVER to be reused) and my reservoir cap was left on the side of the motor. Good thing I never trust a dealers work, I mean what could go wrong w/ a loose steering box right :headbang: šŸ˜Ø :headbang:šŸ˜Ø
Yikes!! Now Iā€™m really hoping they did everything properly šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pretty much accepted mine too as its a Jeep so... But when My wife was driving beside of a semi and it was damn near impossible to maintain the lane, I started researching stuff and found the TSB info.

Well, my dealership has a poor track record from previous service experiences. I was expecting something amiss anyway.

At a standstill and engine off, move the steering wheel left and right of center about an inch or so quickly. If you hear or feel clunking, I would verify that the coupling is tight. mine had an obvious clunking sound and feel. After tightening, its almost absent of anything like that. It's an easy check and fix if needed.
Iā€™ll check tomorrow. On the drive home everything felt great truly like a new vehicle

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Damn! I was just thinking my dealership mechanics are the worst, but I think yours win that title lol.

I absolutely never fully trust them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Damn! I was just thinking my dealership mechanics are the worst, but I think yours win that title lol.

I absolutely never fully trust them.
Oh, almost forgot, mine is a 2dr and they ordered, and almost installed the incorrectly ordered 4dr box :( At least the parts guy double checked and reordered the correct box as the 2 dr has a different steering ratio. This put a 3 week delay on the job but at least I didn't have a tighter turning ratio on an already tight turning 2dr, lol.
Sponsored