Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone has to get their TIPM (fuse box) changed due to wacky electrical symptoms?

ie: wipers going off by themselves, losing gauge readings, can’t turn off Jeep, can’t shift, etc…

if not, and you were experiencing symptoms, what are the end, if any, was the cause and solution?

other than trying to find a solution to my issues, if we can get a post where people can go to in order to try and troubleshoot the problems without having to spend hours perusing through different posts, that would be great!
I know I use this forum a lot when issues arise to see how others dealt with it.

This could be a information post for all.

my troubleshooting so far:

Cleaned and tightened all ground
New batteries
New green star connector/ canbus
Cleaned grounds again
Inspected harness ( to the best of my ability)
Disconnected all non factory accessories
Disconnected door, radio and HVAC connections to eliminate short
Reseated fuses
Swapped relays
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Anyone has to get their TIPM (fuse box) changed due to wacky electrical symptoms?

ie: wipers going off by themselves, losing gauge readings, can’t turn off Jeep, can’t shift, etc…

if not, and you were experiencing symptoms, what are the end, if any, was the cause and solution?

other than trying to find a solution to my issues, if we can get a post where people can go to in order to try and troubleshoot the problems without having to spend hours perusing through different posts, that would be great!
I know I use this forum a lot when issues arise to see how others dealt with it.

This could be a information post for all.

my troubleshooting so far:

New batteries
New green star connector/ canbus
Cleaned grounds
Inspected harness ( to the best of my ability)
Disconnected all non factory accessories
Disconnected door, radio and HVAC connections to eliminate short
Reseated fuses
Swapped relays
Electrical problems suck, sorry you're going through that. I will say though, if you've done all that's listed then I would definitely be checking grounds. A grounding fault can cause some seriously weird shit.

OP
OP
geem03

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Brought it in the the dealer, they traced the issue back to the power steering pump.

only issue is that the pump is on back order and I can’t seem to find any aftermarket ones.

I’ve found some on eBay but I don’t want to replace a faulty one with another faulty one…

this just keeps getting better and better…

OP
OP
geem03

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Got the pump, removal and install went well. Took about four hours as I was flying by the seat of my pants….

took her out to town with no issues so far…. Fingers crossed 🤞

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Have you replaced an aux. battery in the past by going through the top and pulling apart the fuse box?

Sponsored

OP
OP
geem03

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Have you replaced an aux. battery in the past by going through the top and pulling apart the fuse box?
Yes, just need to be careful when reconnecting the four block connector under the TIPM. Make sure you put them on straight on.
Takes about 15-20 minutes to do start to finish.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, just need to be careful when reconnecting the four block connector under the TIPM. Make sure you put them on straight on.
Takes about 15-20 minutes to do start to finish.
BINGO! That’s probably the root cause of your electrical problems. Next time take it out through the bottom like it was designed.

OP
OP
geem03

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
BINGO! That’s probably the root cause of your electrical problems. Next time take it out through the bottom like it was designed.
No it wasn’t because everything started before the batteries were changed. The batteries were replaced as a probable solution to the situation. The battery swap wasn’t even my first attempt to a solution to the problem.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it wasn’t because everything started before the batteries were changed. The batteries were replaced as a probable solution to the situation. The battery swap wasn’t even my first attempt to a solution to the problem.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Having preexisting electrical issues is an even bigger reason not to tear apart the fuse assembly to change your aux battery. I had those exact symptoms in my JK and the entire TIPM had to be replaced.

OP
OP
geem03

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Having preexisting electrical issues is an even bigger reason not to tear apart the fuse assembly to change your aux battery. I had those exact symptoms in my JK and the entire TIPM had to be replaced.
Yes, a bad TIPM could have been the culprit but in this case it appears to be my power steering pump as since I have replaced it, the symptoms seem to have subsided.

Also, I started this post to assist others with similar symptoms to help diagnose their issues and to not have to search for hours on end through posts after posts looking for help. How they go about it is their choice. I have never stated that the procedure that i did ( and I did research it and decided to go that route) was the correct way to access the auxiliary battery. I have had a couple of people comment (almost rudely) about that and honestly, I couldn’t care less. To me, that topic is beating a dead horse.

If you want to start a post on how to remove and replace the auxiliary battery, then be my guest. I am sure it will be educational to all the readers. I know that in my case, the main reason I read these posts is so that if I have issues, I can learn from others who have experienced similar ones than I.

I do appreciate that you stated that in your case it was a bad TIPM as now that can be considered as a possible causative source.

Hopefully that will help someone in the future. 👍

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, a bad TIPM could have been the culprit but in this case it appears to be my power steering pump as since I have replaced it, the symptoms seem to have subsided.

Also, I started this post to assist others with similar symptoms to help diagnose their issues and to not have to search for hours on end through posts after posts looking for help. How they go about it is their choice. I have never stated that the procedure that i did ( and I did research it and decided to go that route) was the correct way to access the auxiliary battery. I have had a couple of people comment (almost rudely) about that and honestly, I couldn’t care less. To me, that topic is beating a dead horse.

If you want to start a post on how to remove and replace the auxiliary battery, then be my guest. I am sure it will be educational to all the readers. I know that in my case, the main reason I read these posts is so that if I have issues, I can learn from others who have experienced similar ones than I.

I do appreciate that you stated that in your case it was a bad TIPM as now that can be considered as a possible causative source.

Hopefully that will help someone in the future. 👍
Noted. I thought that you were still looking for a solution to the issue so I was simply suggesting that based on past history of you pulling apart the fuse assembly to replace the aux battery (or anyone else that has done that and now has electrical issues) it might be a place to check since pins can be bent or other parts not fully seated by replacing the aux battery that way. No disrespect to those that choose to take the risk and do it that way. Glad to hear that you found the fix.
Sponsored

Last edited: